Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pies

I love 'em.

A good steak and ale is my favourite, but last night I had a chicken pie from Sparks which was so good I felt inspired. 

I'm going to make one tonight. 

Thinking something with Stilton but I'm easily swayed. 

What's your favourite savoury pie? 

Comments

• I was really craving a pie yesterday. Anything with mushrooms in. I was also craving smash for some reason, though I’ve not had it in years. 

There really should be pie delivery places all round London, like pizza.
  • EastStand said:
    I was really craving a pie yesterday. Anything with mushrooms in. I was also craving smash for some reason, though I’ve not had it in years. 

Vegan pie? What happens with the pastry? 
  • I do enjoy a good pie however I am old skool so a pie needs to have a crust base, sides and a top, not just ingrediants placed in a foil or ceramic dish with a bit of pastry draped over the top.

My missus makes a mean Chicken & Leek pie however Steak & Ale, Steak & Kidney, Chicken & Mushroom etc, all good.
    I like puff pastry. Does your missus go fully shortcrust or does she mix it up? 
  • I do enjoy a good pie however I am old skool so a pie needs to have a crust base, sides and a top, not just ingrediants placed in a foil or ceramic dish with a bit of pastry draped over the top.

My missus makes a mean Chicken & Leek pie however Steak & Ale, Steak & Kidney, Chicken & Mushroom etc, all good.
    I like puff pastry. Does your missus go fully shortcrust or does she mix it up? 
    She does both depending on size, thickness number of portions etc. We tend to make large pies then freeze a few portions that are left over for a later date. Shop bought pastry is as good as anything you can make, it all comes down to having the time etc.
    Completely agree, otherwise it's a stew with a bit of pastry as far as I'm concerned.
  • edited October 2020
    I like all sorts of pies but we make a mean leftover turkey and ham pie at Christmas. Includes leeks, orange (juice and zest), sherry, wholegrain mustard, tarragon, single cream and chicken stock. Really nice and tasty filling with a puff pastry topping. Has become a bit of a Christmas tradition. It's a Paul Hollywood recipe and you can pull the recipe off the BBC Food website.
  • Steak and Kidney or a Steak and Ale.

I always favoured a Peters pie but found them too dry compared to a Pukka pie.  A lot more gravy in the Pukka one now wins the day.
  • Marks and spencer chicken or steak pie served in this household once or so a week , always a winner with the most fussy of kids you’d ever want to punch during meal time (myself included)

love a pie 

used to like “COOK’S”  chicken , leek and ham pie but not had one for years , not sure if they’re still around .
  • Sponsored links:

• Had a Pukka vegetarian pie the other day, potato, leeks and cheese, thought it was quite nice.
  • Marks and spencer chicken or steak pie served in this household once or so a week , always a winner with the most fussy of kids you’d ever want to punch during meal time (myself included)

love a pie 

used to like “COOK’S”  chicken , leek and ham pie but not had one for years , not sure if they’re still around .
    There are, my son in works for them which is just as well at 16quid for a pie! 
    I could see cahones getting involved In pricing on match days  “Pie and a Pint” £30 😉

I always favoured a Peters pie but found them too dry compared to a Pukka pie.  A lot more gravy in the Pukka one now wins the day.
    That’s cos your constitution needs a bit of flushing out , so I’m the opposite and like the pie dryer and more meat just to try and solidify my stool
  • I made a quick & easy chicken and ham pie over the weekend. We had some chicken breasts that were about to go out of date so made the filling with condensed chicken soup, a bit of milk, lemon juice, parsley, seasoning and toped it off with some ready rolled puff pastry.

Not quite haute cuisine but tasted pretty good.

love a pie 

Had an M&S Steak and Old Tom Ale pie yesterday - heaven!

I only like beef or lamb in pies - lamb and sweet potato is wicked, and corned beef and potato another favourite.

As others have already said, it must be pastry base, sides and top - shortcrust preferred over puff pastry.

• I like all sorts of pies but we make a mean leftover turkey and ham pie at Christmas. Includes leeks, orange (juice and zest), sherry, wholegrain mustard, tarragon, single cream and chicken stock. Really nice and tasty filling with a puff pastry topping. Has become a bit of a Christmas tradition. It's a Paul Hollywood recipe and you can pull the recipe off the BBC Food website.
    Sounds incredible. I'll look it up. 

That’s cos your constitution needs a bit of flushing out , so I’m the opposite and like the pie dryer and more meat just to try and solidify my stool
    The only solid stool I like is perched at the bar.

love a pie 

There used to be a Cooks in blackheath village. Not sure if still there. Bought a lemon meringue pie out of there once which was very nice. Cost about a score though! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry, I wasn't just being grotesque. He blamed the explosion on eating a steak and Newcastle brown ale pie on the Saturday (definitely nothing to do with a weekend of heavy boozing and pub grub charlie)

You sure Elfs, the tills are situated on the bar and I hear you do not like to go anywhere near them  :)
  • EastStand said:
    I was really craving a pie yesterday. Anything with mushrooms in. I was also craving smash for some reason, though I’ve not had it in years. 

Vegan pie? What happens with the pastry? 
    Yeh boi. Fake butter innit, works the same.
  • The vegan pie was one of the 2 we've eaten and it is glorious, dont know how they did it but it is really, really nice 

You sure Elfs, the tills are situated on the bar and I hear you do not like to go anywhere near them  :)
    I put it on the slate.
  • The lamb and rosemary pie at Goddards is great.
  • Steak and blue cheese by Pieminster 
  • Steak & Kidney.

Rammed full of meat from the local butcher and served with a load of mash and gravy. Sumptuous.
  • Steak & Guinness pie. 😋
  • I think I saw that Pieminister is deliverinig pies locally from the British Oak pub on Deliveroo.