Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pies

Comments

• Next time any of you visit Carrow Road check out their pies available at all kiosk outlets at the ground, I believe they do two or three different ones.
    I remember going to a Boxing Day game there a few haircuts back......they had a Christmas Pie special on sale, absolutely stonking bit of grub, so good that despite the queue, I went back and got another.
    Their pies are quite simply superb.
    Though when we will next find ourselves in Norwich at Carrow Road , God alone knows?

Amusingly, there were three girls at uni called The Sisterhood of The Travelling Pies.  They posted on here once. See https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/79147/bryan-hughes/p1

For a while they travelled around sports stadia sampling and reviewing the pies on offer.  The web site has gone but the facebook page is still up.  I suspect the "project" ended when they left uni. Still what a helpful thing to do: road test pies on behalf of the poor unsuspecting away supporter.
  • I do enjoy a good pie however I am old skool so a pie needs to have a crust base, sides and a top, not just ingrediants placed in a foil or ceramic dish with a bit of pastry draped over the top.

My missus makes a mean Chicken & Leek pie however Steak & Ale, Steak & Kidney, Chicken & Mushroom etc, all good.
    I'm with you there, except I do know how to spell 'school'.

Leek and mushroom, chicken and mushroom, chicken and ham, Jerusalem artichoke and garlic cream, there are so many good ones it's hard to name a favourite.
  • edited October 2020
    Talal said:
    They just make me think of that physio we had who used to chuck them into the crowd. 
    Late 90's early 00's that was my most fanatical era of football fandom...

Second song I learned the words to after VFR was who ate all the pies. Despite being about 12 at the time. 
  • I've gone for lamb.

I was just going to put a puff top on it but having seen the light, I've decided all my pies will have bottoms and sides from now on.

I've not got any shortcrust so going to have to pre-bake the puff bottom before filling. 
  • Theres a pie place near me that I have been desperate to try!

Might be done this weekend....

https://www.piecaramba.co.uk/
    That Piescraper is a bit of meal.
  • Carter said:
    For the record I wouldn't dream of touching a pie or any other over priced shitty baked item at football. For a start it goes against my ethos of not wasting calories on shit food and secondly people who eat at football do my head in, I don't take it personally but I am lost as to why. Its never at a time when you would eat normally
     Depends really, to get to the Valley for kick off I have to leave at about 12:30, get parked up by 1:30 and into the ground at 2pm - So we tend to grab a late lunch at the ground (IF i haven't been prepared and made food in advance), usually inside so I can get to seats with the kid and flick through a programme or VotV whilst she eats.

If I have been prepared, you can guarantee the bored toddler will want something else... So i'll grab something like a pie for the little one at half time, which is usually only a good temperature for a kid around 4:15/4:30. So she'll eat that around then. I will only do that though if I know we can't get something from the services on the way home. 
  • lamb and rosemary and steak and guinness as served in the pub along the road. Pint glass in the right top corner gives an idea of scale. Brim full of filling too. No pudding for me, thank you.
  • IdleHans said:
    lamb and rosemary and steak and guinness as served in the pub along the road. Pint glass in the right top corner gives an idea of scale. Brim full of filling too. No pudding for me, thank you.
    Looks like 14 chips to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tesco finest Chicken Ham and Leek surprisingly good plenty of soft meat and none of that indeterminate mush so often found in shop bought meat pies.
    Almost anything tasty can be bundled up into a pastry crust for added deliciousness plus cutlery free consumption.  A "butter pie" in the North West was possibly the exception, it seemed to be potato in some sort of buttery savoury liquor in a very short piecrust, didn't work on any level.

This isn't actually a debate tho is it - steak and (beef) kidney in roughly 3:2 proportion in thick thick beef gravy is the king of savoury pies, all others aspire to a distant 2nd place in this one horse race.

blue cheese in a meat pie is pure malicious wankery perpetrated by arch trouble makers on the willingly deluded, usually friendless guardian reading pseuds desperate for some imagined kudos in the company of other pseuds
  • Shortcrust is an absolute must. Fish an chip shop near us in Streatham makes their own pies from scratch. Their steak and Stilton is a whole different level.
  • What are the pies of which the stench pervaded the whole carriage on late night trains home from London Bridge or Charing Cross?
  • I was tempted to buy a tinned pie the other day. Haven't had one in years. Talked myself out of it but haven't completely dismissed the idea. Will have to persuade the wife though. It will surely be a disapointment, but I remember enjoying them when I was a boy.
  • seth plum said:
    What are the pies of which the stench pervaded the whole carriage on late night trains home from London Bridge or Charing Cross?
    I believe that would be a Cornish pasty not a pie
  • Can’t beat a good pie, following being furloughed and bored I started make my own, now do 15 for the family once a month - the favourites being Chicken/Gammon - Mince n Potato & Chicken Madras....Open for other suggestions🥧🥧🥧🥧
  • Carter said:
    For the record I wouldn't dream of touching a pie or any other over priced shitty baked item at football. For a start it goes against my ethos of not wasting calories on shit food and secondly people who eat at football do my head in, I don't take it personally but I am lost as to why. Its never at a time when you would eat normally

When some dickhead who doesn't know anything about football or football fans asks 'what ground does the best pies' I find it lazy and stereotypical. 

To get a true feel for the away day football experience ask me about where to park that isn't patrolled by thieves or vandals, ask me where you are going to be able to have a dump if, god-forbid,  you need to drop anchor in the ground. Ask me about pubs where I won't get my face smashed in near the ground, not about fucking sweaty, horrible atrocities served at a temperature near the core of the sun that you can't, queue for, pay for and eat in 15 minutes. 

