Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Liam Millar to join on loan from Liverpool (ed. Gone to Basel p10)

Comments

• I like this guy. Really committed and had the cajones to moan at Aneke for not getting a return pass which denied him the opportunity of scoring.
    Was that when Aneke back to goal made the most obvious turn and shot in history. Two players blocked it at the same moment it was that obvious. 
  • Yep. Greedy from Aneke really. 
  • He's used to being the only one that can consistently hit a barn door, but needs to start being less greedy. 
  • RedChaser said:
    The problem now is people in the Bowyer out camp will be looking to place any on field happenings they don’t like firmly at his door. Sadly it’s like a snowball rolling downhill and only getting bigger. The bloke has made some bad decisions no one can deny that we all make mistakes but let’s try and keep things in perspective 
    Then if Sandgaard gets rid of Bowyer our saviour will become a villan.
  • RedChaser said:
    The problem now is people in the Bowyer out camp will be looking to place any on field happenings they don’t like firmly at his door. Sadly it’s like a snowball rolling downhill and only getting bigger. The bloke has made some bad decisions no one can deny that we all make mistakes but let’s try and keep things in perspective 
    It's his club mate and saved us from oblivion so he won't be a villain with me. At some point it's very likely he will part company with the manager whether later in the season, the summer or some time thereafter. I'd be surprised If he pulls the trigger this month though as he's only just backed him in the transfer window. However stranger things have happened and I'd be very disappointed but a villain? No. It's a results business and it's his investment to do as he wishes with it no matter what we think.
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    It's his club mate and saved us from oblivion so he won't be a villain with me. At some point it's very likely he will part company with the manager whether later in the season, the summer or some time thereafter. I'd be surprised If he pulls the trigger this month though as he's only just backed him in the transfer window. However stranger things have happened and I'd be very disappointed but a villain? No. It's a results business and it's his investment to do as he wishes with it no matter what we think.
    Dunno... If we're in League One for at least five years am sure the frustration will turn in his direction
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Dunno... If we're in League One for at least five years am sure the frustration will turn in his direction
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.............five years you say fcuk that 😉.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Bowyer on why Millar didn't start - worried about him picking up an injury, had tight hamstrings following the MK Dons game.
    He had an extra 2 days rest or should have! 

The excuses never end.

Lets just keep playing him a tear his hamstrings then. Then the thread would've been full of people bitching about us not learning the lessons of previous injuries to players.

Some of you have made your minds up about Bowyer now and will twist everything into a stick to beat him with.
    No he had two extra days off from a game situation. If Bowyer didn't allow him recovery time and decent time with a physio/sports massage therapist that's on him. 

He managed 55 so why didn't we try him for the first 45 and look to sub him after?
    Because then everyone would've been screaming about how he was our best player and why on earth was Bowyer taking him off.
  • edited February 2021
    aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Bowyer on why Millar didn't start - worried about him picking up an injury, had tight hamstrings following the MK Dons game.
    He had an extra 2 days rest or should have! 

The excuses never end.

Lets just keep playing him a tear his hamstrings then. Then the thread would've been full of people bitching about us not learning the lessons of previous injuries to players.

Some of you have made your minds up about Bowyer now and will twist everything into a stick to beat him with.
    No he had two extra days off from a game situation. If Bowyer didn't allow him recovery time and decent time with a physio/sports massage therapist that's on him. 

He managed 55 so why didn't we try him for the first 45 and look to sub him after?
    Because then everyone would've been screaming about how he was our best player and why on earth was Bowyer taking him off.
    Easier to explain "I took him off because his hamstrings felt tight at half time".

Not his Hamstrings felt tight a full week ago. 

Either way he did what he thought was right and I'm not about to break my Neutral on Bowyer Pact so I totally see both sides of the argument.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forget that the Canadian team have three good players coming through for them

Didnt realise that Jonathan David was Canadian himself
  • clive said:
    What a guy, a lot of respect for him for making the move and the sacrifice to pursue his dream, especially at such a young age.

Think he'll have a bright future, especially as hes able to self-evaluate like how he mentions his final ball/end product in the article. No ego about it just wants to improve. 
  • Yeah I agree, he's going to be a great player. 
  • Charlton loan ace Liam Millar wanted Championship move in January

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1067548036?-11197:833
  • ross1 said:

Charlton loan ace Liam Millar wanted Championship move in January

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1067548036?-11197:833
    I really admire the honesty of a 21 year old player saying “Taking that year off men’s football has really helped me, I can see that in my game”. 
  • Liam Millar reflects on his part in Sunday's victory against Hull City and his time on loan at Charlton.
  • Looks certain that he’s not coming back.

I’m not subscribed so can’t see the full article but it says Liverpool are receiving a lot of interest from Championship clubs:

https://theathletic.com/2588533

The 21-year-old Canada international’s parent club have already received a significant number of enquiries about him from sides in the second tier.
  • Scoham said:
    Looks certain that he’s not coming back.

I’m not subscribed so can’t see the full article but it says Liverpool are receiving a lot of interest from Championship clubs:

The 21-year-old Canada international’s parent club have already received a significant number of enquiries about him from sides in the second tier.
    Blackburn would be my bet.  Liverpool were impressed with they way they treated Elliott. 
  • So, once again we have improved a loanee, and assisted in the furtherment of his career, what a nice bunch we are  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Looks certain that he’s not coming back.

