Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    Would say I'm very happy Grealish and Bellingham are in there.
  • Options
    Birmingham fans going to be gutted Bellingham isn’t no.22
  • Options
    4 right backs is a farce
  • Options
    Chris Solly on standby?
  • Options
    Happy with that squad. Nobody left out I’m bothered by.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Lingard is going to start tomorrow’s friendly against Austria. Seems odd if being left at home. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    No matter who he selected, people would be whinging.

Just goes to show how much young English talent there is about though at the moment that we have these sorts of headaches.

I think it’s a decent squad.
    I said after one of the last friendlies, we have around 50 good standard players but really struggle to get a world class 11 together.

I fear Southgate will make a number of selections I wouldn’t in relation to Sterling, Rashford etc 
  • Options
    Warming up by playing players we haven't taken.

Genius Gareth ffs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do love squad announcement day, people losing it over a couple of fringe players not selected. It's about as strong a squad as he could have picked.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Genius Gareth ffs.

The reason is that the City, United, and Chelsea players either won't have joined up with the squad yet, or will have joined up on the day (United players I believe). Just by my quick counting that's 11 players that will be missing. So it makes sense to have someone like Lingard stand in and play, say, the "Mount role" or "Foden Role" to let others play around them, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    No matter who he selected, people would be whinging.

Just goes to show how much young English talent there is about though at the moment that we have these sorts of headaches.

I think it’s a decent squad.
    I said after one of the last friendlies, we have around 50 good standard players but really struggle to get a world class 11 together.

I fear Southgate will make a number of selections I wouldn’t in relation to Sterling, Rashford etc 
    This is it for me too. A lot of quality in depth, but the first 11 are good, but perhaps not world class. Now, the team with the best first 11 doesn't necessarily win a tournament. I think that's especially true this year, after the condensed season and short pre-season. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Laddick01 said:

Genius Gareth ffs.

The reason is that the City, United, and Chelsea players either won't have joined up with the squad yet, or will have joined up on the day (United players I believe). Just by my quick counting that's 11 players that will be missing. So it makes sense to have someone like Lingard stand in and play, say, the "Mount role" or "Foden Role" to let others play around them, if that makes sense.
    I understand keeping him around to make up the numbers whilst others join up with the squad.

Starting him seems weird though. Especially when you have Saka, Sancho, Grealish available and Rice/Phillips behind them.

I just don't see the logic in starting him.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Does any side have 11 world class players though? Even France and Portugal have limitations.

We have a very good group of players, especially going forward.

I don't think we'll win it, because we have a horrid draw, but I make us a top 4 side.
  • Options
    Some excellent numbering by Gareth there, no complaints. I get why Southgate has chosen the squad he has. The fact is, unless he's injured Kane isn't even going to come off the pitch regardless of how he plays because there's always the chance he'll nick a goal. Calvert-Lewin will more likely come on alongside him if we really need a goal. With that in mind I can see why Southgate wouldn't bother with 3 strikers; if Kane gets injured we're pretty screwed anyway. Having versatility of shape in the team is good though, our lack of ability to react to Croatia pushing their full backs forward and pinning our wing backs is what knocked us out of the World Cup. Between Trippier, James and Walker we've got options based on pace, strength and reliability, as well as some versatility from all three of them. The idea of playing TAA in midfield makes me slightly nervous though. We've got great attacking options available on the wings and the ability to shut games down through converting to a 5 man defence where the weaknesses at centre half can be mitigated by exceptional full backs. It's a good squad
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Laddick01 said:

Genius Gareth ffs.

I understand keeping him around to make up the numbers whilst others join up with the squad.

Starting him seems weird though. Especially when you have Saka, Sancho, Grealish available and Rice/Phillips behind them.

I take your point. I'm guessing Southgate will play a 4-3-3, which means you have Rice/Phillips, Henderson, and one more in the center of midfield. It's not really a 10, it's an "8.5" role. Again, I think it's what Mount and Foden will play, and there isn't another really suited to play it apart from Lingard. I think Southgate sees Grealish and Sancho (and probably Mount at times at least) as wingers. 

Just my thoughts. I understand why it's counter-intuitive though. I think the last thing I'd add is that apart from Maguire, Henderson, and arguably Grealish, none of these players are short on minutes in their legs. So I don't know that missing 45 or 60 minutes in a friendly is doing anyone a great disservice. 
  • Options
    TAA is a supreme talent and can play as conventional RB, attacking wing back or in midfield.
    Walker can play in a 3 at the back or wing back/ attacking RB.
    Trippier can play RB or LB.
    James is awesome, when i saw his debut, he reminded me of Joe Gomez the way he Floats over the Ground.

The number 2 and 3 are now so important positions as anyone who saw Sterling and Mahrez negated by James and Chilwell will testify.

Trent and Robertson at Liverpool are so attack minded especially when Van DijK and Gomez were around.

