Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    The FA, PFA and PL are going to pay for testing of the EFL & non league teams left in the cup to avoid any postponments next weekend which would cause a  fixture congestion to the PL clubs.
  • Options
    Apparently AFC Wimbledon went to the EFL to get the game today called off due to Covid but were refused.

Really dont understand why some teams are allowed and some teams are not 
    If this is true (which I really hope its not) then that it tantamount to cheating. Lincoln went there today, whereas we were due to play Peterborough & the EFL bent the rules to allow them to postpone their game against us. 
    I’m not sure on this but isn’t it the case that Clubs call off the game and then the EFL say the circumstances around it will be investigated and sanctions could be imposed so if the EFL don’t give approval then you run the risk of a fine and some Clubs can’t afford that so don’t risk it. As I said I may be wrong.
    Not sure you read what has recently been said & done.

1) Peterborough called off our game as some of their players either had Covid or were self isolating. Our game was 11 days after they announced it. The standard practice is 10 days, therefore the game should not have been called off.

2) Wimbledon wanted to call off their game & told by the EFL that they couldn't. If they were instigating the postponement I would reasonably assume that they had cases that they could prove & not be subject to any sanctions by the EFL.

So, in essence. One team stretched the rules so they could call a game off against their promotion rivals  (when some of their players might still be affected or not "fully fit") and another HAD to play a game against a team at the top of the league when they had players who would not be able to play.

If that isn't a level playing field then I don't know what is.
    The way we're playing, I'm glad Posh called the game off!
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    The FA, PFA and PL are going to pay for testing of the EFL & non league teams left in the cup to avoid any postponments next weekend which would cause a  fixture congestion to the PL clubs.
    So, they are only paying for tests for those clubs still left in the FA Cup......is that right ?

Jesus. Talk about self interest. That's appalling. 
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    So, they are only paying for tests for those clubs still left in the FA Cup......is that right ?

Jesus. Talk about self interest. That's appalling. 
    I read it as they are paying for tests for those teams who are facing Premier league teams, so that a) premier league teams don't get more games called off and b) don't catch Covid from a non-PL side who might have positive cases that otherwise go unnoticed.

So for example Leeds and Spurs will pay for Crawley and Marine to get tested. I'm pretty sure similar happened in the early rounds of the league cup too.
  • Options
    Having watched both the hi-lights shows over the weekend I think its about time football got itself in order. Players kissing and cuddling and bundling on top of each other when a goal is scored, managers and staff embracing on the touchlines and god knows what else goes on behind closed doors during the week. Add in to the mix the illegal gatherings revealed over the weekend and its a ticking time bomb, no wonder games are getting called off due to Covid.

If the players were living in club bubbles it would be acceptable, but they are not, they are all going home to their communities. 
  • Options
    Having watched both the hi-lights shows over the weekend I think its about time football got itself in order. Players kissing and cuddling and bundling on top of each other when a goal is scored, managers and staff embracing on the touchlines and god knows what else goes on behind closed doors during the week. Add in to the mix the illegal gatherings revealed over the weekend and its a ticking time bomb, no wonder games are getting called off due to Covid.

If the players were living in club bubbles it would be acceptable, but they are not, they are all going home to their communities. 
    I thought this. The fist pump elbow greeting has all but gone and shaking of hands & hugs are back.

• Options
    if we go into full lockdown, will that halt the season (say for the whole of January)?, might do us a favour with the injured CB situation
  • Options
    if we go into full lockdown, will that halt the season (say for the whole of January)?, might do us a favour with the injured CB situation
    Boris will wait till Saturday.  We will lose on Saturday.  The league will have s vote to have league  as it is and we will finish 7 the on ppg. 
    Without doubt you are one boring wanker.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55537994

Now 4 cases at Manchester City women's team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Championship side Derby County has said "several first-team staff and players" have tested positive for Covid-19.

In a statement, the club said it had closed its Moor Farm training ground and was speaking to the EFL and the Football Association about forthcoming fixtures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55536553

• Options
    clive said:

Championship side Derby County has said "several first-team staff and players" have tested positive for Covid-19.

In a statement, the club said it had closed its Moor Farm training ground and was speaking to the EFL and the Football Association about forthcoming fixtures.

3rd round of the FA Cup is their next match. Against non league Chorley, it would be slightly ironic if the non league side end up the innocent victims of a postponement...
  • Options
    You'd hope during a more stringent lockdown players are more likely to just train, play and relax at home but I doubt it in a lot of cases.
  • Options
    You'd hope during a more stringent lockdown players are more likely to just train, play and relax at home but I doubt it in a lot of cases.
    The army should be sent out to enforce a night time curfew on footballers...
  • Options
    Saturday's FA Cup third round tie between Southampton and Shrewsbury is almost certain not to go ahead after a significant number of Shrews players and staff tested positive for coronavirus, BBC Shropshire reports.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55563342
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The army should be sent out to enforce a night time curfew on footballers...
    Why stop at footballers, there are a lot of idiots out there who are causing mayhem :(
  • Options
    clive said:

3rd round of the FA Cup is their next match. Against non league Chorley, it would be slightly ironic if the non league side end up the innocent victims of a postponement...
    If Derby can't field a team then they should forfeit the fixture. Derby will have enough first teamers / U23's to to put out a team to compete against a non-league side. I understand protocols around self isolating but the remaining players should now all be tested & those who test negative stay at home until Saturday. 
    clive said:

If Derby can't field a team then they should forfeit the fixture. Derby will have enough first teamers / U23's to to put out a team to compete against a non-league side. I understand protocols around self isolating but the remaining players should now all be tested & those who test negative stay at home until Saturday. 

Wayne Rooney and Derby's first-team squad will miss Saturday's third-round FA Cup tie away at Chorley following the coronavirus outbreak which closed their training ground on Monday.

The Rams team for the game at Victory Park will be made up of under-23 and under-18 players.

Under-23 coaches Pat Lyons and Gary Bowyer are likely to take charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55560401

• Options

This could be controversial but there was NO evidence of our lads committing such idiocy last Saturday....
    No chance of our players celebrating much lately :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    clive said:

clive said:

Wayne Rooney and Derby's first-team squad will miss Saturday's third-round FA Cup tie away at Chorley following the coronavirus outbreak which closed their training ground on Monday.

The Rams team for the game at Victory Park will be made up of under-23 and under-18 players.

Sense at last.
  • Options

This could be controversial but there was NO evidence of our lads committing such idiocy last Saturday....
    Hull should be deducted 3 points for blatant misconduct after their 2 goals  :)
  • Options
    clive said:
    clive said:

clive said:

It massively reduces the occasion for the Chorley players though

Instead of seeing recognisable players on the pitch AND Wayne Rooney in the away dugout, they'll have a bunch of kids managed by the U23 coaches
  • Options
    clive said:
    clive said:

clive said:

It massively reduces the occasion for the Chorley players though

Instead of seeing recognisable players on the pitch AND Wayne Rooney in the away dugout, they'll have a bunch of kids managed by the U23 coaches
    Or they see it as a great chance to progress further and play a much bigger team. 
  • Options
    Aston villa gone down with cases
  • Options

• Options
    I'd better change the score prediction I made 5 minutes ago!
  • Options
    I'd better change the score prediction I made 5 minutes ago!
    P-P will do it
  • Options

Saturday's FA Cup third-round tie between Southampton and Shrewsbury is off after a significant number of Shrews players and staff tested positive for coronavirus.

The League One club do not have enough fit, non-isolating players to play the game at St Mary's Stadium.

The Football Association's professional game board will decide what will happen with the fixture "early next week".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55563342