Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Accrington | Fri 8 Jan | 7:45pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Terrific preview @ForeverAddickted .. Another big game for us.  It'll be played on a hard pitch on a cold day against a bunch of hard nuts who can play a bit. I'd be happy to come away with a point. There are two other important games this weekend, Lincoln/Posh and Sunderland/Hull, we need to keep in touch and to keep up fan and player morale. 
    I'd go for Schwartz to start up front with Washington and play a straight 4 4 2, old school but still effective.

CAFC 0 v Accrington Stanley 0
  • Saga Lout said:
    Ok, stupid question alert!

It's on SKY, so how do I watch it, as I normally use the Valley Pass streaming service and it appears the game isn't going to be shown on that?

I'm willing to pay, but not for an 18 months SKY Sports package.
    Get a nowtv football pass?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Excellent preview as always @ForeverAddickted

With Oshilaja playing, without Pratley and Watson, I can see Bow playing a back 3 or 5, however you want to look at it. Oshilaja venturing into the base of a diamond midfield at times if needed but this way pushes Maatsen where we want him.

Who are they are a nasty and physical side, but they can also play football too. We will need to be treating this game as exactly as we should if they’re in the top six. Minus last week, our record is good. They’re likely to fall away as the season goes on, 30 games to play in 4 months is a hell of a lot.

Amos
    Matthews Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Maatsen
    F-Caskey Morgan
    Maddison
    Aneke Washington

Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Levitt, Williams, Millar, Smyth, Schwartz

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Accrington Stanley
    Maddison
    Schwartz
    Good team that

🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Sorry mate, genuinely didn’t see your post. I read the original and wrote my own post.

Always thought you spoke sense, well done :smile:
  • Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

With Oshilaja playing, without Pratley and Watson, I can see Bow playing a back 3 or 5, however you want to look at it. Oshilaja venturing into the base of a diamond midfield at times if needed but this way pushes Maatsen where we want him.

Who are they are a nasty and physical side, but they can also play football too. We will need to be treating this game as exactly as we should if they’re in the top six. Minus last week, our record is good. They’re likely to fall away as the season goes on, 30 games to play in 4 months is a hell of a lot.

Amos
    F-Caskey Morgan
    Maddison
    Aneke Washington

Maddison
    Schwartz
    Good team that

🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Sorry mate, genuinely didn’t see your post. I read the original and wrote my own post.

It's OK mate, I think we should have gone to 3 at the back when Pearce came back. 
  • Like GrumpyAddick, I want to see the back of the midfield Diamond. I don't think it's offered us anything going forward and more-often-than-not, our opponents have run through us to maintain pressure on the back four. I don't think we really have the players to play it either. When we got at Wimbledon in the second half, the runs of our full-backs, particularly Gunter, meant we were effectively attacking like a 4-4-2 and it was very effective. I don't think for a minute that Lee Bowyer will oblige so we will, once again, trot out another makeshift central defence with a spluttering diamond and Donkey Kong up front. I suspect Miller and Schwartz will be introduced when we are chasing the game and being live on Sky points to another defeat. I suspect we will notch a goal as part of a fightback but would be tempted to bet on the visitors to win 2-1.
  • At this level, where we ought to have better players overall than most teams, there is a lot to be said for matching up with them and letting our superiority count. 
  • I know many contribute to the matchday thread, but this Friday, I will be absent as I am going to sit down in front of my Sky tv and watch the game relaxed. I will then be able to see if all the comments I have read on here are true....Not that I am doubting anyone, just hope we play well and I can say that I do not know what everyone is complaining about  :)
  • Since the summer we've signed in midfield

Gilbey and Watson on perms
    Shinnie and Levitt on loan

To add to the existing JFC, Pratley (when not a CB) and Morgan, making 7. And that's not including attacking midfielders like Maddison, Williams and Doughty or kids.

Yet Bowyer thinks we are still missing a nasty midfielder. How many midfielders  does he think we need, when we only need 2 or perhaps 3 in the side at any one time?
  • edited January 2021
    Amos
    Gunter Deji Pearce Maatsen 
    Morgan Levitt JFC
    Maddison
    Aneke Washington

Matthews and Purrington on the bench to come on to sure things up, in case we accidentally take the lead

Prediction a frustrating 1-1 draw

To add to the existing JFC, Pratley (when not a CB) and Morgan, making 7. And that's not including attacking midfielders like Maddison, Williams and Doughty or kids.

