Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I’m booked in Benenden Kent for a few days in May. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Just spent £700 getting a tow bar and bike rack for my car...I get The impression this year‘s holiday might not be very far from Snodland-upon-Kent
    Centre of the universe is Snodland...

Happy memories of Snodland. My two played for Snodland Nomads from 6-18 and lots of good friends there.
    I lived in Halling - 1985-2008
  • Options
    Snodland Town now Bob have made their kits for 30 years now.
  • Options
    Snodland is up and coming, Halling as Bob says is a nice place to live. 

I know people who live in Burham and Wouldham don't like it but that Peters bridge has made Snodland a lot less hillbilly to us Chatham and Rochester dwellers 

Easy access to M20 and M2 Leybourne lakes on the doorstep few decent pubs. I mean the locals still point at aircraft but Rome wasn't built in a day
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Snodland is up and coming, Halling as Bob says is a nice place to live. 

I know people who live in Burham and Wouldham don't like it but that Peters bridge has made Snodland a lot less hillbilly to us Chatham and Rochester dwellers 

Easy access to M20 and M2 Leybourne lakes on the doorstep few decent pubs. I mean the locals still point at aircraft but Rome wasn't built in a day
    It's  lovely here to be honest.  We are on Holborough Lakes and we only occasionally get interlopers from Snodland on the development 

To be honest though we love it here - great links for A2 and M20, London half an hour one way, the coast 45 min the other way. countryside literally 1 min away and you get more property for your money elsewhere in Kent

Having said that I would still rather go abroad for my actual holiday...
  • Options
    Anyone else find a lot of the whinging about no foreign holidays a bit OTT.

There's a virus about, people have been dying, lost their jobs etc, there's worse things than likely having to take your holiday in Cornwall or the Lake District etc this year.

Absolutely. And much better for the domestic economy if most holidays are taken here.
  • Options
    Will make the eventual proper holiday all the sweeter. 
  • Options
    The above wasn't aimed at anyone on here by the way!  Think people here have had a "a shame, but can't be helped" approach whereas some of the social media stuff I've seen is daft.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:

There's a virus about, people have been dying, lost their jobs etc, there's worse things than likely having to take your holiday in Cornwall or the Lake District etc this year.

Absolutely. And much better for the domestic economy if most holidays are taken here.
    Exactly, safer and better for the country as a whole given some of the areas that rely on tourism will be struggling so badly.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Swisdom said:
    Just spent £700 getting a tow bar and bike rack for my car...I get The impression this year‘s holiday might not be very far from Snodland-upon-Kent

Happy memories of Snodland. My two played for Snodland Nomads from 6-18 and lots of good friends there.
    Played many a game against Snodland Nomads during my Black Lion days!
  • Options
    UK Holidays will boom this year which is great for the UK economy, let's just hope the weather holds for more than a day!

As much as I'd love a bit of Cyprus Sun it can wait until next year.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I accept that whinging about holidays is perhaps unpalatale but there is a deeper issue than someone missing their 2 weeks in Benidorm. The below in italics relates to 2017 (produced by ABTA which represents domestic and overseas tourism). The benefits to the UK economy of domestic tourism this year will be materially counterbalanced by the shortfall in overseas travel and the economic deficit this will create. Capacity in the UK is relatively finite - their are only so many cottages in Cornwall, and they are full every year (though this year they will demand a decent premium). The aim has to be to restart tourism where it is possible to do so, domestic and overseas, to optimise the economic benefit to this country of tourism in its wider sense. If overseas holidays are banned, the economy will suffer. I accept that that deficit may be necessary given the ongoing situation, but "most holidays being taken here" shouldn't be seen as an obvious economic benefit, because it isn't. 

Outbound travel’s economic contribution to the UK totals £37.1 billion in Gross Value Added (GVA), which amounts to around 1.8% of UK Gross Domestic Product (GDP). This includes a direct contribution of £15.9 billion (GVA), which is equivalent to around 1% of GDP. The sector directly sustains 221,000 UK jobs – a higher employment figure than provided by the entire wholesale and retail distribution of motor vehicles and motorcycles, and also more jobs than the UK’s iron and steel or electrical equipment manufacturing industries.

In addition, total expenditure within the UK by residents engaged in outbound travel reached £45.7 billion in 2017. This spend exceeds the amount spent in every overseas holiday destination combined. 

• Options
    We have a week booked in Jersey at the end of June; not part of the UK as such but the CTA so thought it would be more likely to go ahead than full overseas. I guess we'll have to see what the Jersey authorities decide in June. And a villa in Spain end September which I would have thought 50/50 at best, although reading the potential ban may only be up until August or 'end of the summer' but that could change either way. Only need to pay a deposit until date travel but got a clause added to the villa booking that the deposit is refundable if we can't travel due to covid restrictions.

