Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Love Bowyer and think he will turn it round just need the platform of a solid defence back and we will start winning again ridiculous to talk about getting rid of him COYR
  • Greenie said:
    Who would we get in though ?
    karel Freye?
    Jose Riga?
    Guy Luzon?
    Russel Slade?
    Bob Peters?
    Karl the Bin Dipper?

Who is out there that would come to a third division club and could do a better job with the current wage caps etc?

I say give Bow this transfer window and see where we are at seasons end.

I'd welcome Jose Riga back. Just seemed to keep things simple for the players (like Curbishley and Lawrence did) and seemed very calm. 

But if LB is to continue, he just needs to make us as solid as he can and hope that Schwartz can nick us a goal here and there for a couple of much-needed 1-0's 
  • Bowyers comments last night with regards to Maddison’s injury were utterly outrageous and one of the worst things I can ever remember a CAFC manager saying. 

To me he has the subconscious desire to turn the squad of players into replicas of him.

Yes he was a fine player (no he wasn’t as good as he probably thinks - 1 England cap?)... but his game was based on aggression and hard work. We don’t need 11 clones - we need a mix.

When you consider his make up as a human being off the pitch (allegations of racial abuse, assaulting fast food staff, fighting team mates on the pitch) we should perhaps not be surprised that the human relations side of management is now proving a step too far.

He has to go. 

• MrOneLung said:
    Have had issue with Bowyers selections and player positions last month or so, but yesterday’s team was much better and the loss for this one was on the players. 

HOWEVER, you cannot come out and say you don't care if one of your players is seriously injured. 
    You expect your players to go out and play for you and you then say that ?
    wouldn’t be surprised if we hear of reports of the team expressing their unease as such comments 
    The team was better and probably requires tweaking. Morgan didn't work in that formation for some reason. JFC was ok. Against Rochdale I'd put Williams in for Morgan and start Aneke. We need to allow them to build some understanding. Gilbey isn't there yet, but I think he is getting closer.
  • The squad is not good enough, simple as that. I would imagine Bowyer has lost it a lot over the past year and I don’t blame him. He probably finds it hard to except that players cannot do the things he found easy to do. After all he played at level this squad will never get close to. 
    I doubt Bowyer was all  that optimistic with the players before we were rid of the previous owners. He was able to bring a few in but again with the salary cap I doubt he would have been jumping for joy. 
    With an owner who clearly wants success I think we have allowed ourselves to dream a little more than we should, I certainly find it frustrating to watch players not do the simple stuff.  Maybe Bowyer should be a better than that in interviews but he is clearly frustrated by the same basic mistakes each game. 
    I’d be happy to just get this season over and draw a line under things. A proper pre-season with a rethink of the playing staff like Chris Powell did a few years back. 
  • My view is that  Bowyer has definitely lost the dressing room.
    Whether that includes Jackson as well I am not sure.

I think another poor performance on Tuesday evening and it is probably the end.
  • Have we improved this season? No, albeit with whats gone on he gets a bit of credit but with the players we have at our disposal we should be at least competitive 
  • Simonsen said:
    Greenie said:
    Who would we get in though ?
    karel Freye?
    Jose Riga?
    Guy Luzon?
    Russel Slade?
    Bob Peters?
    Karl the Bin Dipper?

Who is out there that would come to a third division club and could do a better job with the current wage caps etc?

I say give Bow this transfer window and see where we are at seasons end.

I'd welcome Jose Riga back. Just seemed to keep things simple for the players (like Curbishley and Lawrence did) and seemed very calm. 

But if LB is to continue, he just needs to make us as solid as he can and hope that Schwartz can nick us a goal here and there for a couple of much-needed 1-0's 
    I liked Jose, but he’s very tainted by association with Roland - no thanks.
  • edited January 2021
    The question is do we wait till the end of the season with Bowyer and fail to go up and then get in a new manager or do we do do something now ? 
    I don’t think TS will do the latter but you never know ? 
    Agree, I don’t think TS will. That being said, we shouldn’t think that just because Sandgaard comes across as this fun, big hearted almost philanthropic type of bloke that he will put up with nonsense. He’s a successful businessman and I doubt he got that way by suffering fools gladly, particularly if it impacts his business plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer isn't the brightest bloke in the world and his limited vocabulary hinders him when talking to the press. This is exaggerated when he can not express himself as he would would like in times such as yesterday when he is frustrated. He sounded like a moody 14 year old (on a bad day). We are setting him up for a fall if asking him to talk to Valley Pass after every game.