Yet Bowyer thinks we are still missing a nasty midfielder. How many midfielders  does he think we need, when we only need 2 or perhaps 3 in the side at any one time?
    He needs to get his boots on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Difficult game, but we turn the corner Millar adds the pace we need, Maddison to start, we win 2-1.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

Amos
    F-Caskey Morgan
    Maddison
    Aneke Washington

Maddison
    Schwartz
    Good team that

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's OK mate, I think we should have gone to 3 at the back when Pearce came back. 
    Completely agree. I don’t trust Pearce in a 2 anymore unfortunately, that’s not a criticism as such to him. I like Pearce. But his lack of pace and hands on approach leaves too much space behind him, he needs another centre back to help mop up. A back 3 helps to push Maatsen forward too. I think it encourages us to play better football as well. 
  • YTS1978 said:
    Amos
    Gunter Deji Pearce Maatsen 
    Morgan Levitt JFC
    Maddison
    Aneke Washington

Matthews and Purrington on the bench to come on to sure things up, in case we accidentally take the lead

Prediction a frustrating 1-1 draw
    probably Matthews in a back 5 in place of Levitt - partly cos Levitt's not brought much and mainly so that Matthews and Maatsen can bring some desperately needed width

Bowyer won't select anything like this of course we'll get another shitforbrains minestrone of square pegs in round holes Maatsen on the right of a cubic zirconia, Deji O as left back and Ashley Maynard Brewer as left winger - who'll get the hook after 30 minutes and then slagged off in the post match interview

LB has LOST.HIS.MARBLES
  • Bowyer's team I suspect:

Amos
    Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Matthews
    Maatsen F.Caskey Morgan 
    Williams
    Washington Bogle
  • AshBurton said:
    One opposition tidbit of local interest: Accrington's goalkeeper is likely to be Nathan Baxter, who is on loan from Chelsea. Although he has been on Chelsea's books since the age of 8, Nathan grew up in Lee SE12 and played cricket at the Old Colfeians CC until he was 16 (his family's house backs onto the ground, which may have tipped the balance). He was good enough at cricket to represent Kent in the same under 15s side as Zak Crawley. (I expect @PaddyP17 and @Leuth will claim in a minute that they taught him everything he knows - about cricket and goalkeeping!)

Nathan was previously on loan at Yeovil Town in League Two and latterly Ross County. One to watch out for now and in the future. Two clean sheets out of two league appearances for Accrington so far, plus some impressive cup appearances.

What could possibly go wrong?
    We need our players to sledge him  ;)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Bowyer's team I suspect:

Amos
    Maatsen F.Caskey Morgan 
    Williams
    Washington Bogle
    Swap Maatsen & Matthews over & are getting close to a decent team. Probably would replace Williams with Maddison and pretty much there. At least the players are playing with their natural feet  !

And still he plays a LB in there 🙄
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Bowyer's team I suspect:

Amos
    Maatsen F.Caskey Morgan 
    Williams
    Washington Bogle
    Swap Maatsen & Matthews over & are getting close to a decent team. Probably would replace Williams with Maddison and pretty much there. At least the players are playing with their natural feet  !
    Morgan is right footed. He should probably be more central with JFC occupying the left. 

As I say that's the team I suspect Bowyer will start. 
  • I've just signed up with Valley Pass hoping to watch the game tomorrow, but the only game on offer seems to be v Rochdale. Am I too late?
    I'm a dunce with anything to do with phones etc. so there is the distinct possibility I'm just being dim...
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:
    I've just signed up with Valley Pass hoping to watch the game tomorrow, but the only game on offer seems to be v Rochdale. Am I too late?
    I'm a dunce with anything to do with phones etc. so there is the distinct possibility I'm just being dim...
    Are you a season ticket holder ?
    If not it is not available to you unless you live or move to the countries on the list shown on this thread.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90784/cafc-stream-v-accrington-fri-8-1-2021-season-tickets-some-overseas-only-cafc-cash-by-10am-fri#latest
  • edited January 2021
    clive said:
    Redskin said:
    I've just signed up with Valley Pass hoping to watch the game tomorrow, but the only game on offer seems to be v Rochdale. Am I too late?
    Are you a season ticket holder ?
    If not it is not available to you unless you live or move to the countries on the list shown on this thread.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90784/cafc-stream-v-accrington-fri-8-1-2021-season-tickets-some-overseas-only-cafc-cash-by-10am-fri#latest
    Oh, thanks Clive. I'm not ST holder, I thought I could pay a tenner and watch a live stream...

