Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Vfrf said:
    I really don't understand how people are giving Bowyer grief for this one when it should be laid at the feet of the players today. Started with a back four made up of our first choice RB and LB and our two back up CBs because our main two are injured. Went 4-3-3 with pace out wide to deal with the fact our issues have been a lack of width and pace. In the midfield we were without our two proper holding midfielders and had to play JFC there, so Gilbey and Morgan were the logical choices to go alongside him as they offer more playing both ways. People were upset that Maddison and Williams didn't start but playing one of them is just asking to be overrun as part of that midfield. Unforunately Albie wasn't at it, Gilbey was just ok and JFC isn't the man to properly shield the defence. Pearce made a massive cock up and so did Maatsen for their two goals. We had 9 shots on target to their 3, but two of those were chances they couldn't miss because the defence handed it to them on a plate. Maddison and Williams both came on and proceeded to be absolute jank and justified not starting in that midfield because we went from not having much cohesion in there to having absolutely nothing. Williams was nowhere near the play and Maddison just drifted about. Chuks came on and failed to impact the game.
    We got what we wanted; a sensible formation, players in their correct positions, Bogle dropped, positive subs. The amount of changes we've had to make because of injuries and suspensions left that midfield lacking cohesion but other than that what can any manager do when an experienced centre half decides to fuck up a basic header back to his keeper, or your left back dawdles on the ball on the edge of his box? Not everything has to be laid at the manager's feet. We're missing our two best centre backs, our midfield creator and both our experienced holding mids. Tonight was disappointing but if your instinct is to throw a tantrum and want the manager sacked based on what he picked today then I don't think you're ever going to be happy. Seems now we're in League One if we're not beating unfashionable teams then everything is a disgrace. We've become shockingly entitled given what we've been through recently as fans
    Not to be too sarcastic, but when you're praising a manager for starting players in their rightful positions, you're off on a losing run. 

Aside from individual performance, passes weren't linking up, there seemed to be no cohesion between the team, took off a 'fully fit' player that was our only positive outlet in Millar, seemed buck out of ideas - just for a few.
    Sort of deliberately missing the point there I feel. People have been moaning about players being played out of position in recent weeks but this time it didn't happen. He played a line up that made perfect sense, the players just didn't do the basics. The line up was one that most would have gone with given the available players
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    I really don't understand how people are giving Bowyer grief for this one when it should be laid at the feet of the players today. Started with a back four made up of our first choice RB and LB and our two back up CBs because our main two are injured. Went 4-3-3 with pace out wide to deal with the fact our issues have been a lack of width and pace. In the midfield we were without our two proper holding midfielders and had to play JFC there, so Gilbey and Morgan were the logical choices to go alongside him as they offer more playing both ways. People were upset that Maddison and Williams didn't start but playing one of them is just asking to be overrun as part of that midfield. Unforunately Albie wasn't at it, Gilbey was just ok and JFC isn't the man to properly shield the defence. Pearce made a massive cock up and so did Maatsen for their two goals. We had 9 shots on target to their 3, but two of those were chances they couldn't miss because the defence handed it to them on a plate. Maddison and Williams both came on and proceeded to be absolute jank and justified not starting in that midfield because we went from not having much cohesion in there to having absolutely nothing. Williams was nowhere near the play and Maddison just drifted about. Chuks came on and failed to impact the game.
    We got what we wanted; a sensible formation, players in their correct positions, Bogle dropped, positive subs. The amount of changes we've had to make because of injuries and suspensions left that midfield lacking cohesion but other than that what can any manager do when an experienced centre half decides to fuck up a basic header back to his keeper, or your left back dawdles on the ball on the edge of his box? Not everything has to be laid at the manager's feet. We're missing our two best centre backs, our midfield creator and both our experienced holding mids. Tonight was disappointing but if your instinct is to throw a tantrum and want the manager sacked based on what he picked today then I don't think you're ever going to be happy. Seems now we're in League One if we're not beating unfashionable teams then everything is a disgrace. We've become shockingly entitled given what we've been through recently as fans
    Not to be too sarcastic, but when you're praising a manager for starting players in their rightful positions, you're off on a losing run. 

