Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Accrington | Fri 8 Jan | 7:45pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley
Friday 8th January 2021 ... 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Purkiss (previously took charge: Charlton v Fleetwood)

Introduction
Its pretty grim reading isnt it... Ever since the performance against Ipswich things have turned rather sour, we've only lost two games since that performance yet for such an experienced team the amount of individual mistakes (both from players and Manager) that appear to be happening is staggering and quite simply costing us any chance of making an instant return to the Championship, as we know too well, get stuck at this level and you're only going to make it harder for yourselves to get out the right way!! - 2021 clearly didnt start the way we wanted it to but thanks to the never ending pandemic we're not even half way through our season, we've got plenty of football to play between now and May (if thats when the season ends) so we've time to put things right

The transfer window is now open, the television cameras have turned up... and Accrington Stanley are in town, whoever they are!!

The Opposition
Name: Accrington Stanley (8th) | Manager: John Coleman
Ground: The Crown Ground
Previous Result: Accrington Stanley 0-0 Blackpool

If you're a Charlton fan and know the history of this fixture then you'll know that a Friday night under the floodlights with the SKY cameras in town is rather a bizarre choice for television coverage... The television broadcaster have the battle of fighting for viewers who either dont have BT Sport or arent interested in the two Premier League match ups, what with this being FA Cup third round weekend!!

Two years ago and these two sides met for the first time competitively under the newest formation of Accrington Stanley, the only other time Charlton have faced a version of Accrington wasnt long after the Addicks joined the Football League, in 1924 the two teams met in the FA Cup with the young side from South East London advancing against their Third Division North opponents - Back to the present though and two years ago, Accrington made it to League One for the first time since 1958, they'd only survive at that level for two years before dropping back to the Fourth Division, it was effectively the beginning of the end for Accrington FC... Ten years after winning promotion to the third tier they folded and Accrington Stanley were established, it took until 1970 (another two years) before this new club could play again, joining the Lancashire Combination and so starting the new journey to where they find themselves to this day!!

Now every year at this level I tend to predict that there will be one club who'll upset the establishment and surprise the rest of the league; Lincoln City (sitting pretty at the top) appear to be doing a good job of that, yet friday night's opponents have perhaps fallen under the radar... We saw two years ago that Accrington are a team which is extremely organised and difficult to beat, they themselves have four games in hand on the table toppers, which if they win will see a new team on the top step.

Perhaps there is method in SKY's madness to select this game for coverage after all...

Charlton Team News
Every game we sink further into this "rut" means that the next game will see greater scrutiny of Lee Bowyer's selection choices and tactics... Players being played out of position has been a recent complaint from the Valley faithful yet perhaps the longest question mark from some quarters has been the fact that Darren Pratley and Ben Watson continue to start, of course, alongside Alex Gilbey those two are now either suspended or injured for friday night so in some respect it'll be quite a different Charlton team that lines up to the one we've seen in recent games... You'd hope so anyway.

Of course there is the Transfer Window to take into account and whilst fans have been disgruntled with tactics of late, they'll be no doubt pleased by the speed of the club bringing in new attacking faces: Ronnie Schwartz (who probably lacks fitness to start so soon) signed from Denmark and Liam Miller on loan from Liverpool have been brought into to bolster our offensive side of the game. The fact still remains though that our last four games have seen us concede twice in each match, so the defence will certainly require its own focus; Deji Oshilaja will obviously come into the team this week, whilst there appears positive news what with Ryan Inniss being close to match selection himself.

Amos
Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Maatsen
Maddison | Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Miller
Washington | Bogle

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Matthews | Levitt | Williams | Aneke | Schwartz

*As with every Preview this is the team I think Bowyer will play, rather than what I'd play

Prediction
Up until the Transfer Window there has been constant talk about the need for a twenty goal Striker to fire us to promotion... We cant hide the fact that scoring goals doesnt seem to be the problem, four of the top six have more goals but arent far ahead for it to be a problem in my eyes - Funnily I've constantly mocked Peterborough United for not having the defence to win promotion and its now Charlton who have the worst one out of all our rivals - It is that area that needs to be stronger, if Accrington get the first goal they tighten up even more...

Lets cut out the individual mistakes at the back... the chances at the other end, as they always do at this level, will come!!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Good preview as ever @ForeverAddickted.

