Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I must admit I have become very meh about attending test matches as I genuinely see more of what's going on when watching on Sky.

Have to say the ever rising prices and the way that the game is being mismanaged by the ECB further cements the above view. Will try to watch more Kent games in future. 
  • Options
    Series catches light! 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
     Bairstow first red ball game of the season and Curran first since jan according to TMS
    Commentator said Buttler hasn't played proper cricket since February.
    Did Commentator mention how many first class games the Indian players have had this summer?  
    No but I will lay you any odds you like that the Indian players will have played and practiced a lot more red ball than Buttler in that time. Actually I can evidence it if you really want me to.

Look at Buttler's dismissal - 17 balls faced and no runs on the board so he decides to throw his hands at one and nicks off. That is the shot of someone who is feeling scoreboard pressure when that simply shouldn't be the case.

Anyway, I'm now off to watch my son play some County age group red ball cricket. While I still can!!!
    You and Covered End know far more about cricket than I ever hope to, so I am not criticizing you for saying that the England players have had too little red ball cricket in the warm up to this match.  What I don't like is the casual, lazy comments by professional commentators and those paid to give their opinion for pointing out only half of the equation.  

It's true that the England players have had little red ball cricket this Summer. But is that the reason that India played so much better than England yesterday?  You would have to balance that up by showing the enormous amount of red ball cricket that's been played by the Indian players over the same timescale.  

Rohit Sharma - 2 First Class matches, 3 innings, this Summer 
    KL Rahul - 1 FC match, 1 innings 
    Cheteshwar Pujara - 2 FC matches, 4 innings 
    Virat Kohli - 1 FC match, 2 innings 
    Ajinkya Rahane - 1 FC match, 2 innings 
    Rishabh Pant - 1 FC match, 2 innings, 0 catches, 1 stumping 
    Ravindra Jadeja - 2 FC matches, 2 wickets 
    Shardul Thakur - 1 FC match, 1 wicket 
    Jasprit Bumrah - 2 FC matches, 1 wicket 
    Mohammed Shami - 1 FC match, 4 wickets 
    Mohammed Siraj - 1 FC match, 2 wickets 

Not one of their batting line-up has played more than four first class innings this Summer.  The wicket-keeper hasn't taken a catch in a first class match this Summer.  And the five bowlers have taken ten wickets between them this Summer.  

For the BBC and Sky commentators to imply that England were under-prepared compared to their opponents is wrong in my view.  India are one of the best two teams in the world, and England aren't.  That's the biggest and most apparent difference in the teams so far; that, and the fact India's selection for this match is far better than England's. 
  • Options
    Jimmy digging us out of a hole for about the 100th time...
  • Options
    Hahahaha Rahane!!!
  • Options
    He has to be one of the worst runners of modern times 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He has to be one of the worst runners of modern times 
    Why is he trying to take quick singles with a dodgy hamstring!?
  • Options
    Ah and Strauss comes on commentary. Always intensely annoying when that happens
  • Options
    England fight back is on, thank god for Anderson!
  • Options
    I have defended Sibley for ages but i'm sick of him now. Get Hameed in 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we're all sick of him tbh 
  • Options

Laws of Cricket

2.7 Fitness for play

2.7.1 It is solely for the umpires together to decide whether either conditions of ground, weather or light or exceptional circumstances mean that it would be dangerous or unreasonable for play to take place. 

Conditions shall not be regarded as either dangerous or unreasonable merely because they are not ideal.

The fact that the grass and the ball are wet does not warrant the ground conditions being regarded as unreasonable or dangerous.

2.7.2 Conditions shall be regarded as dangerous if there is actual and foreseeable risk to the safety of any player or umpire.

2.7.3 Conditions shall be regarded as unreasonable if, although posing no risk to safety, it would not be sensible for play to proceed.

2.7.4 If the umpires consider the ground is so wet or slippery as to deprive the bowler of a reasonable foothold, the fielders of the power of free movement, or the batsmen of the ability to play their strokes or to run between the wickets, then these conditions shall be regarded as so bad that it would be dangerous and unreasonable for play to take place.

