Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris is Gunter sign for us! (Signed 08/10/2020 - 2 year deal + 1 year option)

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    Welcome, Chris !

Charlton Athletic.

The new Wales !
    And the player in the Women's team we've shirt sponsored is....yep, Welsh.

Welsh Rarebit for tea, daffodils planted, feeling a song coming on.... it's catching  :)
    And ....... chapel on Sundays. Contented sheep on the hills. Morgan Morgan playing the organ.

Cymru am byth!
  • Options
    Really pleased with this . 

He has nearly as many caps as our two most decorated Welsh International defenders Mark Bowen (41) and Leighton Phillips (58) combined . It would be great if he reached 100 caps as an Addick .

I probably would have preferred Adam Matthews as he played for us last season and was training with us but as others have said Chris Gunter has consistently kept Adam out of the Welsh team under different managers so he is probably the better player .

Like with Ben Watson I would have been happy with this addition in the Championship and in L1 it is brilliant signing  .
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He’s played something like 500 matches in the last 10 years, all at a higher level than we currently are playing at. Seems like a very good signing and will bring experience that a relatively young squad needs. Happy with this one.

Now let’s get some more.
    Agreed. Its hard not to be pleased about this signing.
  • Options
    Starts on the bench in tonight's friendly but Williams starts.
  • Options
    Excellent signing, reliable and plays plenty of games. Certain to be out with a long term injury within weeks.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Welcome, Chris !

Charlton Athletic.

The new Wales !

Welsh Rarebit for tea, daffodils planted, feeling a song coming on.... it's catching  :)
    And ....... chapel on Sundays. Contented sheep on the hills. Morgan Morgan playing the organ.

Cymru am byth!
    I guess yuo pick up the lingo when you live in West Wales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just come on for Wales. 97th cap. Quality. 
  • Options
    Gunter is on! Cue the injury.
  • Options
    Plays like a seasoned right back. So far, so good.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Welcome, Chris !

Charlton Athletic.

The new Wales !

Cymru am byth!
    I guess yuo pick up the lingo when you live in West Wales.
    Proper job! You know your Cornish history.

• Options
    Finally we have found a spare shirt for our owner , come on seriously get him out of the old one 
  • Options
    Strange oversight seeing TS in last season's shirt. Maybe that's why we hired a technical director to get these little details correct?!
  • Options
    Not an oversight. He bought last season's shirt with the promise to wear it on completion. That's what he did. I have no doubt he'll get this seasons too.
  • Options
    He should really be wearing the time-honoured classic.  Andrews air conditioning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good memory @Dazzler21, I had forgotten that!
  • Options

“We tried really hard to get him last season because he wasn’t really in Reading’s plans,” said Bowyer. “But we just couldn’t afford him. “Now that’s changed. It’s a good signing."

That's likely because a fee would have been asked. Bow's saying how hard it is with the wage cap, but referencing us being able to afford somebody that we previously could not. 

• Options
    N01R4M said:
      Hopefully @Jessie will be along soon to tell us more about this!  :)
    MattF said:
    Oggy Red said:
    😂 I didn't know we had such big fans of a  lesser known player here in China. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

“We tried really hard to get him last season because he wasn’t really in Reading’s plans,” said Bowyer. “But we just couldn’t afford him. “Now that’s changed. It’s a good signing."

That's likely because a fee would have been asked. Bow's saying how hard it is with the wage cap, but referencing us being able to afford somebody that we previously could not. 

Maybe Gunter's wage demands have come down too...
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Maybe Gunter's wage demands have come down too...
    No doubt the fine detail is in the contract.

Remember, we have to be creative. :smile:
    My thinking is: a smaller salary this year to conform to wage cap; promotion bonus incentive, decent increase in Championship wages if promoted.

Something like that. I could be wrong, of course. It wouldn't be the first time!

• Options
    Or smaller wage but longer contract.
  • Options
    The Athletic did an interesting article a few weeks back where they said that money isn't the sole consideration   

It was felt geography and ambition were equally important to most players. 
  • Options
    Can't someone rewrite the title of this thread?

This isn't a Millwall forum.
  • Options
    Or smaller wage but longer contract.
    Do I remember that Darren Pratley signed initially for us, because we offered him a 2 year contract on a smaller wage rather than a 1 year contract on a bigger wage elsewhere?

Something he said about job security for the extra year being important to him at his age.