Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Solidgone said:
    Currently on the French Riviera (Cavalaire sur mer). While in Nice/Monaco every bar restaurant has to see your Covid Vaccine certification and scan the QR code before admittance. I did see a couple turned away. Although it’s on my phone, i have a paper copy in my wallet for easier access. 
    Been told the same in Spain
    It wasn't where I was, didn't get asked once for any form of certification although it may happen in the big cities. 
    Interesting. My Spanish teacher and a few friends and colleagues have told me you need to - will be prepared, just in case
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Wilma said:
    I'm thinking of going to Edinburgh for a few days in November. Anyone been recently and can recommend hotel, restaurants, places to visit?

Thanks in advance 

The steak pie in this place is the best I’ve ever eaten, went there for evening dinner 3 times, worth going to Scotland for this alone!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-d19989006-Reviews-The_Piper_s_Rest_Public_House-Edinburgh_Scotland.html
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I'm thinking of going to Edinburgh for a few days in November. Anyone been recently and can recommend hotel, restaurants, places to visit?

Thanks in advance 
    I am going for the Christmas markets at the end of November. I booked a few weeks ago and during this time the travelodge I have booked as doubled in price. If the are thinking of going got the markets get in quick, the prices are increasing rapidly. I have booked the train for less than £60 each first class.
    Hoping to go before the Christmas market. I live not far from Winchester now so going to visit there instead. 
  • Options
    Going to Somerset next week after a last minute booking, staying in what seemed to be the last dog friendly cottage available in the country. 
    Not bothered about the weather, it'll be dog walks, cream teas (mainly for Mrs Idle), cider and pasties all week long. 
  • Options
    To board an easyJet to Nice I was wearing my cafc mask. Unfortunately they only let people through if wearing a surgical mask. Be prepared. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    To board an easyJet to Nice I was wearing my cafc mask. Unfortunately they only let people through if wearing a surgical mask. Be prepared. 
    I've been on I think 6 flights with EasyJet in the last 4 or 5 months and never once had a problem with my non-surgical mask. Strange. 
  • Options
    Maybe the stewardesses are wall fans? 
  • Options
    Goodwood revival this weekend, can’t wait. My outfit must have shrunk over lockdown though as it doesn’t fit. Nearest hotel I could get is in Emsworth, which looks a nice enough place.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    IdleHans said:
    Going to Somerset next week after a last minute booking, staying in what seemed to be the last dog friendly cottage available in the country. 
    Not bothered about the weather, it'll be dog walks, cream teas (mainly for Mrs Idle), cider and pasties all week long. 
    Got a decent bit of weather for it @IdleHans !
  • Options
    Cheers, @AFKABartram. Had a great week, sun every day (not all day every day) but perfect for walking the dog out on Exmoor and on the beach. Middle of September often seems to be good for weather, great when the children are grown up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone going La Palma, we would normally be out there now had it not been for Covid. We stay at the hotel at the foot of where the volcanic eruption is. Love it out there stay safe everyone in the vicinity.
  • Options
    https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-passport-eu-brexit-uk-b1909813.html

I have just become aware that the UK may be interpreting the EU rules on UK passport validity incorrectly. I, like may others, thought it had changed since Brexit but it seems it has not and that additional validity on a 10 year passport can be counted when travelling to an EU country.

The article on the linked is worth a read - although don't want to be responsible for anyone being denied boarding! I have logged onto CL especially to post this as think and hope it could save a few Lifers' (and Lifers' friends' and familys') trips

I have contacted someone at the FCDO to check if the TA wording should be revised. From the article, it seems TUI, Jet2 and EasyJet are not denying boarding if the 3 months validity is additional months added when the passport was renewed.

I have not heard of anyone being refused entry at an EU border due to insufficient validity on their UK passport, which would likely have happened if TUI etc have changed their interpretation incorrectly.

I recall someone on here thinking he would not be able to travel when it seems (according to Simon Calder 5 days ago) he should have been. As it was a few weeks ago, the airline might have denied him boarding anyway.

It is down to individuals to make their own checks but it does seem to be the case 

• Options
    Bump, as may be useful for some Lifers
  • Options
    Not much help with Covid/Flights etc but going down to North Cornwall next Thursday for 8 x nights.
  • Options
    Was looking at prices for centreparcs in Suffolk during half term and it was a piss take. I guess people are willing to pay it though as it sold out. 
  • Options
    Was looking at prices for centreparcs in Suffolk during half term and it was a piss take. I guess people are willing to pay it though as it sold out. 
    Take the kids away outside the school holidays.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    School are hot on it apparently 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    School are hot on it apparently 
    Drop the kids off round the teachers house then and tell the teacher, see you in 2 weeks.