Doesn’t name a team. Does say Liverpool not looking to sell. And that Curbs is an admirer.
  • edited May 2021
    Not surprising. Nobody could handle him one on one. Better teams will make use of the space that opens up when teams double up on him. 
  • Would’ve been nice to get him back but that’s football. 
  • Not good enough for a championship team at the moment. In fact i’m not sure i would take him back in our league
  • I’d like to think we’d have had first choice if been promoted, similar to how we were able to get Cullen two seasons running due to a promotion. 
  • I would have loved to get him on a perm.  He will increase in value over a lot in the next 2-3 years.  Decent player who should become more consistent as he gets older and more experienced.
  • Liam Millar is the quintessential winger. Brilliant or poor.
    He can play on either flank and on a good day can go past players on either side.
    His shots are normally off target but at 21 has a lot of potential improvement.
    In the championship with better players around him he will improve even more.

An erratic player at present but should have a good career, difficult to judge if that will include the premier but he could end up being a squad player at the highest level to throw on with 20 minutes to go for a cameo performance ?
  • Liverpool winger Liam Millar is likely to be loaned out to a Championship club next season to build on a positive half-season with Charlton Athletic in League One.

Liverpool believe a higher level of competition will draw an improved level of performance from the left winger, who moved to London from Toronto with his father at age 12 to join Fulham’s academy. Millar’s father, Alan, is an electrician in the TV and film industry and has worked on shows including Game of Thrones and Peaky Blinders.

In 2016, Millar moved to Liverpool’s academy and worked his way up the youth ranks at the club. He played for the under-18s when Steven Gerrard was their manager and later made the step up to the under-23s. Millar was loaned out to Kilmarnock for what was meant to be all of 2019-20 but by his own admission he struggled to adapt to the Scottish Premiership and he was back with Liverpool even before the pandemic forced an early end to the season north of the border last March.

His January move to Charlton in the English third tier, however, has been more fruitful.

The feeling at the south London club is that Millar added a new edge to their attack as they made a push for the play-offs — though they missed out on goal difference in the end. They were impressed with Millar’s pace as well as his ball control. He contributed two goals and six assists in 27 appearances — the last of which came in a 1-0 win over champions Hull City on the final day of the regular season — yet his delivery was not always on point.

It is something Charlton supporters became frustrated with and Millar was, in turn, a player who at times divided opinion.

“I thought I was going to be giving quite a controversial view that actually I quite liked him,” says Louis Mendez, who covers Charlton for the BBC. “In terms of striding down the wing with the ball, he is one of the best players we have had for a while. But his final ball, his final delivery, sort of let him down. It has been a cause of frustration for quite a few fans.

“In my opinion, he was one of our better players in terms of taking us up the pitch and creating chances. If he could have a final ball or cross that delivered every single time, he would have stood out as one of the best players in the league — it was just that final decision making and delivery that let him down a little bit.”

Nobody was more frustrated than Millar, though. When a shot was misplaced or a cross overhit, he was fuming with himself. The forward, who is close friends with national team-mate Alphonso Davies of Bayern Munich, demands much more.

Mendez was impressed with this aspect of Millar’s character.

“He never hid,” he explains. “He would always pick the ball up and try again. When Diallang Jaiyesimi got injured, Liam was pretty much our only outlet. There was one specific game, against Peterborough at home (last month), where we ended up losing 1-0 but we felt we played quite well in it. Liam was the man who made everything happen, I think he touched the ball more than anyone in the side that game. The team always looked to him to get them forward up the pitch.”

Speaking to Charlton TV last weekend, Millar noted what an important learning experience it had been for him at The Valley after struggling in the Scottish top flight last season.

“I think the important thing for me was, I had a bit of a rough spell in Scotland and I didn’t do too well at times,” he said. “But I think that I have come here and I have matured over time. When I came here, I was still used to under-23s football. I was doing the same thing over and over and over again. Then I went through a rough patch where I wasn’t playing at my best. I know that’s football but I had never really experienced that before.

“At the -23s, not to be cocky or anything, but it was too easy for me. I was at that point where I had to move on and get league football. I came here and I think I matured a lot. There were times when I was very predictable but I think, towards the end now, I was able to go outside or inside and not just one way. I have improved on a lot of things, so for me, it was a positive loan spell.”

Away from the invaluable lessons he has learnt, the personal growth and the regularity of his football, the main positive for Millar is that he is now on the radar of second division clubs.

Those at Charlton were naturally keen to know whether or not Millar would like to rejoin them for a full season’s loan spell next term. His answer respectfully hinted he sees his next move as being to somewhere in the next league up.

“I think it is just about decisions on whether I want to go and challenge myself in the Championship or wherever it is,” he said while standing alongside Charlton legend Alan Curbishley, who was a keen admirer of his football throughout his stay at The Valley. “It’s always an option and I am more than happy to come back here, because I had a great experience.”

Mendez thinks the “Liverpool player” label that clung to Millar’s shirt all season made some Charlton fans unfairly expect more from him. “Because he has come from a big club like Liverpool, a lot of fans assume he is going to be the finished product already,” he adds. “But I do think a lot of people forget how young he is.”

Decisions over Millar’s future are currently on hold because the father of one has a busy summer of football ahead of him with Canada.

First up, Millar will be hoping to feature in World Cup qualifiers against Aruba on June 6 and Suriname three days later. Canada will then take part in the CONCACAF Gold Cup — the North and Central American version of the European Championship, staged in the US in July — a tournament and experience Millar will relish alongside Davies and co.

What is known is that Liverpool will not cash in on Millar this summer, as the club are hopeful he will continue to improve. That end-product issue mentioned above is just one area among others they note he needs to sharpen up. 

“He’s still far away from playing at Liverpool,” says Mendez. “Clearly, there are things for him to improve on but they do say decision making is something you get better at with more experience — and that would probably be the main thing for him. I would definitely have him at Charlton again if he was up for it.”