Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    The Kyle Walker story surely can't be true, especially given the trouble he got into before during lockdown.
    Be very surprised if its true, given the fact that this story isnt staying quiet...

Was Barry Gibb the entertainment....??
    No, it's Robbie Savage
  • Options
    Colchester vs Tranmere off due to Covid issues in both squads
  • Options
    Colchester v Tranmere has been called off only an hour before KO

• Options
    Apparently AFC Wimbledon went to the EFL to get the game today called off due to Covid but were refused.

Really dont understand why some teams are allowed and some teams are not 
    If this is true (which I really hope its not) then that it tantamount to cheating. Lincoln went there today, whereas we were due to play Peterborough & the EFL bent the rules to allow them to postpone their game against us. 
  • Options
    Who would have thought that the EFL are not fit for purpose
  • Options
    Apparently AFC Wimbledon went to the EFL to get the game today called off due to Covid but were refused.

If this is true (which I really hope its not) then that it tantamount to cheating. Lincoln went there today, whereas we were due to play Peterborough & the EFL bent the rules to allow them to postpone their game against us. 
    It is true it was mentioned a few times on Soccer Saturday, apparently the AFC Wimbledon manager was really unhappy when his request to postpone the game was rejected 
  • Options

It is true it was mentioned a few times on Soccer Saturday, apparently the AFC Wimbledon manager was really unhappy when his request to postpone the game was rejected 
    If this is the case and theres an outbreak of covid in the Lincoln squad I hope Lincoln sue.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55520725

Manchester City say they are disappointed following reports defender Benjamin Mendy breached Covid-19 rules by hosting a New Year's Eve party.
    The Sun reported the France international, 26, held a party at his Cheshire home which included guests from outside his household.

It's not been a good few days for football, with players considering themselves above the law...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to laugh at all the sanctimony and hypocrisy at the moment regarding these footballer gatherings. I’m not sure what good pillaring them does?

Yes they broke the rules, it’s incredibly selfish and stupid, but so did probably more than half the country (and likely half the journalists calling them out). They will be fined by their clubs and post a ‘genuine’ statement like Lamela’s written by the club / their PR agency. 

They kick balls for a living, and are notoriously selfish and stupid - they are not Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    I have to laugh at all the sanctimony and hypocrisy at the moment regarding these footballer gatherings. I’m not sure what good pillaring them does?

Yes they broke the rules, it’s incredibly selfish and stupid, but so did probably more than half the country (and likely half the journalists calling them out). They will be fined by their clubs and post a ‘genuine’ statement like Lamela’s written by the club / their PR agency. 

They kick balls for a living, and are notoriously selfish and stupid - they are not Dominic Cummings.
    But they are allowed to "break" the Covid distance rules on the pitch because they are operating under strict protocols. 

I had a boring NYE in front of the TV but if I'd had a party I wouldn't then be mixing in close contact with 30 other people on a football pitch 2 days later
  • Options

I’m not sure on this but isn’t it the case that Clubs call off the game and then the EFL say the circumstances around it will be investigated and sanctions could be imposed so if the EFL don’t give approval then you run the risk of a fine and some Clubs can’t afford that so don’t risk it. As I said I may be wrong.
  • Options
    It's not just the EFL that are a mess, the PL aren't coping much better.

Spurs v Fulham was called off 2-3 hours before kick off the other night. Man City were allowed to postpone their game at Everton yet tonight apparently have even more Covid cases, but the game at Chelsea goes ahead.
  • Options
    At the end of the day these footballers can do what they want.

• Options
    So with 6 players out and Mendy breaking the rules have the premier league told Man city they will play the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I’m not sure on this but isn’t it the case that Clubs call off the game and then the EFL say the circumstances around it will be investigated and sanctions could be imposed so if the EFL don’t give approval then you run the risk of a fine and some Clubs can’t afford that so don’t risk it. As I said I may be wrong.
    Not sure you read what has recently been said & done.

1) Peterborough called off our game as some of their players either had Covid or were self isolating. Our game was 11 days after they announced it. The standard practice is 10 days, therefore the game should not have been called off.

2) Wimbledon wanted to call off their game & told by the EFL that they couldn't. If they were instigating the postponement I would reasonably assume that they had cases that they could prove & not be subject to any sanctions by the EFL.

So, in essence. One team stretched the rules so they could call a game off against their promotion rivals  (when some of their players might still be affected or not "fully fit") and another HAD to play a game against a team at the top of the league when they had players who would not be able to play.

If that isn't a level playing field then I don't know what is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wimbledon v Wigan is now off on Wednesday night 
  • Options
    So as I said above if Lincoln go down with cases EFL got a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    so which team ha cases or is it the weather?
  • Options
    Apparently its Wigan who have the COVID cases 
  • Options
    So their game vs Hull next Saturday is also off!
  • Options
    Just see that on Twitter.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    so which team ha cases or is it the weather?
    Wigan have informed the EFL they are unable to fulfill their next 2 games due to covid cases.

AFC Wimbledon must be fuming, they were forced to play against Lincoln but Wigan have been allowed to postpone 
    Especially as Wigan missing players could leave Wimbledon at an advantage what with it being a relegation six pointer
  • Options
    When regular testing rather than symptom testing starts this week you can imagine a huge number of league 1 and league 2 games will be called off.
  • Options
    The EFL are stepping up routine Covid testing this week, you imagine there will be a number of positive tests and cancellations as a result