Aside from individual performance, passes weren't linking up, there seemed to be no cohesion between the team, took off a 'fully fit' player that was our only positive outlet in Millar, seemed buck out of ideas - just for a few.
    Sort of deliberately missing the point there I feel. People have been moaning about players being played out of position in recent weeks but this time it didn't happen. He played a line up that made perfect sense, the players just didn't do the basics. The line up was one that most would have gone with given the available players
    Nothing is deliberate there. The fact of the matter the players may well be not good enough, however most of this team have Championship experience, these aren't wet behind the ears teenagers. When you're losing to the bottom teams in the division, and convincingly, tactics and man-management clearly plays a role. Maybe the constant bashing in the media (look at today's comments on MM injury ffs) have played a part too. 

I just don't think Bowyer has the knowhow to use this group of players. Maybe somebody else will, but we know for sure that Bowyer doesn't.
  • Options
    Can only echo what others have said.  I was desperate for Bowyer to do well under an owner that would back him, but he's lost the dressing room. Whether it's the pressure of expectation under an ambitious owner or something else I don't know, but something's gone horribly wrong 
  • Options
    Can anyone name me a single successful manager who consistently singles out players in post match interviews? Some might call it being refreshingly honest but it creates a divide especially if there are players in the squad who are exempt from such criticism whatever they've done wrong in the game.
    Last one I can think of is Redknapp with Bent. Obviously I don’t listen to every interview but Bowyer has done it what, 4 times this season? It’s outrageous.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Leuth said:
    The players are terrified to make a mistake. It's abusive. It's gone so wrong. He's lost it. We need a manager that players will fight for, but also one they trust. 
    Spot on. Players will do “enough” - but too afraid to try anything and take chances to make anything happen. Our defence (with injuries) is no longer good enough to hold onto the rare goal we do manage

• Options
    Spot on
  • Options
    Can anyone name me a single successful manager who consistently singles out players in post match interviews? Some might call it being refreshingly honest but it creates a divide especially if there are players in the squad who are exempt from such criticism whatever they've done wrong in the game.
    Last one I can think of is Redknapp with Bent. Obviously I don’t listen to every interview but Bowyer has done it what, 4 times this season? It’s outrageous.
    The special one does not care about calling players out. He done it at Real, Inter, Chelsea, United and probably has or will at Spurs. 
  • Options
     Add the fact about who he's digging out.

TS said he would bring exciting football.

The two most exciting players we have have now been slaughtered publicly by Bowyer, so where does that leave the exciting stuff?

Something's got to give.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vfrf said:

I agree with the vast majority of what you say and I agree that the lineup was what most would of started. However, the phases of play on show were absolute shocking. The midfield was a complete and utter mess when in a 4-3-3 it’s the most important component. Players might not play well but I at least expect them to be in the right areas. AS cut through us like melted butter and a fragile defence got absolutely no protection. I can forgive wayward passes, shit shots, mistimed tackles but our general shape was horrible. Just shouts players not knowing what they’re meant to be doing rather than being shit.
  • Options
    Tonight was a watershed as I don’t think we’ve looked that bad at home for awhile. 
    Curbs ? 
    I thought we were better tonight than against MK. Bow doesn't know his best side but it would surely include Innis, Famewo, Shinnie, Doughty and other candidates being able to play 90 minutes more regularly. 

Stay patient we can still sneak into the play-offs. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    This strange public behaviour all began in the interview he had a pop at the noise levels with 2k fans watching that dross v MK in a 1-0 loss.

We are at risk of watching the season waste away. There's a difference between mediocre and consolidation.
  • Options
    I have skipped through without reading most of it. 

The messure, to me, of a manager is "are most players playing at, or above their own level"?

The answer is categorically no.  Can anyone name a player that they think "wow he has played well this season"? 

We haven't even got 5 or 6 that are playing alright. 

He has got to go, he has got to go now.  He can't keep throwing players under the bus, trying to cover his own misgivings.

Its a shame because I loved Bowyer the player, I loved Bowyer the manager.  I don't hate him.  He needs to go before I do hate him. 