For what it's worth. Maddison is a wrongun. His negative influence on the team (particular those on the periphery of the first 11) and challenge to Bowyer's authority on a daily basis has weakened Bowyer's position. It was an error to bring him to the club.

Maddison is rotten to the core and how Bowyer untangles the situation and gets him out of the club or at least away from effecting the first team will be crucial to Bowyer getting the team cohesion somewhere near good enough to win games again. 
    I'm assuming this is based on inside knowledge (not being sarcastic btw, found your post interesting/intriguing).

Do you mean periphery of the first six, as no-one, not least the manager seems to have a clue who the first 11 are!!
  • Think he is just thinking too much. Perhaps because of his character trying to prove he knows best by changing the team members and formation to surprise / bring awe. 
    Just stick to a formation and decide on best XI. Learn from Lincoln, Accrington etc. 
    Everyone is saying it including Curbs. 

• Last night from Bowyer was pure frustration. The Pearce mistake was shocking for a player of his experience. If my son did that playing u16s football as a centre half he would get it in the ear from me all week. Not good enough indeed. 
    Accrington are a good side and to go 1-0 down to them with our current confidence level it was always going to be tough.
    But Maddison is a tough one. We all said on here how we dodged a bullet when he went to Hull. Nothing has changed. Very gifted footballer but he has issues. Bowyer is too honest and that was pure frustration coming out. But it is unprofessional and does not do him any favours?
  • Saying he doesn’t care about a players injury is a step too far. Maybe lockdown has had a bad effect on his mental health as his post match comments have been strange lately.
  • se9addick said:
    The question is do we wait till the end of the season with Bowyer and fail to go up and then get in a new manager or do we do do something now ? 
    I don’t think TS will do the latter but you never know ? 
    Agree, I don’t think TS will. That being said, we shouldn’t think that just because Sandgaard comes across as this fun, big hearted almost philanthropic type of bloke that he will put up with nonsense. He’s a successful businessman and I doubt he got that way by suffering fools gladly, particularly if it impacts his business plan.
    TS has gone (for him) very quiet on social media. Like others, I think if we lose on Tuesday, TS will have to make a change to save the season. The salary cap is stunting his ambition and he wants to get out of this League at the first attempt. For the first time, sadly, I think Bowyer is no longer the manager to take us up.
  • I think the feelings at the moment are heightened by the current situation we find ourselves in as individuals with covid, I don't know about you lot, but football is and was my day/evening away from shit, almost my escape. 

We can only watch from a distance and have no sway or cant vent at a game or meet our mates and vent after a game over a pint etc....

Totally agree. I live alone and see very few people. Charlton games are my only real look forward to at the moment. How can I look forward to this dross and disappointment every week. I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that our team has become more important to me than at anytime in recent years, and what have we got. Basically the footballing equivalent of long COVID. 
  • Lose again on Tuesday & TS will have a big decision to make  
  • Sponsored links:

• Reckon he deserves 100% backing from supporters for this season at least. 
  • edited January 2021
    On paper we might have good players but are they the right characters? I would like Bowyer to be given a full summer transfer window to rebuild the squad, this season is a write off for me now.
  • Bowyer getting sixth after Robinson walked completely ruins my argument

But its also worth remembering we've had our joint worst seasons in this tier since 1974 when we finished 13th in both 2011 and 2017

That was when Parkinson was replaced with Powell and Slade was replaced with Robinson mid-season

Its why Bowyer gets until the end of the season for me and doesnt just get a "he has until October" time frame as thats just weird

I think if Bowyer goes now, our season is done... Could argue our season is done now anyway!!
  • he should, as said by the Moody Blues, GO NOW ..   
  • I think TS has to ask gallen and gedy??? The following question

has lee lost the dressing room

if the answer is yes, he has no alternative but to bring on someone else

if the answer is no, then I think he will give bowyer until the end of the season
    Totally agree. Despite what Bowyer said last night about Maddison, if he hasn't lost the dressing room I'd like to see him given a bit more time too. But if he has he has to go because you don't successfully turn that round. 
  • Looking on Twitter TS has liked various tweets backing Bowyer.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!