Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Mumford appointed as Commercial Director

Comments

• Options
    Don't forget the lucky socks.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Swisdom said:
    Rome was t built in a day

it took years of abuse to fuck us up so it is likely to take a little while to right the wrongs 
    Agree.

From what I've seen on Twitter it seems TS and NAs positivity about next season has increased expectations, we're expected to win the title comfortably. Some were expecting a brilliant squad to be put together very quickly, with us signing other clubs best players.

Throwing millions at it like that is one way to succeed but it's not the only way. I still expect the squad to look a lot better by the time the window closes.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

it took years of abuse to fuck us up so it is likely to take a little while to right the wrongs 
    Agree.

From what I've seen on Twitter it seems TS and NAs positivity about next season has increased expectations, we're expected to win the title comfortably. Some were expecting a brilliant squad to be put together very quickly, with us signing other clubs best players.

Throwing millions at it like that is one way to succeed but it's not the only way. I still expect the squad to look a lot better by the time the window closes.
    Adkins pointing at Hull the Champions and saying that will be us next season and Sandgaard saying will we smash this league, meant everyone of sound mind expected us to be competing to be Champions.
    There was no other interpretation unless you thought they were bullshitters.
    Of course, but some have written off our chances because the transfer window so far hasn't been what they expected based on those expectations.

I don't think we can write off our chances of a good season yet, do you?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Simple, but great post.

I can’t imagine the behind the scenes mess that was left by ESI and friends. Unfortunately some fans see Sandgaard’s overall wealth and presume everything with the club should be perfect. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Agree.

Adkins pointing at Hull the Champions and saying that will be us next season and Sandgaard saying will we smash this league, meant everyone of sound mind expected us to be competing to be Champions.
    I think it was clear that Nigel was just laying out his intentions in the heat of the moment, rather than making a comment on available budget. But yeah, Thomas' claim definitely was misjudged. But we can definitely still compete to be Champions with a few more additions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Agree.

Of course, but some have written off our chances because the transfer window so far hasn't been what they expected based on those expectations.

Nope, not before the window closes.
    But I think the vast majority expected better signings thus far, to a greater or lesser extent.
    So did I, but there's still plenty of time to build a strong squad.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Agree.

But I think the vast majority expected better signings thus far, to a greater or lesser extent.
    But even if Charlton went out and signed the biggest names available and threw millions at it in transfer fees, wages, 3 year contacts etc., there's no guarantee of success, is there?

The only guarantee is that you've spent a huge amount of money - and maybe undermined the financial stability of the club.

Alternatively, you can take the best of what you already have; and judiciously add what you consider to be the right players (ability, budget and importantly character) to build a squad that can challenge in the promotion race.

The best eleven players rarely make the best team.
    Remember Curbs old mantra? "The team is greater than the sum of its parts", paraphrasing the words and wisdom of Aristotle.

And no, not even Bexley Boy has seen him on trial at Sparrows Lane.: Cawley denied it too. smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Agree.

But even if Charlton went out and signed the biggest names available and threw millions at it in transfer fees, wages, 3 year contacts etc., there's no guarantee of success, is there?

The only guarantee is that you've spent a huge amount of money - and maybe undermined the financial stability of the club.

Alternatively, you can take the best of what you already have; and judiciously add what you consider to be the right players (ability, budget and importantly character) to build a squad that can challenge in the promotion race.

Remember Curbs old mantra? "The team is greater than the sum of its parts", paraphrasing the words and wisdom of Aristotle.

And no, not even Bexley Boy has seen him on trial at Sparrows Lane.: Cawley denied it too. smile:

I don't disagree at all.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Agree.

I don't disagree at all.
    And nor do I. :smile:

• Options
    3 weeks ago my pal left a message with the commercial Dept to sponsor a player, and was told they would call him back. 
    No call ever came. 
  • Options
    3 weeks ago my pal left a message with the commercial Dept to sponsor a player, and was told they would call him back. 
    No call ever came. 
    Presumably they weren’t expecting to hear back from the commercial director, though? It’s not good but the staffing level is inadequate so things will slip through the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyway he lost his mojo when he left the band...
  • Options
    No call ever came. 
    I made an enquiry about advertising in the programme as soon as Roland sold up but never heard back.

I'm sure it's not been easy in recent years being on the payroll of Charlton but the club appear to be missing out on potential income. Would the club make more profit if they invested in greater staff resources? 

If the club is to move forward, this area of activity needs to be better. Anybody showing interest in giving the club money should be on a mailing list to receive opportunities at the very least. 

• Options
    No call ever came. 
    I made an enquiry about advertising in the programme as soon as Roland sold up but never heard back.

I'm sure it's not been easy in recent years being on the payroll of Charlton but the club appear to be missing out on potential income. Would the club make more profit if they invested in greater staff resources? 

If the club is to move forward, this area of activity needs to be better. Anybody showing interest in giving the club money should be on a mailing list to receive opportunities at the very least. 

I went on the website yesterday; clicked.on hospitality packages and it said none available, clicked on tours, it said none available, clicked on pitch side experiences, it said none available, clicked on mascot package, none available.  Two weeks.before the season starts, I found it strange
    All of these comments/experiences might be worth forwarding to the fan adviser? Do they have an account on here?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Agree.

To quote a poster on here "Let's see where we are in October".
  • Options
    I went on the website yesterday; clicked.on hospitality packages and it said none available, clicked on tours, it said none available, clicked on pitch side experiences, it said none available, clicked on mascot package, none available.  Two weeks.before the season starts, I found it strange
    Did the same as was up for it before the game. Bought three seats instead.