2.8 Suspension of play in dangerous or unreasonable circumstances

2.8.1 All references to ground include the pitch.  See Law 6.1 (Area of pitch).

2.8.2 The Umpires shall immediately suspend play, or not allow play to start or to recommence, if either umpire considers that the conditions of ground, weather or light, or any other circumstances are either dangerous or unreasonable.

2.8.3 When there is a suspension of play it is the responsibility of the umpires to monitor conditions.  They shall make inspections as often as appropriate, unaccompanied by any players or officials.  Immediately the umpires together agree that the conditions are no longer dangerous or unreasonable they shall call upon the players to resume play. 

It's utterly ridiculous to take the players off the pitch when it's 'a bit gloomy', but the floodlights are on.  Cricket does itself no favours with this stupid circumstance.  If it rains, it's fair enough to leave the playing area - but at least play on until it starts.  

• Options
    What it has done is set a precedent now as to the light monitor limit.   So the next 2 days where rain is going to be hanging around for much of it and it'll likely be gloomy all day, they won't come out if the light isn't above todays limit. 

I get the safety thing though and the unnatural light of the ball/floodlights etc does affect it, it's just to much up to the umpires opinion rather than a set light number. Aleem Dar is always keen to get off for bad light or rain whereas other umpires will play through a bit of light drizzle for 10 mins to see if it passes. 

can't wait to spend my weekend in a bar in nottingham by the ground waiting for inspection after inspection. 
  • Options
    I have defended Sibley for ages but i'm sick of him now. Get Hameed in 
    Can't someone find some dodgy tweets he sent when he was 17...
  • Options
    George Dobell hits the nail on the head:

If you want responsibility, you have to look at Tom Harrison, the ECB chief executive, and the ECB board (including its former chair) which has empowered him to make a series of self-defeating decisions. Harrison, a man who has been seen in public less often than the Loch Ness Monster over the last 12-months, risks being remembered in cricket as Dr Beeching was with railways or Margaret Thatcher was with coal mines. If the policies he is pursuing go unchecked, they could destroy the red-ball game.

But he may have looked around Trent Bridge, noted the packed stands and considered it an excellent day. It's only when they are hit in the pockets that they will realise the folly of what they have done. That day will come but, by then, many of our current administrators will have sailed off into a golden sunset.
    Yes, at £120 a ticket next week I'll be thinking twice about attending future Tests if we're looking so abject.
    Unfortunately a lot of people will think like this. The ECB will then conclude that people don't want red ball cricket but only white ball! 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
     Bairstow first red ball game of the season and Curran first since jan according to TMS
    Did Commentator mention how many first class games the Indian players have had this summer?  
    No but I will lay you any odds you like that the Indian players will have played and practiced a lot more red ball than Buttler in that time. Actually I can evidence it if you really want me to.

Look at Buttler's dismissal - 17 balls faced and no runs on the board so he decides to throw his hands at one and nicks off. That is the shot of someone who is feeling scoreboard pressure when that simply shouldn't be the case.

Anyway, I'm now off to watch my son play some County age group red ball cricket. While I still can!!!
    You and Covered End know far more about cricket than I ever hope to, so I am not criticizing you for saying that the England players have had too little red ball cricket in the warm up to this match.  What I don't like is the casual, lazy comments by professional commentators and those paid to give their opinion for pointing out only half of the equation.  

It's true that the England players have had little red ball cricket this Summer. But is that the reason that India played so much better than England yesterday?  You would have to balance that up by showing the enormous amount of red ball cricket that's been played by the Indian players over the same timescale.  

Not one of their batting line-up has played more than four first class innings this Summer.  The wicket-keeper hasn't taken a catch in a first class match this Summer.  And the five bowlers have taken ten wickets between them this Summer.  

For the BBC and Sky commentators to imply that England were under-prepared compared to their opponents is wrong in my view.  India are one of the best two teams in the world, and England aren't.  That's the biggest and most apparent difference in the teams so far; that, and the fact India's selection for this match is far better than England's. 
    Unless I am mistaken they have been over here for a while and been practising for a while, while our guys have been playing white ball 100. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Unless I am mistaken they have been over here for a while and been practising for a while, while our guys have been playing white ball 100. 
    It may be true that the Indian players were netting with red balls while some of the England team were playing white ball matches and others were playing first class red ball cricket.  But the implication by broadcast commentators that England's poor performance on day one was due to having played too few first class red ball games doesn't stack up when you see how few the Indian players have played. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    redman said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

It may be true that the Indian players were netting with red balls while some of the England team were playing white ball matches and others were playing first class red ball cricket.  But the implication by broadcast commentators that England's poor performance on day one was due to having played too few first class red ball games doesn't stack up when you see how few the Indian players have played. 
    It's a mindset and when you play no red ball whatsoever it is difficult to switch from one to another. Especially when you've done nothing but playing white ball. 

