Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ghosts - Anyone claim to have seen one?

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Imagine how famous the first confirmed ghost would be. I'm sure that in today's fame-craving culture, ghosts would be fighting each other to "appear" on the news or a talk show.

And as others have said, why is it almost always a Victorian lady in a grey dress or someone "wakes up" to see a dead relative sitting on the end of their bed? 
    Does anyone honestly believe that they will ever see a ghost sitting next to them in the car while they're driving, or walking across a football pitch during a live game, for example? (although we have had a few players who might as well been ghosts)

With almost everyone carrying a camera with them nowadays, you would expect thousands of ghost sightings to be recorded every day, where are they?
    Think about how old the City of London is, how many ghosts have bowled through a busy working floor (pre-Corona, obvs) at 10:30am on a Tuesday morning?

It’s bizarre how people that you would otherwise think sensible are believers in this nonsense. 

Indeed, and not just the City of London, think how old the human race is. Why don't people ever report seeing ghosts of Homo habilis or Neanderthals in everyday settings.

There's also the question about why we don't see animal ghosts (apart from the headless horseman myth).
    A believer friend of mine said it was because animals don't have souls. When I questioned her about how she knew this, and what is a soul, she had no answer, but still continued to believe.
  • I once had a ghost poo, it was 100% real, well I think it was.
    Does that count @se9addick ??
  • MrOneLung said:
    think of all the times the clock hasn’t said 11:11
    Bet it will now
  • Years ago I was working in what was meant to be a secure, locked IT room of about 20 feet by 15 feet in an old City building but, being the 70s, we regularly left the door open anyway. One day I was working on something which meant me having to kneel down to get access when somebody tapped me on the shoulder. I said ‘hang on, I just need to do this bit’, quickly fixed the bit I was working on and turned around probably 10 to 15 seconds later to an empty room other than for me and the heavy door closed and locked. I later found out that somebody had died in the room years earlier. Didn’t spook me or stop me working in there afterwards but with the power blackouts because of miners strikes etc if I was working late and we were plunged into darkness at 9pm, walking up to the top floors with just a candle or lantern if I had to get something (how did we get away with that ? Health & safety? Fire hazard ? What’s that ?) used to be a bit uneasy and done very quickly I can tell you. 
  • edited October 2020
    I saw the number 11:11 on my microwave clock in the early hours of the morning on two occasions within days of my wife's passing in 93.  I couldn't settle in the small hours in those early days, I was sober, the three kids upstairs sound asleep.  

I registered the first one as the microwave being faulty, and the second one as a bit odd, especially as the correct time  returned on each occasion with no intervention from me. The incidents stayed with me, but very firmly in the back of my mind, there was of course many more important things to deal with than an intermittent fault on a micro wave oven. 

I was reminded of these episodes some years later by Uri Geller on late night radio when he spoke about the 11:11 phenomenon.  I was blissfully unaware that such a phenomenon even existed.  I must admit I emailed my experiences to Uri and received a nice personal email back from him.  TBF his email was somewhat spoiled by the inclusion of an advert for his books, videos and CDs - none of which were at mates rates  :|

For what it's worth as an engineer, I don't believe for one minute that the time on my microwave actually changed, but I know for certain what my minds eye saw.  Googling 11 11 certainly returns some interesting views. 

Some numerologists and New Age philosophies believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than can be explained by chance or coincidence and is an example of synchronicity. Some authors claim that seeing 11:11 on a clock is an auspicious sign. Others claim that 11:11 signals a spirit presence. 

I'm not normally swayed by this stuff, but I do keep an open mind, maybe just wishful thinking.  I can't believe the times that I glance at a clock when it actually is 11:11 it never fails to jar me. 

Uri Geller FFS.

If you want to know if anything is utter bollocks, it being spouted by Uri Geller is a great indicator.
  • edited October 2020
    I wonder if Derek Achorah has bumped into Sam yet?
  • Remember my mum reckoning she'd heard a ghostly sound. 

We were on holiday at an old cottage in the centre of the village at Robin Hoods Bay around 1980. The cottage we stayed in 'Roseworth' had a set of steps down the side probably 50-60 steps as there are walking streets around the village built on a hillside. Mum said she was woken up in the night to hear the clambering of heavy boots running down the steps, not one pair but many as though lots of people were running down. The bottom of the steps was under the bedroom window, so she went to the window and looked down. The area was lit by an old Victorian streetlight, but clearly viewable. The sound of boots continued as though reaching the bottom, the running across the courtyard, more and more continued until the noise stopped. Nothing was seen throughout the experience. 
  • PopIcon said:
    I once had a ghost poo, it was 100% real, well I think it was.
    I believe it, especially as your name is an anagram of Plop Con.
  • Sponsored links:

• I worked nights on the tube many years ago, Bethnal Green was a challenge knowing this story 

https://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/bethnal-green-underground-tube-station-london
  • I saw the number 11:11 on my microwave clock in the early hours of the morning on two occasions within days of my wife's passing in 93.  I couldn't settle in the small hours in those early days, I was sober, the three kids upstairs sound asleep.  