Apart from the villa we have resorted to packages (with reputable companies who have good reviews for refunding due to covid situation) rather than going it alone. Have booked Cape Verde mid Jan too.

It seems a lot of people are taking advantage of the newer flexible booking conditions, booking numerous holidays, not knowing how many they can actually go on and intending to cancel others if they can take some. Must make it a nightmare for the holiday companies and those renting out domestic accommodation, not knowing if someone will cancel by choice rather than being forced to.
  • Options
    no foreign ventures allowed ? .. OK, a few days in Scarborough then across country to Morecambe is on the cards
  • Options
    no foreign ventures allowed ? .. OK, a few days in Scarborough then across country to Morecambe is on the cards
    Get booked ASAP, I mentioned on here months ago UK holidays are booking fast. We are sorted for Cornwall in July but out of interest I looked at the weekend to see what was left and it is going fast. This news will speed the process up.
  • Options
    Places in Cornwall are bad enough people wise in July but this year will be rammed. To get into say Padstow you’ll have to park in Truro. Think I’ll give the summer months a swerve and go mid September somewhere to avoid the crowds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get booked ASAP, I mentioned on here months ago UK holidays are booking fast. We are sorted for Cornwall in July but out of interest I looked at the weekend to see what was left and it is going fast. This news will speed the process up.
    We booked 3 days on the IoW after the Easter school l holidays months ago. A couple of the cottages were left when I last checked and are nearly 3 times as much; such a rip off. We booked a lovely hotel in Lyme Regis for a few days in June and cancelled as we thought we couldn't go and wanted to give them as much notice as possible. It sold overnight but they didn't not put the price up, and we discovered the very next day we could go; fortunately we found an alternative, also not at elevated prices.

I can understand why prices have shot up, but I think longer-term, folk will remember how  companies/businesses/establishments have treated customers with refunds and pricing etc.
  • Options
    and any hotels are already making 15% more if they haven't dropped their prices due to the temporary reduction in VAT to 5%.

I don't mind paying a bit more but a few I've stayed at before are double price.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    and any hotels are already making 15% more if they haven't dropped their prices due to the temporary reduction in VAT to 5%.

I don't mind paying a bit more but a few I've stayed at before are double price.
    Agreed. Fair enough. I understand about 'market forces' but personally we won't use a company in the future who have not dealt with refunds fairly or timely or have raise their prices 3 fold. In fact we will actively support those who have acted fairly

We have always found Virgin Atlantic brilliant but (crossing over with a separate, earlier thread) we will not use Booking.com or Virgin Holidays again but will look to use British Airways Holidays or Travel Counsellors (there is a consultant there who I highly recommend (and Travel Counsellors are rated v highly in a Which? survey) if anyone ever wants their details)
  • Options
    Don’t forget Booking.com are owned by booking holdings who own:

Booking.com
    Priceline.com
    Agoda.com
    Kayak.com
    Cheapflights
    Rentalcars.com
    momondo
    Mundi
    OpenTable
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Don’t forget Booking.com are owned by booking holdings who own:

Booking.com
    Priceline.com
    Agoda.com
    Kayak.com
    Cheapflights
    Rentalcars.com
    momondo
    Mundi
    OpenTable
    Thanks; useful to know but none of the 'trusted' brands we have seen recommended since covid
  • Options
    We have two weeks booked in Croatia in August, originally booked for last year.

We managed to change the EasyJet flights at no cost as they wouldn’t give a refund (one of the flights did proceed and we had to make a decision before this). Also we managed to put the accommodation back a year.

Haven’t a clue if EasyJet will let us change the flight again or if we can push the accommodation again.

If the flights take off, EasyJet won’t refund unless it’s forbidden (and then they have been really slow apparently).

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Swisdom said:

You can take the bloke out of Snodland...
    But you can't take Snoddy out of the bloke!
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Can't believe in depth holiday talk is about the delights of Snodland rather than Seychelles.
    Getting to Snodland is at least 5k cheaper than the Seychelles...
  • Options
    Places in Cornwall are bad enough people wise in July but this year will be rammed. To get into say Padstow you’ll have to park in Truro. Think I’ll give the summer months a swerve and go mid September somewhere to avoid the crowds.
    A tent on the pitch in SE7, anyone?
  • Options
    Id still love to get home and spend some quality time with my boys......seems unlikely we will even get two vaccinations here before the year end. Its pathetically slow here sometimes.