Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris is Gunter sign for us! (Signed 08/10/2020 - 2 year deal + 1 year option)

Comments

• Options
    Spoke to a couple of Reading work mates as I was going home this morning. They brought the subject of him up...one said he is better playing wing back the other said he didn't, one said he was sorry to see him go, the other said he wasntt....only time will tell I guess.

Opinions from football watchers are always different:

I said the night Simon Francis had a mare and got dogs abuse (he was hooked at HT to save him from more punishment, on and off the pitch) that he would play at a higher level than CAFC as a wing back.

Fosu feel out of favour with Lee, when Aribo outshone him with the magic feet, yet I was convinced he would get back into the Championship if he could just get his confidence back.

Chris Gunter has been a steady player all his career, I would expect a 7 out of 10 most weeks, But the players around him will affect that mark if they are struggling.
    It's funny cos I feel Oshilaja is a weak link (typically 3/10 every week IMHO) in our side and yet most others seem to rate him. I actually believe that his mistakes in the final run in cost us points that led to our demise. Opinions, opinions!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Spoke to a couple of Reading work mates as I was going home this morning. They brought the subject of him up...one said he is better playing wing back the other said he didn't, one said he was sorry to see him go, the other said he wasntt....only time will tell I guess.

Opinions from football watchers are always different:

I said the night Simon Francis had a mare and got dogs abuse (he was hooked at HT to save him from more punishment, on and off the pitch) that he would play at a higher level than CAFC as a wing back.

Fosu feel out of favour with Lee, when Aribo outshone him with the magic feet, yet I was convinced he would get back into the Championship if he could just get his confidence back.

Chris Gunter has been a steady player all his career, I would expect a 7 out of 10 most weeks, But the players around him will affect that mark if they are struggling.
    It's funny cos I feel Oshilaja is a weak link (typically 3/10 every week IMHO) in our side and yet most others seem to rate him. I actually believe that his mistakes in the final run in cost us points that led to our demise. Opinions, opinions!
    I think Oshilaja is too impetuous, he tends to dive in to challenges too much. An ok squad player, but not good enough for the Championship
  • Options
    No surprise that Chris gets his 100th in one of the 3 games, and starts in the friendly game

I'd be surprised if he got many more caps, other than as an emergency sub
  • Options
    No surprise that Chris gets his 100th in one of the 3 games, and starts in the friendly game

I'd be surprised if he got many more caps, other than as an emergency sub
    An emergency sub is the only time I want to see him in a Charlton shirt tbh.
  • Options
    Good for him, but surely he's only in that team on sentimental value now - his form for us does not justify international call-ups at all.
  • Options
    An article on the BBC website on him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56525244

• Options
    He was good at the beginning of the season. Then I guess so we the team. II saw a fair bit of praise for him on here back then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good for him but Matthews is so much better. Any update on his injury? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Got through an hour yesterday so taking that as confirmation that he's injury free again
  • Options
    Ha, I've just "got" the title, it only took 5 months.
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Talal said:
    Got through an hour yesterday so taking that as confirmation that he's injury free again
    Ah thanks didn't register his name in the lineup for some reason. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    He was good at the beginning of the season. Then I guess so we the team. II saw a fair bit of praise for him on here back then.
    I’ll be honest, he failed to impress me to begin with has got worse as the season has worn on.

I’m in the “Matthews is better camp”, but he’s had some poor moments too, but seems to do best with a run in the team - I thought he started slowly with us last season but as he got fully match sharp he became one our best players. I hope he can get a good run in and find his form again beef or the end of this season as I think he is potentially plenty good enough for a League 1 promotion campaign and the more players we can keep for next season, reducing the scale of the squad upheaval, the better. 
  • Options
    Thought he was excellent at the start of the season, been a bit of a mixed bag since.
    So has Matthews though... Both great at this level. 
  • Options
    Ha, I've just "got" the title, it only took 5 months.
    Brilliant.
    Got it? I never noticed it all this time!
  • Options
    SexyDave said:
    Thought he was excellent at the start of the season, been a bit of a mixed bag since.
    For me, Matthews gets better when he has a run in the team, he had a slow start when he first joined us. Gunter seems to get worse when he has a run in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    SexyDave said:
    Not sure about "great" but certainly more than capable and deserves more respect IMO. He's at a new club, has been played out of position so much, in an unsettled side which has generally been poorly set up, with different players ahead and around him virtually every game - hardly surprising that he hasn't shone as much as his obvious Championship/international pedigree might have indicated. A better manager, better teammates and a settled period is what he's needed - and I think he'll do very well for us now that is starting to happen.
    Agree with this completely. Adkins alluded to it when he mentioned in an interview that Gunter hasn't had a proper right winger in front of him all season. Not to mention the games he's obviously had to play as a makeshift centre back.

You don't play 100 times for a half decent nation if you're not a solid player.
  • Options
    It's a good observation by Atkins and will not be unlinked to all these 'unstoppable worldies' scored by us, with full backs having little protection. 

Smyth at RWB is still my fav from this season. 

• Options
    First player to win 100 caps for Wales, well done Chris!
  • Options
    Well done Chris. Surprised he’s only 31.
  • Options
    It’s a strange feeling as a fan with this one.

Having a player on our books to win a 100th international cap should be something we’re raving about as a fan base, but considering how surprisingly poor he has been since he joined - I find it quite hard to identify with it as a “Charlton” story. If that makes any sense?
  • Options
    I thought he was the nuts on occasions and proper shit on others , as perfect match for Charlton .
    Hopefully can get some more consistency for us and I think he’ll be an asset for us in our promotion push next season 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    It’s a strange feeling as a fan with this one.

Having a player on our books to win a 100th international cap should be something we’re raving about as a fan base, but considering how surprisingly poor he has been since he joined - I find it quite hard to identify with it as a “Charlton” story. If that makes any sense?
    It makes perfect sense.  He started well. But has been poor for a while - kind of in line with the rest of the squad. Let’s see what Adkins can get out of him. I honestly think Bowyer sucked the life blood out of players. 
  • Options
    I rate him and believe we will be happy he is with us by the end of the season