• Options
    Vfrf said:

I agree with the vast majority of what you say and I agree that the lineup was what most would of started. However, the phases of play on show were absolute shocking. The midfield was a complete and utter mess when in a 4-3-3 it’s the most important component. Players might not play well but I at least expect them to be in the right areas. AS cut through us like melted butter and a fragile defence got absolutely no protection. I can forgive wayward passes, shit shots, mistimed tackles but our general shape was horrible. Just shouts players not knowing what they’re meant to be doing rather than being shit.
    I agree that the transitions were very bad, but we didn't really have a lot of options there. Watson or Pratley would have been in the hole picking up players in space but we were without both of them so we had to put JFC in an unfamiliar role and he wasn't equal to it defensively. It wasn't good but options were very limited
  • Options
    Where does this idea come from that we have one of the best teams in the league?

1. We lack any depth across the entire pitch.  Perhaps our only position with two good options is at RB. 
    2. Second, we lack any real quality in Midfield. We don't have a single player who can control and dictate the pace of a game from the centre of the park, deep-lying or as a #10. We don't even have a midfield that can pass the ball forward without either an ambitious long ball or pass out to the full backs.
    3. Apart from Aneke, we don't have any quality upfront. Simple as. 
    This current squad is probably in and around the right position in the league IMO. 

As was mentioned in the post match thread. We have a squad with 13 players who've played top-flight football in the UK or abroad and who have 178 full international caps between them, as well as players who have been promoted from this league before or won player of the season at the club they have previously played for. 

You can't honestly tell me, apart from a decent 45 minutes here and there, we should be churning out performances like we have week in week out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Ferryman said:
    Tonight was a watershed as I don’t think we’ve looked that bad at home for awhile. 
    Curbs ? 
    I thought we were better tonight than against MK. Bow doesn't know his best side but it would surely include Innis, Famewo, Shinnie, Doughty and other candidates being able to play 90 minutes more regularly. 

Stay patient we can still sneak into the play-offs. 
    Exactly. Chill out and enjoy the ride.

The lockdown will be lifted in March. The vulnerable will all be vaccinated by April and we'll go up in style at Wembley in May.

Happy new year.
  • Options
    I don’t think TS is an itchy trigger owner. Unless the wheels fall off completely then he’ll be given the season at least. I hope so.
    One wheel on my wagon & I'm still rolling along ................ 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    He might mean being g injured is not an excuse to jump out of a tackle?
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Vfrf said:
    He might mean being g injured is not an excuse to jump out of a tackle?
    I think the issue here is Bowyer was asked if Maddison is 'seriously injured' and Bowyer's response is he doesn't care. How will MM ever want to perform for Bowyer again after that? If my boss said that about me or something comparable I'd be on reed.com the next day.  
  • Options
    Stick with him. Alot of what he said was 'heat of the moment' comments & actually true despite being communicated unprofessionally. 

I feel sorry for him as if Inniss was fit we wouldnt be in this position. Our CBs being over powered is where we lost tonight's game.

I personally would spend all the Doughty cash on the Gillingham CB who is young enough not to affect the wage bill. We have alot of games in Jan and could be out of the playoff picture if we dont bring in a reliable CB soon.

I also agree with Lee that we need more than the above in order to be promo contenders. Let's hope we can move some players on to make room for strengthening.
    All what Doughty money ? He's out of contract in the summer, we might get a bit of money from down the back of the sofa but as he's still injured & possibly may not play again this season I wouldn't count on it. In any case I don't think TS would worry too much about spending a few hundred grand on the right player.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    I think Bowyer quite enjoyed being the under dog boss with shit owners because he had nothing to lose. Now we have got TS it’s the 1st time he has been under pressure to perform and he doesn’t like it.
    This is nonsense. We are falling down the table because we have no decent centre backs available. That's the problem.
  • Options
    An underdog boss with a solid defence and 20 goal striker. 

This sounds a bit twatty but it's clear Bows isn't the most emotionally intelligent chap on the block. There's no further psychology response following players' not listening to instructions.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:

Nothing is deliberate there. The fact of the matter the players may well be not good enough, however most of this team have Championship experience, these aren't wet behind the ears teenagers. When you're losing to the bottom teams in the division, and convincingly, tactics and man-management clearly plays a role. Maybe the constant bashing in the media (look at today's comments on MM injury ffs) have played a part too. 

I just don't think Bowyer has the knowhow to use this group of players. Maybe somebody else will, but we know for sure that Bowyer doesn't.
    Which bottom side did we lose to today? Accrington are 5th despite having played 3 games fewer than the league leaders. If they win their games in hand they'll be top of the league.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!