I registered the first one as the microwave being faulty, and the second one as a bit odd, especially as the correct time  returned on each occasion with no intervention from me. The incidents stayed with me, but very firmly in the back of my mind, there was of course many more important things to deal with than an intermittent fault on a micro wave oven. 

I was reminded of these episodes some years later by Uri Geller on late night radio when he spoke about the 11:11 phenomenon.  I was blissfully unaware that such a phenomenon even existed.  I must admit I emailed my experiences to Uri and received a nice personal email back from him.  TBF his email was somewhat spoiled by the inclusion of an advert for his books, videos and CDs - none of which were at mates rates  :|

For what it's worth as an engineer, I don't believe for one minute that the time on my microwave actually changed, but I know for certain what my minds eye saw.  Googling 11 11 certainly returns some interesting views. 

Some numerologists and New Age philosophies believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than can be explained by chance or coincidence and is an example of synchronicity. Some authors claim that seeing 11:11 on a clock is an auspicious sign. Others claim that 11:11 signals a spirit presence. 

I'm not normally swayed by this stuff, but I do keep an open mind, maybe just wishful thinking.  I can't believe the times that I glance at a clock when it actually is 11:11 it never fails to jar me. 

Uri Geller FFS.

If you want to know if anything is utter bollocks, it being spouted by Uri Geller is a great indicator.
    Remember - however crazy some of this stuff sounds to you, they are important/comforting experiences for those involved. 
  • There was an interesting lecture relating to time travel by Brian Cox on tv a few years back. It was a bit mind blowing and whilst he made it as easy to follow as possible, it still wasn't easy.

Basically, whenever you move through space, by walking, running, driving, etc. relative to people who are say standing still, you are traveling just a bit slower through time than them. This effect has been proven by atomic clocks placed in airplanes and orbiting satellites.

According to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, time moves faster in the absence of a gravitational field. The higher up you are, the further you are from Earth’s mass and pull, which means slightly less gravity and a slightly faster clock.

I can't remember too much else, but the jist was that theoretically it is possible to travel forward in time. In the way they did in The Planet of the Apes. It is less clear whether you can travel back in time. Again it is theoretically possible but the energy required may render it highly unlikely. Mind you travelling forward meaningfully is unlikely too, but more feasible.

When we look at a star in the sky, we are of course looking at something from the past. The further away a star is for example the more we are looking back in time. You can even look so far back that you can see the start of the Universe with the right equipment. Some of the stars we can see may no longer exist, but we can see them!   

Always freaks me out that one, even though I know it's true.
    Yes, it's true mate, but it's nothing more complex than the speed of light, that's all, and it highlights the mind blowing vastness of the universe.

Even the light from our own sun takes just over 8 minutes to reach the Earth (with the speed of light travelling at 186,000 miles per second). Outside of that, the closest star to us (Proxima Centauri) is 4.2 light years away (186,000 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365 = 1 light year, just under 6 trillion miles).

So, when you look at the night sky, the very closest light from a star to reach us is over 4 years old (the distance of 1 light year takes 1 year to reach the Earth)! But a lot of the star light you can see has taken thousands/millions of years to reach us, hence looking at the past.
    Bloody nuts! 
    It's even stranger if you start thinking about the disparity in the time that light took to reach you. What you're actually seeing isn't a whole picture of what happened at some point in the past but a montage of different elements as they were at different times. Of course the same thing happens on a micro-scale. Things that you see that are further away are actually older, albeit by the most minute fractions of seconds. That's one of the reasons tat VAR is such shit ;) 
  • Scoham said:
    Watched this years ago and I’m sure I’ve posted it before but an interesting watch about ghosts on London Underground. https://youtu.be/3Bf_bxfE5gw
    This was hilarious, great watch. I liked the bit where the Asian guy said he saw a ghost and told his colleague.
    His colleague replied “Oh the one with long blonde hair? Yeah I’ve seen her too.”

