Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris is Gunter sign for us! (Signed 08/10/2020 - 2 year deal + 1 year option)

Comments

• Options
    Or smaller wage but longer contract.
    aaaaah so offer a decent player a 50 year contract at £2k per week .....wallop the same as a 4 year contract on £25k per week
    Fine if they don't retire from football till they are an official OAP ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Do I remember that Darren Pratley signed initially for us, because we offered him a 2 year contract on a smaller wage rather than a 1 year contract on a bigger wage elsewhere?

Something he said about job security for the extra year being important to him at his age.
     Wasn't that also a reason Pearce extended with us instead of going to Portsmouth?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Do I remember that Darren Pratley signed initially for us, because we offered him a 2 year contract on a smaller wage rather than a 1 year contract on a bigger wage elsewhere?

Something he said about job security for the extra year being important to him at his age.
     Wasn't that also a reason Pearce extended with us instead of going to Portsmouth?
    Maybe, Dazzler. I can recall Portsmouth making an enquiry for him and we extended his contract to keep him here.
    But can't remember the detail.

It's often the case though that players in their 30s would rather have the job security of a longer contract on smaller wage, rather than only one year on higher wages.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Maybe, Dazzler. I can recall Portsmouth making an enquiry for him and we extended his contract to keep him here.
    But can't remember the detail.

It's often the case though that players in their 30s would rather have the job security of a longer contract on smaller wage, rather than only one year on higher wages.

The personal and family upheaval of constantly moving must be unpleasant too, especially when you have children. You either have to move your family around the country or you have to live from a suitcase away from them, which is additional expense also
    And once you've been in the game a while as long as you were fairly sensible you've probably got enough set by that you don't NEED a massive wave any more, at least not badly enough to make it worth the hassle of moving.
  • Options
    aaaaah so offer a decent player a 50 year contract at £2k per week .....wallop the same as a 4 year contract on £25k per week
    If there is pay it up in full when terminated early clause.

Otherwise it's a nice little pension
  • Options
    So, non Valley Pass members can go hang can they :/
  • Options
    I thought he was wearing a Holland or Blackpool shirt for a moment, as that clip makes it look quite orange!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, the club is a business and Valley Pass is part of their revenue generating, like selling match tickets.

The bad news: you can't watch it if you don't pay.
    The good news - there's usually an article on the OS, with quotes from the interview, after a couple of days.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Very good interview.

Says the right things.
  • Options
    The bit about the accident with the ballerina and the leek was a revelation...

The leek is because he's Welsh?

And the ballerina is Jonny Williams?

Ah, makes sense, I suppose.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Well, the club is a business and Valley Pass is part of their revenue generating, like selling match tickets.

The good news - there's usually an article on the OS, with quotes from the interview, after a couple of days.

Told me didn't it, course i understand the business angle, but it is only
    a video introducing a new player, thought it may have been of interest
    to every fan, whereas, selecting a game to watch on pass is a personal
    choice, and part of a subscription.
    Anyway, thanks for the info and maybe i need to sign up ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Only if you want to see the interview with Chris Gunter.

Personally, I'm not quite that desperate - and be happy to wait a short while until I can read the OS article. 
    But then, that's just me. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Only if you want to see the interview with Chris Gunter.

Personally, I'm not quite that desperate - and be happy to wait a short while until I can read the OS article. 
    But then, that's just me. :smile:

And me! cheers ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Welcome, Chris !

Charlton Athletic.

The new Wales !
    And the player in the Women's team we've shirt sponsored is....yep, Welsh.

Welsh Rarebit for tea, daffodils planted, feeling a song coming on.... it's catching  :)
    And ....... chapel on Sundays. Contented sheep on the hills. Morgan Morgan playing the organ.

Cymru am byth!
    I guess yuo pick up the lingo when you live in West Wales.
    Proper job! You know your Cornish history.

Or I like staring at and remembering old maps!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I understand where you are coming from. I am a subscriber, but am not sure what I get for my money. Most interviews are reproduced in other forms or the links are on here.
    I did hope that under 18 and under 23 games would be live - or at least viewable. 
    I really am reconsidering if I should continue but want to support the club going forward. They have to increase the value of being a member - but it will be at the expense of those supporters who cannot or choose not to pay. 
    That said, new signings interviews should be shared to all as this is fundamental to us all.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Welcome, Chris !

Charlton Athletic.

The new Wales !
    And the player in the Women's team we've shirt sponsored is....yep, Welsh.

Welsh Rarebit for tea, daffodils planted, feeling a song coming on.... it's catching  :)
    And ....... chapel on Sundays. Contented sheep on the hills. Morgan Morgan playing the organ.

Cymru am byth!
    I guess yuo pick up the lingo when you live in West Wales.
    Proper job! You know your Cornish history.

Or I like staring at and remembering old maps!

Me too! :smile:

Further, I've read that the name Cornwall is thought to be derived from the Latin for 'horn' (corne .... like unicorn) because of the land shape of the Cornish peninsula.

And..........  the 'wall' from wal/gal (like Wales/Pays de Galles/Walloon/Portugal/Gaelic/Gaule/Galicia/ Galatasary/Galatia, etc), meaning Celt or places where Celts settled. Probably of latin origin at the time of the Roman Empire.

The Saxon word for a Celt was Wealas ...... from which we get Welsh; and came anglicised surnames like Wallace or Wallis.

In Kernewek, the Cornish language, Kernow is the name for Cornwall; 'Kern' means horn, the 'ow' suffix merely a plural:.

I hope Chris Gunter reads this. :smile:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:

I understand where you are coming from. I am a subscriber, but am not sure what I get for my money.
    Most interviews are reproduced in other forms or the links are on here.

I did hope that under 18 and under 23 games would be live - or at least viewable. 

I really am reconsidering if I should continue but want to support the club going forward. They have to increase the value of being a member - but it will be at the expense of those supporters who cannot or choose not to pay. 

That said, new signings interviews should be shared to all as this is fundamental to us all.

In fact, the OS always does a write up sooner or later.

But the paying Valley Pass members get the 'Scoop' and the choice video interview  .... first dibs, because they pay.

• Options
    Interesting couple of minutes here from Gunter on his move to Charlton:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08tvfw4

From 24 minutes on. 

Bowyer and Gallen thé key again. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I know there’s the Johnnie Williams link, but also wonder how much influence was from the new sporting director or whatever he’s called, if we start signing a lot of reading old boys I guess we’ll know.

I wonder if Chris is looking to get himself into coaching once his player days are done a la Johnnie Jackson.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:

I understand where you are coming from. I am a subscriber, but am not sure what I get for my money. Most interviews are reproduced in other forms or the links are on here.

Cheers Redrobo, I wasn't trying to start a rebellion against Pass
    as i believe that it serves a purpose and shows matches etc particularly
    good at the moment when none of us can get to matches.
    My only gripe was that things involving interviews, and other points
    of particular interest of a non personal selection basis may have been
    available to all, that's about it
    However, it is what it is at the mo, so we must wait for the narrative
    on the OS, and leave it at that
    All the best to all lifers ;)
  • Options
    Good signing 
  • Options
    Spoke to a couple of Reading work mates as I was going home this morning. They brought the subject of him up...one said he is better playing wing back the other said he didn't, one said he was sorry to see him go, the other said he wasntt....only time will tell I guess.
  • Options
    The bit about the accident with the ballerina and the leek was a revelation...

Apologies to non-subscribers.
    I don’t think it was an accident- most definitely pre-mediated.