Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pies

124»

Comments

• Options
    At balti pie from the valley
    Never has one sounded so good now we are barred
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The kitchen at work makes a vegan soya mince and veg pie which is the business and  it has been known for any spares on the hot plate to make their way into my bag. They’re a little bit of heaven had with baked beans and a splosh of HP.
  • Options
    I used to love a homemade Steak, Ale and Stilton pie!
    Now it’s a fish pie with potatoes and leek.
  • Options
    Back in the away days of the 90s, at least one pie at a ground was a must, to soak up the booze that had been consumed in either @Oakster 's car or on the train since 7.30am or whatever time we'd left SE10/SE7...  Notable pies: a heated, bog standard, pork pie that they sold in the home fans only pub next to Elland Road (b*ggered if I can remember it's name.....The Peacock?...we weren't meant to be in there, but we were there at opening and they tolerated a group of 5 or so of us...even if we did have the whole pub singing at us at one point...)...anyway, that pie was 'weird'... But best that I can remember was - funnily enough given @Carter 's posts above - a chicken Balti pie at Villa Park...where I actually had to have two of them...but that might also have had something to do with the session on the train and then knocking on the door of the Cap'n'Gown pub at 11am, demanding to be let in so that we could have a round of shots...  Those were the days....
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Butternut squash, spinach and feta (filo)

Minced beef and onion (shortcrust)
    Chicken leek and ham hock (puff pastry)
    Steak, ale and kidney pudding (suet)
    Chicken, Chorizo and red pepper (puff pastry)

Are all in their own way banging pies, but the best pie I ever had was from a gourmet pie stand at a food festival, it was Greek spiced lamb pie with mint gravy and roast potatoes as the top (pastry sides) it sounds mental and to be honest a bit of a bastard to eat, but feck me sideways it was heaven. 
  • Options
    For those in the area, The Ship Inn at Lower Upnor does an awesome steak and kidney pudding and a great steak and ale pie...
  • Options
    Duke's in St Osyth make their own pasties.  Absolutely sublime.
  • Options
    Around 2000 I was in an Aussie pub in Hong Kong watching the Aussies v The British Lions. At half-time they brought round free pies and what I thought was ketchup so I put a very liberal dose on the pie.

Turns out it was chilli sauce.
  • Options
    In an attempt to unify the pie & toast threads I have, after literally seconds of research, discovered various recipes for apple pie on french toast. 
  • Options
    Nice review of a pub doing pies in the Guardian at the weekend

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/11/the-windmill-london-you-will-be-rewarded-with-terrific-pie-restaurant-review

For me it's about the grave (tender meat and decent quality pastry should be a given in any pie). If I had to choose it would be a steak pie of some sort (not with stilton, which I love but completely overpowers all other flavours). Ale in the gravy is OK but red wine is better. Chicken and ham pie with proper gravy (not white) can also be great. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    As for football pies, by far and away the best I've had was at Huddersfield, despite the 4-0 drubbing earlier this year. Absolutely superb bit of nosh. Had one before the game and we all double dipped at half time (in fairness, we were all nursing massive hangovers, please don't judge me too harshly). The spicy chicken balti was the winner overall.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Nice review of a pub doing pies in the Guardian at the weekend

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/11/the-windmill-london-you-will-be-rewarded-with-terrific-pie-restaurant-review

For me it's about the grave (tender meat and decent quality pastry should be a given in any pie). If I had to choose it would be a steak pie of some sort (not with stilton, which I love but completely overpowers all other flavours). Ale in the gravy is OK but red wine is better. Chicken and ham pie with proper gravy (not white) can also be great. 

Went there many years ago for the pies, and they were excellent back then too. Clearly, if it aint broke...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    As for football pies, by far and away the best I've had was at Huddersfield, despite the 4-0 drubbing earlier this year. Absolutely superb bit of nosh. Had one before the game and we all double dipped at half time (in fairness, we were all nursing massive hangovers, please don't judge me too harshly). The spicy chicken balti was the winner overall.

Not surprising - Huddersfield have been unbeaten in pie competitions for 22 years.

(seriously, they are good pies)
  • Options
    I always found the best football pie was at Carrow Road
    they changed the menu each week, good old Delia ;)
  • Options
    If you ever sample the delights of Ibrox, a scotch pie goes down a treat, so much so that I put 4 away at a bang average Rangers v Strnhousemuir game a few years back.

That was the start and I’ve dabbled in more of the same at Ibrox, Celtic park and Hampden since.

I’m pretty sure they’re probably vile but after a session around the classy establishments of Glasgow they don’t half hit the spot.
    Scotch pies with a dollop of Brown sauce are so moorish. I can never just have one. Davie Milne (died a few years back), a Charlton supporter from Elgin in the north of Scotland, was a former butcher and used to do the match day Scotcharge pies at Elgin City home games. Never tasted better.
  • Options
    Marks and spencer chicken or steak pie served in this household once or so a week , always a winner with the most fussy of kids you’d ever want to punch during meal time (myself included)

love a pie 

used to like “COOK’S”  chicken , leek and ham pie but not had one for years , not sure if they’re still around .
    Cook's are still going strong in Blackheath Village (also Bromley, Dulwich and  Petts Wood). Their chicken, leek and ham pie is gorgeous. All their stuff appears pricey but I reckon it's good value. Decent portion size and no cynical scrimping on ingredients. Best of all, it's all 'home cooked' so you can pull one out of the oven and guests are always impressed.
  • Options

You could get a quality Cornish pasty there in the 90s. Treated myself to two.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    I was really craving a pie yesterday. Anything with mushrooms in. I was also craving smash for some reason, though I’ve not had it in years. 

There really should be pie delivery places all round London, like pizza.
    You can get pieminster pies and mash from Royal Oak on deliveroo

• Options
    Were you secretly attending Norwich games whilst livng in the area?
  • Options
    For those in the area, The Ship Inn at Lower Upnor does an awesome steak and kidney pudding and a great steak and ale pie...
    Had both.  Not at one sitting mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Were you secretly attending Norwich games whilst livng in the area?
    That's a fair cop, only went there once, but their pies 
    were luverly ;)
  • Options
    This was a lamb pie I had last week in Isle of Wight. A pub called the Propeller thats on the outskirts of an airfield. It was beautiful and even though I was disappointed that they had no steak pies, I'd put it in my top 3 pies.
    There is a Spanish tuna pie that is also in my top 3.
    The Scotch pies mentioned are also great. I can eat them all day with gravy or brown sauce on.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Place just opened a couple of miles from me called The Rural Pie Co.
    Apart from cooked breakfasts, it focuses on really well made pies and a range of locally brewed beers.
    First visit last night and will be a regular. Spent about half an hour chatting to the owner. All the pies are handmade in their kitchen, and he's spent ages perfecting the fillings, successfully judging by last night.
    And the beer is all local (Berkshire) craft stuff, Santo from Siren and Railway Porter from Bond both excellent.