Stronger squad than the last tournament in attack, wide forwards and full backs but midfield and CB's may be our weaker positions depending on partnerships. 
  • Options
    Birmingham fans going to be gutted Bellingham isn’t no.22
    They will have to retire that shirt now as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4 RB's is mental. I can see the case for Walker as a CB, maybe Gareth doesn't rate any of the CB options so has picked him there rather than at RB. Still think picking all of the other 3 is crazy, but then with having a squad of 26 you're always going to be stacked in a position or two. 
  • Options
    Some excellent numbering by Gareth there, no complaints. I get why Southgate has chosen the squad he has. The fact is, unless he's injured Kane isn't even going to come off the pitch regardless of how he plays because there's always the chance he'll nick a goal. Calvert-Lewin will more likely come on alongside him if we really need a goal. With that in mind I can see why Southgate wouldn't bother with 3 strikers; if Kane gets injured we're pretty screwed anyway. Having versatility of shape in the team is good though, our lack of ability to react to Croatia pushing their full backs forward and pinning our wing backs is what knocked us out of the World Cup. Between Trippier, James and Walker we've got options based on pace, strength and reliability, as well as some versatility from all three of them. The idea of playing TAA in midfield makes me slightly nervous though. We've got great attacking options available on the wings and the ability to shut games down through converting to a 5 man defence where the weaknesses at centre half can be mitigated by exceptional full backs. It's a good squad
    My problem is that it’s a very high probability Kane will get an injury. In which case, we’ve DCL and that’s it without having to change the whole team shape. Rashford couldn’t play that role, nor could any other,  and if we are struggling for a goal or making things work up top, I’d personally rather have Watkins come on than another like for like switch of one of those floaty players. 
  • Options
    My problem is that it’s a very high probability Kane will get an injury. In which case, we’ve DCL and that’s it without having to change the whole team shape. Rashford couldn’t play that role, nor could any other,  and if we are struggling for a goal or making things work up top, I’d personally rather have Watkins come on than another like for like switch of one of those floaty players. 
    Agreed, I'd have taken another out and out striker such as Watkins over Trent or Trippier. 
  • Options
    Is it a very high probability? Maybe over the course of a full season but I don't see why it's very likely Kane will get hurt at the Euros, he's not got badly injured at a major tournament before. In an ideal world we could rest some players in the final group game but other than that I think Kane can get through the tournament unless we're really unlucky
  • Options
    Is it a very high probability? Maybe over the course of a full season but I don't see why it's very likely Kane will get hurt at the Euros, he's not got badly injured at a major tournament before. In an ideal world we could rest some players in the final group game but other than that I think Kane can get through the tournament unless we're really unlucky
    He was definitely carrying an injury after the Columbia game 3 years ago.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Laddick01 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Laddick01 said:

Genius Gareth ffs.

I take your point. I'm guessing Southgate will play a 4-3-3, which means you have Rice/Phillips, Henderson, and one more in the center of midfield. It's not really a 10, it's an "8.5" role. Again, I think it's what Mount and Foden will play, and there isn't another really suited to play it apart from Lingard. I think Southgate sees Grealish and Sancho (and probably Mount at times at least) as wingers. 

Just my thoughts. I understand why it's counter-intuitive though. I think the last thing I'd add is that apart from Maguire, Henderson, and arguably Grealish, none of these players are short on minutes in their legs. So I don't know that missing 45 or 60 minutes in a friendly is doing anyone a great disservice. 
    Makes sense. I just think that Gareth should be using these games as real practice for those fringe players. You don't get much chance to experiment in the tournament, now is the chance.

I'd be lining up with Rice and Bellingham and then 4 in front. Saka, Grealish, Kane and Sancho would be perfect for that system.

But yeah it probably is a bit irrelevant, I'm sure he knows the 11 by now anyway.
  • Options
    I loathe 4231 with 2 holding players, unless you have midfielders that can really pass the ball between the lines.  I suspect it’s going to be 352/343 with Walker at centre back , maybe Shaw too if Maguire isn’t fit , hence the need for 7 potential full back options in the squad 
  • Options
    Don't know why Ollie Watkins isnt named in the final 26......but Saka of Arsenal is. 

Reminds me of Darren Bent being overlooked by Walcott...(another Arsenal player).

David Dein paying soneone off again....?
  • Options
    Has Southgate been sniffing glue? Really don't get 4 rbs.

He wouldn't play it in a million years, but would love to see us play

------------Henderson
    James-Stones-Maguire-Chillwell
    Sancho---Henderson---Sterling
    ------ Grealish----Foden
    ----------------Kane

Against the sweeties. Would be double figures 

• Options
    Don't know why Ollie Watkins isnt named in the final 26......but Saka of Arsenal is. 

Reminds me of Darren Bent being overlooked by Walcott...(another Arsenal player).

David Dein paying soneone off again....?
    Versatility appears the key word with this England team:

A lot of players can cover numerous positions; Saka is effectively the left sided Alexander-Arnold