Like something Karl Pilkington would come out with.
  • I do not believe in ghosts, but would not even consider calling someone a liar if they told me they had seen one. My only problem is, with all the millions of people who have died on this world, why are only some places haunted, and only the occasional ghost appears? I am an atheist as well, so do not believe in heaven and hell, so how can I believe in a malevolent ghost? Although I have put it as a question, I do not need answers and probably would not believe them anyway
  • Years ago I was working in what was meant to be a secure, locked IT room of about 20 feet by 15 feet in an old City building but, being the 70s, we regularly left the door open anyway. One day I was working on something which meant me having to kneel down to get access when somebody tapped me on the shoulder. I said ‘hang on, I just need to do this bit’, quickly fixed the bit I was working on and turned around probably 10 to 15 seconds later to an empty room other than for me and the heavy door closed and locked. I later found out that somebody had died in the room years earlier. Didn’t spook me or stop me working in there afterwards but with the power blackouts because of miners strikes etc if I was working late and we were plunged into darkness at 9pm, walking up to the top floors with just a candle or lantern if I had to get something (how did we get away with that ? Health & safety? Fire hazard ? What’s that ?) used to be a bit uneasy and done very quickly I can tell you. 
    Had the tap on the shoulder experience as well. It was a number of years ago and I'm not sure now if anyone else was at home as well at the time but I was definitely in a room on my own. Never happened again and it wasn't at a time of any significant event (someone dying etc) so can't even link it to that.
    Maybe it was just a muscle twitch but did feel like someone was touching my shoulder. 

• I don't believe in ghost in any way shape or form,HOWEVER, my office is a former Police station in Belvedere. When i started working there, i was told a  story that the place was haunted. The spectre was suppose to be a former PS who had been stationed there for some time.

My shift pattern sometimes require me to pick up official vehicles very early or very late, mostly on my own. it means i have to move through the building and out buildings of late Victorian build with all its creaks and groans.  But on more than one occasion i have definitely felt unsettled , not seen anything just felt a presence.

Just a chance remark that sits at subconscious level and  surfaces when  you are in the situation some one has previously suggested.
  • edited October 2020
    I have heard a few ghost stories that started with the words, " I was on my  way home from the pub....."
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    I saw the number 11:11 on my microwave clock in the early hours of the morning on two occasions within days of my wife's passing in 93.  I couldn't settle in the small hours in those early days, I was sober, the three kids upstairs sound asleep.  

Uri Geller FFS.

Remember - however crazy some of this stuff sounds to you, they are important/comforting experiences for those involved. 
    How is some bloke bending a bit of metal and pretending he did it with his mind comforting to anyone?
  • edited October 2020
    I worked on an IT contract for Prudential Registrars in 1992.  It was in the beautiful red building near Holborn.  I was always one of the last to leave and my last job about 10.30 in the evening was to treck down into the basement server room to load up some tapes and then bugger off home.  The route took me into and down the famous "haunted" tiled staircase and along a myriad of basement corridors. These were lined with pictues of past employees, the firm football, rugby, cricket teams dating back to the Victorian and Edwardian era, the eyes of hundreds of long dead souls following me in the low light.  I am not a believer in ghosts but i could not wait to get out of the place.

My point is, the mind plays a lot of tricks on you, my imagination ran riot, all those young faces full of hope and promise, now dust long in the ground.

The ghosts are in your mind.
  • Has anyone been to a medium.

i went after my mum died. I recorded it and found and listened to the tape about a year ago. Half was complete b******s, but half turned out to be accurate.

i bought a new car just after she died. The medium mentioned the car in detail, she could have looked out of the window but from memory I went in the evening during winter and parked around the corner. 

I’m still very 50/50 on this but do find some of the other stories fascinating 
    Hate them with a passion.

Professional con artists preying on the vulnerable, grieving and gullible.
    So there is possibly still a future for mouthall etc
  • PopIcon said:
    I once had a ghost poo, it was 100% real, well I think it was.
    @PopIcon !
  • I did stay for night at the White Hart Hotel in St Albans as part of an office team build some years ago. It is supposed to be the most haunted hotel in Britain, but I got a good nights sleep and nobody else had any ghostly stories to tell so we probably went on the ghosts' night off.
  • se9addick said:

Uri Geller FFS.

Even more comforting if you buy his book, stocked at all good bookshops for £19.99......
  • I saw Diego Poyet the second time round
  • The question is, if there is indeed something strange in your neighbourhood, who ya gonna call?
  • Considering this day and age with the amount of video footage being taken by various devices, which lead to people catching the most random events on camera - if ghosts existed, we would have inconclusive proof by now.

That being said, it is still always interesting to me to listen to people's experiences. 
    Assuming that they were picked up on the recording.  It is proof one way or the other and I have not watched enough  film on the subject to make an objective decision. 
    Surely you don't need to make an objective decision. IMO the default position is to not believe something unless there is sufficient evidence to do so.

If someone were to capture a verified sighting of a ghost (or anything supernatural) on film, it would no doubt go viral and we would all be aware of it.

With over 4 billion people carrying a camera around with them, the lack of sufficient evidence for the supernatural is telling.