I raised this issue when Zac Crawley was pulled out of his CC game against Lancs after a duck courtesy of Jimmy Anderson. He missed a valuable opportunity to bat in the 2nd innings against Anderson and two more chances to do so in Kent's best CC game. Why? To go and play white ball again - this time for England. Sibley hasn't played any cricket of any description for 24 days. Burns scored 63 runs in four CC innings but again this was interspersed with white ball games which really does not suit his skillset.

By comparison, India's top three have not played any white ball in three months. That is the difference but there is one other aspect to this.

The Indian players, as kids, would have been drilled and drilled and drilled, firstly by their dads and then by their coaches, on how to play straight. Probably for three or four hours every day growing up. Their attacking intent that they transfer to white ball is layered onto their basically sound technique.

Ask any English coach if he could get a group of 10 year olds to do the very same drills hour after hour and they would probably laugh. Because it isn't considered fun. And playing sport should be about fun. 

There are, of course, exceptions but in the current England side only Root has a tried and tested technique at Test level. But he is the only one in our side who enjoys a Test average of over 34 - as opposed to all of India's top 8. The rest of the England players either have obvious flaws or, as a result of playing so much white ball cricket, they simply do not have plans on how to combat the moving red ball. Or both.
  • Options
    It's Bunbury week where all the best U15s in the country are split into four team and play against each other in a comp. I couldn't help noticing that in the North side was a Haydon Mustard, a wicket keeper, an Archie Vaughan, an opening bat and a Corey Flintoff, an all rounder. 

And yes they all are!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was it last year or the year before when the talk was that we shouldn't play Jimmy and Broady together, and that we should plan for life without them?

Well that moment looks further away than ever. Archer and Stone long term absentees, Stokes out of the India series, Woakes out injured at the moment, Wood needing to be managed as the only genuine quick left for the Ashes tour.

After that the cupboard is looking a bit bare. Robinson is looking like he can establish himself in the team, but after that you're left with the likes of Craig Overton and Saq Mahmood, would you rest Jimmy or Broady and play one of them?
  • Options
    Lawrence is no Jonty Rhodes is he? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Out of the two I’d play Pope over Lawrence. 
  • Options
    Lawrence has shown more with the bat recently. Needs a good second innings mind 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Lawrence has shown more with the bat recently. Needs a good second innings mind 
    Define recently- he has 3 ducks in 4 innings 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Out of the two I’d play Pope over Lawrence. 
    Pope is out with an injury, he should be back soon
  • Options
    Leuth said:

He was more like Zandra Rhodes there
  • Options
    Sam Curran isn't one of the 20 best pace bowlers in England ffs. Drop the mascot and keep him dropped until he puts top-6 batting numbers down 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sam Curran isn't one of the 20 best pace bowlers in England ffs. Drop the mascot and keep him dropped until he puts top-6 batting numbers down 

I get what you are saying but in this match he is batting 8 in the absence of Stokes/Woakes/Moeen as the allrounder and is 4th seamer. Its not his fault that they didn't pick a spinner. He's a useful player but he wouldn't get in my side if we had an allrounder available and nor would he get in as one of the first 3 seamers, but in this situation I think selection was justified.

• Options
    Leuth said:

I get what you are saying but in this match he is batting 8 in the absence of Stokes/Woakes/Moeen as the allrounder and is 4th seamer. Its not his fault that they didn't pick a spinner. He's a useful player but he wouldn't get in my side if we had an allrounder available and nor would he get in as one of the first 3 seamers, but in this situation I think selection was justified.

To me in red ball cricket he's more a 5th bowler, than 4th out of 4 bowlers

But then No 8 is too low in the batting order as well, a reflection of how desperate England are to lengthen their batting order