Being in my usual pessimistic mood re Charlton matches, I won’t make a prediction for fear of making this a too negative post.

Agree, the arrival of Schwartz and Millar ‘time’ is most welcome, though the news of Alfie going is not unexpected but doesn’t lighten the load!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Levitt should either start or be back at United. If you're not going to play him in this game you're never going to play him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Levitt will either start or be back at United. If you're not going to play him in this game you're never going to play him.
    Was on the bench against Swindon after recovering from COVID and hasnt been seen since

No point sending him back yet and leaving us overly short in Midfield

But if he's meant to be backup to Watson | Forster-Caskey and isnt even getting on the bench, I cant see how he starts Friday night

Accrington are a bloody physical team too, he'll be bullied like hell, it'll be like Pigott v Millwall all over again!!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leuth said:
    At some point you have to ask what your own players can do to hurt the opposition, rather than wonder what they can do to hurt you. Levitt has played international football. His passing can rip teams apart. He's a big boy and can look after himself. Bowyer focuses a lot on stopping the opposition rather than setting out to damage them, though, so I can see why he might not start. But then...Morgan and JFC? Doesn't scream out 'big tough lads' does it now. Fucksake he's gonna play Matthews in midfield isn't he
    You really dont know what I thought Bowyer's team selection was going to be before I posted my Preview

Even I read it and thought... Nah he cant do that!!

Amos
    Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Matthews
    Morgan | Forster-Caskey | Maatsen
    Maddison | Washington | Miller
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I guess Gilbey is quite tall actually. Oh god. SURELY Bowyer has picked up how poor he's been. SURELY. EDIT: he's suspended
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leuth said:
    At some point you have to ask what your own players can do to hurt the opposition, rather than wonder what they can do to hurt you. Levitt has played international football. His passing can rip teams apart. He's a big boy and can look after himself. Bowyer focuses a lot on stopping the opposition rather than setting out to damage them, though, so I can see why he might not start. But then...Morgan and JFC? Doesn't scream out 'big tough lads' does it now. Fucksake he's gonna play Matthews in midfield isn't he
    You really dont know what I thought Bowyer's team selection was going to be before I posted my Preview

Even I read it and thought... Nah he cant do that!!

Amos
    Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Matthews
    Morgan | Forster-Caskey | Maatsen
    Maddison | Washington | Miller
    This is quite likely close to what it'll be. Except with Aneke/Bogle instead of Maddison
  • Options
    If Bowyer plays Maddison, Morgan, Millar, Bogle AND Washington I'll eat my hat even though he seems to have little choice. 

The back 4 is what he should play, it wouldn't surprise me to see Matthews continuing at LB, just to prove it wasn't wrong in the last two games.

The team I would play

Amos
    Gunter:Oshilaga:Pearce
    Matthews:JFC:Morgan:Maatsen
    Maddison or Williams 
    Washington:Aneke

Give Bogle some time off now we have options.

I would assume AMB, Williams, Smyth and Schwartz will be in the bench, probably Purrington but no idea on the other 2 or 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope and pray that Bowyer will not play Matthews at left back and Maatsen at right midfield ever again! It so unbalances the team! I think Levitt may get a (his one and only) chance alongside JFC and Morgan will start over Maddison. That said, we can then expect the four "creative" players - Maddison, Schwartz, Aneke, and Williams to come on at or just after half time to try to salvage something when it all goes pear-shaped again!
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    I'm normally very positive looking ahead at games but I cant see us getting anything out of this game unfortunately. The team seem to have got itself into a negative mindset in recent weeks. Do we even know if Schwartz will be allowed to be in the squad ( work permit wise ) I hope I'm wrong but I think we might be needing a few weeks to get the mindset changed
  • Options
    Death to the diamond! I hope we line up as:
                         Amos
    Gunter - Oshilaja - Pearce - Maatsen
         Morgan - Levitt - Maddison
         Washington - Bogle - Millar
    Subs: AMB, Matthews, Purrington, Williams, Smyth, Schwartz, Aneke
    Solid enough back four, Levitt holding, Morgan working both ways and Maddison creating. Washington and Millar providing width and pace on the counter with Bogle holding the ball and bringing the widemen inside when he can. It's hard to pick a bench because we do have so many midfielders but having Smyth and Aneke to come in like-for-like as the game goes on and Williams to provide thrust from the midfield are great options. Schwartz there to come on if we're desperate for a goal or somehow 4-0 up with 10 mins to go. Most likely he won't play at all. I feel it's more likely Bowyer will go for a diamond with JFC, Gilbey, Morgan and Maddison with Bogle and Millar as strikers. I don't see enough speed and movement in that midfield though so now we've got the option for width I want us to use it
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if Bogle started, after the way Bowyer subbed him at HT and publicly criticised him.

