Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Mumford appointed as Commercial Director

Comments

• Options
    3 weeks ago my pal left a message with the commercial Dept to sponsor a player, and was told they would call him back. 
    No call ever came. 
    Presumably they weren’t expecting to hear back from the commercial director, though? It’s not good but the staffing level is inadequate so things will slip through the net.
    No, not at all - but the buck stops at the top. 

Get more staff, and if TS won’t allow it, then he needs to have the balls to flag up that we are using resources to get goldfish membership and ignoring the more mainstream opportunities. 
  • Options
    The next kit supplier deal is the test, if it’s just a catalogue deal with a third party then there is nothing to the new commercial team, if it’s a better deal with Hummel or a great deal with one of the new entrants on the market, then they’ve got something that will generate funds in higher divisions 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The next kit supplier deal is the test, if it’s just a catalogue deal with a third party then there is nothing to the new commercial team, if it’s a better deal with Hummel or a great deal with one of the new entrants on the market, then they’ve got something that will generate funds in higher divisions 
    Important how that is, it is not the way to judge a commercial team. Getting promotion should get us that.
    New revenue streams are as important.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Agreed. Some companies offer less money but more free kit to clubs, and others offer more money but less kit. Will be interesting to see what happens. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    [Another detailed well-argued post, but please don't quote it in full - AW]
    Post of the year!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I not really sure it matters that much tbh.  The increase in central revenue is about 8 million quid. A purchased ticket for a match is about £8 when you factor in VAT, kids tickets etc.  The mark up for a shirt is about £15 quid. 

How many shirts do well sell a year?  Accrington sell about 750, so if you guess at 2000 for us?  It's only about £30k it's pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things.  A year's worth of shirt sales is worth about an increase of less than 200 paid people per match. 
  • Options
    All this, there’s no coverage in league one, just win the FA Cup or at least put out a team capable of winning a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Rothko said:
    Important how that is, it is not the way to judge a commercial team. Getting promotion should get us that.
    New revenue streams are as important.
    The kit deal for season 22/23 will be signed long before we know what division we'll be in. 

Hummel were consulting the museum and fans in the October before the next season and had already put in lots of work before then.

But promotion would, most likely, change the value of any deal agreed.
  • Options
    The biggest impact you can have at this level is selling more tickets (along with food and merch) can’t see any evidence of any schemes so far that address this, in fact quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t you say that was a natural uptake post Roland, and building on Bowyers years?
  • Options
    razil said:
    Wouldn’t you say that was a natural uptake post Roland, and building on Bowyers years?
    Possibly, but the club still put a resource up for a campaign they ran for seasons ticket sales. 
  • Options
    razil said:
    In part but they still pushed hard, published the numbers, made videos, etc, etc.

There was a lot of negatively when we didn't make the playoffs so it wasn't a given that we break records for ST sales.

And the prices weren't cheap either.  

Whatever way you look at it the campaign was a success.

I think the "open" training session is a missed opportunity but clearly the club disagree.
  • Options
    Seemed like an after thought to me, just my view

-no campaign during a long period of televised games which if you believe the press was reaching a big audience with potential new sales
    - No change to pricing or structures
    - No consultation with the FF (still not functioning)

you could argue they didn’t know which league and or covid impact on next year, but I don’t buy that personally.

along with fixing a number of things that weren’t necessarily broken, they fixed things that will have very little impact at all/not for a long time, which comes across as tinkering 
  • Options
    On season tickets sold we’re approaching similar numbers to 10/11 and 11/12.

We lost about 3k at this level during the RD years after relegation and the protests had started.

Of course we now also have to deal with the impact of Covid. I expect that has either put some people off and others might no longer be in the position to be buying a season ticket for whatever reason.

• Options
    What different ideas would you have introduced @razil
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Rothko said:
    Agreed. Some companies offer less money but more free kit to clubs, and others offer more money but less kit. Will be interesting to see what happens. 
    Some want to run the club shop and others don’t, and I think Sandgaard has said he wants it ran in-house again 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    razil said:
    The biggest impact you can have at this level is selling more tickets (along with food and merch) can’t see any evidence of any schemes so far that address this, in fact quite the opposite.
    We've sold 9k season tickets which may well be a record for this level.

There was certainly a big campaign around that.

The next step is to sell more match day tickets and, in part, the membership and group affiliation, are about that as they gather more info and allow more direct contact to groups and individuals.

There are valid criticisms of the membership scheme but it is a scheme
    It's not. It is a return to the sort of numbers we had 2009-12 or, more specifically and hopefully by the end of August, 2009/10.

Clearly season ticket sales in L1 2016-19 were suppressed by the Duchatelet factor and are not a useful comparator. 

What I think we did see in 2019/20 was some growth in match ticket sales, which could be very poor indeed in those earlier L1 seasons. For some evening games the club would struggle to sell 1,000 match tickets to home fans. I don't see the current pricing helping with that.
  • Options
    Still plenty of time for the Wednesday game to be bigged up as "massive".  Come the end of next week I am sure the champaign will really kick in.

New owner ✅
    New Manager ✅
    New kit ✅
    New players ✅
    New stand name ✅

It will be a big crowd even if its "inflated". 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    razil said:
    Possibly, but the club still put a resource up for a campaign they ran for seasons ticket sales. 
    As it has every season in my memory, which you would expect given that it is such a significant source of revenue. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    razil said:
    As it has every season in my memory, which you would expect given that it is such a significant source of revenue. 
    Yes, but the suggestion was that they'd done nothing.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    razil said:
    Agree, I was just pointing it out as some peole said it's done nothing. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    I would radically overhaul the whole structure and gear it to maximising take up,( but I would do this firmly in partnership with the fans groups) particularly with regard to encouraging younger generations. I would pay a lot more attention to the offering and cost to fans of the match day experience, and would aim to make ours the best in the country.
  • Options
    razil said:
    In part but they still pushed hard, published the numbers, made videos, etc, etc.

There was a lot of negatively when we didn't make the playoffs so it wasn't a given that we break records for ST sales.

And the prices weren't cheap either.  

Whatever way you look at it the campaign was a success.

I think the "open" training session is a missed opportunity but clearly the club disagree.
    Meire would have loved to have published the numbers if they had reached any level worth shouting about
  • Options
    razil said:
    cafc999 said:
    I would radically overhaul the whole structure and gear it to maximising take up,( but I would do this firmly in partnership with the fans groups) particularly with regard to encouraging younger generations. I would pay a lot more attention to the offering and cost to fans of the match day experience, and would aim to make ours the best in the country.
    I get that, but what new innovation and radical new ideas would you employ to achieve all of that?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Scoham said:
    On season tickets sold we’re approaching similar numbers to 10/11 and 11/12.

We lost about 3k at this level during the RD years after relegation and the protests had started.

Of course we now also have to deal with the impact of Covid. I expect that has either put some people off and others might no longer be in the position to be buying a season ticket for whatever reason.

Those numbers will include half seasons, which are typically well under 500, but do mean you can't benchmark them against current sales. You also have to be cautious about what is being counted as it may differ between seasons / management.

From memory, 2009/10 was a bit over 10,000. I have all the data but it's not easily accessible.

Note the difference between 2012/13 and 2013/14 - that was because of a price hike. We could have been bolder in 2012, but the club got it wrong in 2013 and never recovered that ground subsequently.