• AshBurton said:
    One opposition tidbit of local interest: Accrington's goalkeeper is likely to be Nathan Baxter, who is on loan from Chelsea. Although he has been on Chelsea's books since the age of 8, Nathan grew up in Lee SE12 and played cricket at the Old Colfeians CC until he was 16 (his family's house backs onto the ground, which may have tipped the balance). He was good enough at cricket to represent Kent in the same under 15s side as Zak Crawley. (I expect @PaddyP17 and @Leuth will claim in a minute that they taught him everything he knows - about cricket and goalkeeping!)

Nathan was previously on loan at Yeovil Town in League Two and latterly Ross County. One to watch out for now and in the future. Two clean sheets out of two league appearances for Accrington so far, plus some impressive cup appearances.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Nah, not remotely! When I first saw him bat, I was told the story of what he'd done in some sort of Kent U14s representative game (think it was against Surrey?) the day before. He was opening the batting, and facing some leg spinner who at the time was averaging about 8 with the ball. First ball - forward defensive. Second ball much the same line and length - reverse sweep for four.

He's one of those guys who was annoyingly excellent across all sports, and I'm really pleased to see him working his way through the Football League. In fact, Charlton were in for him on loan a couple of seasons ago, but he turned us down as it was clear he would be bench warming (he then went to Yeovil). The Stanley move was made quite late on this year I think, as he was struggling to find a move for first team action given Covid.

IMO it seems his short/medium term future is a bit unclear as he's been at Chelsea for so long that any move away would cost the buying team quite a big sum, either in a transfer fee or compensation, and he's got another two years under contract there. But he could well come good. He's a very nice kid so I hope so!

All this said, I hope we batter them 4-0 and he's man of the match.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Since the summer we've signed in midfield

Because there is no pace in midfield. Midfield is not new to Maatsen either. I think LB is right.
  • For me, Maatson has looked more effective for us as a left back. He doesn't really improve the midfield very much if at all. 
  • 4-0

Schwartz hatrick and Maddison 
  • Redrobo said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

Because there is no pace in midfield. Midfield is not new to Maatsen either. I think LB is right.
    Yes.....LEFT BACK is the right place for him....or left wingback.....or left wing. Nowhere on the right though. Or does Lee Bowyer, who has only been coaching him for 3 months, thinks he knows better than Maatsen's own country's coaches who have been coaching him for years...?
  • 5 of that front 6 looks remarkable familiar to something I sent a certain someone on whatsapp the other day, any ideas @ForeverAddickted 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That'd be great but i'd be amazed if Bowyer went that attacking.

In an ideal world we'll go out attacking, steam into a side who haven't played for almost 3 weeks and catch them cold.

In a Charlton world we'll be 1-0 down early on to a calamitous own goal.
    Yeah I agree Bowyer wont go thst attacking its what I said in the message to @ForeverAddickted Would love to see that formation with those players on Friday and Schwartz of the bench for the last half hour, but Bowyer would never go so attacking as to play to attacking wingers in their correct positions lol
  • I'm already having a few pre match nerves and excited apprehension waiting for the team announcement tomorrow and then the match. Then actually had to remind myself that I'm likely to be totally pissed off when the same set up as previous weeks is announced and that is followed by a dire negative gameplan where we hope to create one chance, rely on the player it falls too to put it away, and then bring on 5 defensive substitutes to try and see the game out.

I live in hope it wont be the case but time will tell
  • Redrobo said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

Yes.....LEFT BACK is the right place for him....or left wingback.....or left wing. Nowhere on the right though. Or does Lee Bowyer, who has only been coaching him for 3 months, thinks he knows better than Maatsen's own country's coaches who have been coaching him for years...?
    His own country coaches play him in midfield. Lovely strike that hit the crossbar playing on the right. Just because you shout that does not make you right. There are countless examples of players playing on the opposite side to their natural one so they can cut in. Countless examples of full backs playing on the opposite side to counter that.

To spin your comment round, do you think that you know better than Lee? I know things have not been going well recently, that does not make Lee a bad manager.