Indeed in the last 3 games he's started twice and was subbed at HT in both games, you don't do that for planned tactical reasons
  • Options
    Think we'll get a draw here - Just can't predict we'll win when on Sky. 1-1 and the negativity on here will continue.

Amos
    Gunter | Osh | Pearce | Purrington
    JFC
    Morgan | Maatsen
    Maddison
    Aneke | Washington
  • Options
    Thanks for a great preview as always.
    We need to start taking the initiative in games and going on the attack.
    It makes my blood boil to see us behind in the late stages of games and throwing the kitchen sink at the oppo.
    We need to start doing that from the start - and please please please stop all that horizontal passing in our own half, then back to the keeper.

Get the ball up to Chucks ASAP, and let the others pick up the scraps from his hold-up.
    Next week............how to understand rocket technology.
  • Options
    Think we'll get a draw here - Just can't predict we'll win when on Sky. 1-1 and the negativity on here will continue.

Amos
    Gunter | Osh | Pearce | Purrington
    JFC
    Morgan | Maatsen
    Maddison
    Aneke | Washington

That may work quite nicely.
    Let's hope LB reading!! 2-1

Agree all comments about a) players out position b) having something else to do on a Friday night!
    Was reminded how dire Bogle is this morning by a Cardiff City fan - they were more than pleased to be rid of him - long may he stay out of favour now its Ronnie & Miller time.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    If you set out defensive minded, it can put more pressure on a defence as some benefit from reset time when the ball is at the other end. I think our defence doesn't do so well when under pressure so my thoughts are to try to play us much at the other end as possible.

Maatson is an effective wing back so play him there. JFC can sit in front of the defence. Bogle's confidence is shot so maybe it is best to start him on the bench and Washington can drift in and out of games.

This would be my side:
                                    Amos
    Gunter          Deji                 Pearce          Maatson
                                    JFC
                    Morgan                       Williams
           Smyth                                      Maddison
                                  Aneke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you set out defensive minded, it can put more pressure on a defence as some benefit from reset time when the ball is at the other end. I think our defence doesn't do so well when under pressure so my thoughts are to try to play us much at the other end as possible.

Maatson is an effective wing back so play him there. JFC can sit in front of the defence. Bogle's confidence is shot so maybe it is best to start him on the bench and Washington can drift in and out of games.

This would be my side:
                                    Amos
    Gunter          Deji                 Pearce          Maatson
                                    JFC
                    Morgan                       Williams
           Smyth                                      Maddison
                                  Aneke
    this is becoming a bit a bit of a worry Mutley ( :) , i like that line up  - 2 new boys come off the bench to finish the job (no offence to FA but if we start with his line up, we will be scraping a draw again at best)
  • Options
    Not my choice but would not be surprised to see Matthews RB and Gunter CD and Oshilaja on the bench.
  • Options
    To be fair to FA, his line up was a prediction of how Bowyer would go. I very much doubt my line up will be closer than his. I do agree, the new boys need to integrate and should do so from the bench. The team I have suggested shows what we could do if the manager focused on us rather than our opponents.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    The home game against Accrington 2 seasons ago when KG scored the injury time penalty to win the game 1-0 and it all kicked off was one of my favourite wins from that season. The tunnel looked like it was going to collapse afterwards as the players piled in there afterwards. They were a seriously dirty side.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
    🤔 against a side in good form ?
    I think you'll find 'happyvalley' will be predicting 4-0 to Charlton when we play Real Madrid or Barcelona in the future on TS' journey into Europe 😉.
  • Options
    Back to winning ways 2-1, after letting in the obligatory first goal.
  • Options
    Spoke to someone today from another L1 club who watched his club play AC just before Christmas and he said they were very good.