Someone at work told me about having a balti pie at Carrow Road, not because he had been there, not because he was going to go there but because he had heard on some lazy arsed programme that Norwich did good pies, because Delia Smith is involved. Which is probably bollocks anyway because Delia doesn't work in the catering department making the fucking things. When he asked me about Carrow Road and the pies there, I told him I didn't have a clue but apart from getting a bit of a shoeing up there in the late nineties I love Norwich as an away day for getting lashed up in the town centre and the easy train journey back 
    As it happens, I’ve had that pie at Carrow Road and it’s bloody good. 
  • Fucking hungry now!
  • edited October 2020
    Delia may not work in the kitchen, but she might have an interest in these things that others won't. Football catering is generally bland in this country when it needn't be. 
  • Probably sacrilege to pie lovers, but Pukka Pies have been £1 each in Morrisons for ages and I'm regularly topping up for pie mash and gravy once a week (some broccoli added to keep the wife and two of the kids happy).
    Their all Steak Pie is bloody lovely..... I’m a massive fan. An as you say often in Morrisons at £1 great value. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

When some dickhead who doesn't know anything about football or football fans asks 'what ground does the best pies' I find it lazy and stereotypical. 

To get a true feel for the away day football experience ask me about where to park that isn't patrolled by thieves or vandals, ask me where you are going to be able to have a dump if, god-forbid,  you need to drop anchor in the ground. Ask me about pubs where I won't get my face smashed in near the ground, not about fucking sweaty, horrible atrocities served at a temperature near the core of the sun that you can't, queue for, pay for and eat in 15 minutes. 

Someone at work told me about having a balti pie at Carrow Road, not because he had been there, not because he was going to go there but because he had heard on some lazy arsed programme that Norwich did good pies, because Delia Smith is involved. Which is probably bollocks anyway because Delia doesn't work in the catering department making the fucking things. When he asked me about Carrow Road and the pies there, I told him I didn't have a clue but apart from getting a bit of a shoeing up there in the late nineties I love Norwich as an away day for getting lashed up in the town centre and the easy train journey back 
    Actually, the pies ‘are’ made in a Delia Smith facility, somewhere in Norwich.
    A local bakery or delicatessen I believe.
  • edited October 2020
    Used to love the meat and potato pies you got at places like Barnsley and Hillsborough (sorry Carter :-) ). Away from that, a normal pork pie is always a treat, but those cold mixed meat ones you get on the deli in sainsburys etc are the real business.

Re the cornish pasty on trains question, I once bought one at Bristol from one of those stalls in the station, I was past Reading before it cooled off enough to eat...I think they warmed it on a nuclear fecking pile.
  • Lads I dont take it personally you knock yourself out, if they are good pies they are good pies what I'm saying is I don't care and I find the stereotype question asked to football people, by non-football people about food, not necessarily pies at football is at best, dull and naive at worst ignorant and insulting 

• IdleHans said:
    lamb and rosemary and steak and guinness as served in the pub along the road. Pint glass in the right top corner gives an idea of scale. Brim full of filling too. No pudding for me, thank you.
    Jeez your two for a fiver are good value.

Since I went veggie in January I have tried a few shop pies but mainly make my own. Morrisons Vegan Pies including their Vegan Cornish Pastie is ok. 
  • Does anyone recall the unpleasant chant of "Pie in her pocket, she's got a pie in her pocket." To a rather portly lady in the crowd at Northampton 2018, which was Hasselbaink's last game in charge. A Good Friday for him it wasn't.

So ashamed to say I laughed, as did my daughter stood next to me. 
  • When I ate meat I loved a pie. Steak and kidney, meat and potato, chicken, pork pie and especially a good Cornish pasty.

Until recently the veggie option was cheese and potato or onion. Which is shit but now the options are varied and really good.

And fruit pies lovely.
  • If you ever sample the delights of Ibrox, a scotch pie goes down a treat, so much so that I put 4 away at a bang average Rangers v Strnhousemuir game a few years back.

That was the start and I’ve dabbled in more of the same at Ibrox, Celtic park and Hampden since.

I’m pretty sure they’re probably vile but after a session around the classy establishments of Glasgow they don’t half hit the spot.
  • I was tempted to buy a tinned pie the other day. Haven't had one in years. Talked myself out of it but haven't completely dismissed the idea. Will have to persuade the wife though. It will surely be a disapointment, but I remember enjoying them when I was a boy.
    Am afraid I ate quite a few Fray Bentos pies when I was at university in the 70s. Bash it in the Baby Belling oven in our kitchen in the halls of residence, put on some baked beans to go with it and dinner was done.
  • Almost anything tasty can be bundled up into a pastry crust for added deliciousness plus cutlery free consumption.  A "butter pie" in the North West was possibly the exception, it seemed to be potato in some sort of buttery savoury liquor in a very short piecrust, didn't work on any level.

I was reading this thread remembering that the butter pie I had at Preston was the best ever pie I’ve had at a football ground (even with my prejudice against pies without meat, and having tried the Norwich one). 

Though on reflection it’s probably because it was the best memory of what seems on reflection a fairly grim 2-2 in league 1 when Graham Alexander scored an injury time equaliser. 

One of the few highlights of COVID and streaming games has been that the half time pies are slightly better quality than the usual fare served at The Valley...
  • Shortcrust is an absolute must. Fish an chip shop near us in Streatham makes their own pies from scratch. Their steak and KeStilton is a whole different level.
    Kennedys?