Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akin Famewo

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I call him Fa me wo.
    Commentators call him Fame wo.
    Which is it?
    While we’re at it, is it like ‘aching’, ‘akin’ or ‘ack In’?
    My experience of Nigerian names it ought to be Fam e wo with the e pronounced a as in hay
    Hence Fam a wo. 
    Yet he himself pronounced it Ack'in Fam-woah.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Thanks Dazzler, so it's pronounced Akin Famwo, with a silent e.
    Sorted.
  • Options
    From todays Eastern Daily Press. (Norwich City)

There has been speculation City could recall Famewo in January to give head coach Daniel Farke another option at the heart of his defence. The recent departures of Ben Godfrey and Tim Klose has left City with just three senior options at centre back in the form of Ben Gibson, Grant Hanley and Christoph Zimmermann.

Famewo is highly thought of by City’s coaching staff although a decision will have to be made whether he would be better staying at the Valley to get regular first team football or whether he is in a position to challenge for a first team spot at Carrow Road.

• Options

There has been speculation City could recall Famewo in January to give head coach Daniel Farke another option at the heart of his defence. The recent departures of Ben Godfrey and Tim Klose has left City with just three senior options at centre back in the form of Ben Gibson, Grant Hanley and Christoph Zimmermann.

Famewo is highly thought of by City’s coaching staff although a decision will have to be made whether he would be better staying at the Valley to get regular first team football or whether he is in a position to challenge for a first team spot at Carrow Road.

Looking at the dates, Gibson joined Norwich on loan on the 4th September, Famewo joined us on the 26th September, while Godfrey left to join Everton on the 5th October

If Godfrey had gone earlier, maybe they wouldn't have loaned out Famewo?
  • Options

Looking at the dates, Gibson joined Norwich on loan on the 4th September, Famewo joined us on the 26th September, while Godfrey left to join Everton on the 5th October

If Godfrey had left before Akin, City would have had someone lined up - Stuart Webber is their equivalent of Steve Gallen and seems to be just as good in identifying potential targets.

I still think Famewo would have gone out on loan to get more experience before being considered for the first team. He may have been on loan to St Mirren (?) last year but English Division Three is a much tougher stage than Scotland.

Hopefully Akin can see out the season with us and then I'd expect him to have a similar career progression to Godfrey after his loan spell with Shrewsbury.
  • Options

If Godfrey had left before Akin, City would have had someone lined up - Stuart Webber is their equivalent of Steve Gallen and seems to be just as good in identifying potential targets.

I still think Famewo would have gone out on loan to get more experience before being considered for the first team. He may have been on loan to St Mirren (?) last year but English Division Three is a much tougher stage than Scotland.

Hopefully Akin can see out the season with us and then I'd expect him to have a similar career progression to Godfrey after his loan spell with Shrewsbury.
    Unless Norwich go up and therefore sell him to us. 
  • Options

Godfrey was touted for a premier league move all pre-season, so i'm pretty sure they always knew he'd be leaving.
  • Options
    I see Zimmerman was injured for their game against Bristol City at the weekend and looking at their bench, there were no subs who were defenders.

I think they will be targeting other players anyway, but I think to cover themselves they will recall Famewo. 

But hopefully not, he looks excellent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s almost certain they’ll recall him. They’re not going to waste money on a back-up CB when they’ve got this lad on their books. 
  • Options
    Gallen will already have a list of replacements I’m sure! Players come & go! 
  • Options
    It’s almost certain they’ll recall him. They’re not going to waste money on a back-up CB when they’ve got this lad on their books. 
    You never know. They got around 35-40m for selling Godfrey and Lewis and there's a big gap between top of league one and top of the championship, so they may decide to buy someone.

However i do agree it's pretty likely he'll be recalled, even if just as backup to Hanley and Gibson.
  • Options
    Sorted.
    Ventokele still grinds my gears. 
  • Options
    After Godfrey went to Everton it left Norwich with only three fit Centre backs.
    Then one became injured (I think it was Zimmermann) leaving them with just two.
    Apparently, the manager tried to sign a Centre back on the last day of the window but was unsuccessful due to financial reasons.
    Surprising considering the fee's they received for Godfrey and Lewis.   
  • Options
    Sorted.
    And I'm guessing Harriotts busts your buffers
  • Options
    Sorted.
    You fancy him?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sadly, when you loan out a player, you have him watched. They will be aware that he will solve a problem. It is very likely he will be recalled unless he starts playing crap, which none of us want or expect. At least he will be recalled at a time where we can find other options. In the meantime, we should be grateful we have him now.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sorted.
    You fancy him?
    https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/grind_one's_gears
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sorted.
    You fancy him?
    Why use three words when a proper word is clearer, especially when criticising someone else’s bad English?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorted.
    You fancy him?
    Why use three words when a proper word is clearer, especially when criticising someone else’s bad English?
     It's a pretty common term.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorted.
    You fancy him?
    Whatever.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Out for 4 weeks. I hope we didn't start him injured in the game he came off. 

Wonder if this will help us or go against us with Norwich. 

Something in me doesn't look forward to Innis and Pearce, but cant complain with his experience at this level. 
  • Options
    Frustrating as we’ve looked so composed with him in the back four.  It’s the lack of pace at centre back that could be an issue.  I guess Pearce is the best option when fit, but he said he wouldn’t be ready for Plymouth 2mo.  This intl break has been quite timely 
  • Options
    Big blow but to be fair, December isn't that far away and Jason Pearce is nearly fit to cover. 
  • Options
    big blow....given our recent injury record + the fact everyone seems to think Norwich will recall him, don't expect to see him again play for us ;)
  • Options
    We don’t play many games in November though, do we?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!