Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland | Saturday 3rd October | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Brum miss by Bonne will be imprinted in my memory forever. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Some peoples sheets must have been soaked this morning.

Post match analysis, Sandgaard is the man to take this club forward. Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen will be the men who take the club forward, but without being disrespectful, most of our players won't. We really lack in qualify, even at league 1 level.

I reckon we will need two seasons to get out of this league, unless we have an incredible window from here on out. 

We should be patient though, look where we were a few weeks ago, I'm happy for a mediocre season in league 1 knowing my club is in safe hands for the next, for now.
    But this is bollocks though. 

GKs. Amos: arguably Championship-level. Phillips: certainly so

Defenders. Famewo looks great at this level. Pratley is more than handy. Pearce is good at this level too. You'd call all three upper League One at worst. We need full-backs and we'll get them. 

Midfield. Lack quality eh? We have two current Wales internationals, known for their passing and dribbling respectively. We have Forest's captain and lynchpin from last season. We have a player who has torn this league a new arsehole for five seasons running. We have MK Dons' best player. We have a clutch of extremely promising youngsters, led by Vennings and Morgan, both of whom have evident quality in spades, and we have a player Celtic really want. 

Attack. Okay we lack a bit of quality and fitness. Until next week. Then we'll have two quality strikers PLUS Aneke and Washington, who themselves have plenty of League One quality. 

The notion that by our next game we lack quality in any area of the field will be absolutely laughable. 

Our only real problems against Sunderland were that our midfield had little to aim for up front and that our full-backs weren't able to support attacking possession well. Of course, this meant a succession of failed Hollywood passes, but they were all moonshots. When our attack grooves we'll not be letting in many AND we'll be scoring loads. 

You should be a salesman if you aren't already, you genuinely nearly convinced me we have a good team there.

Amos, definitely not championship level, Phillips doesn't want to be here.

Famewo early doors but a prospect no doubt, but not ours, so no stability there. Pratley is a tryer but not a centre back and although a work horse in midfield slows us down, bench player at best. Pearce is a good no nonsense defender and good enough for a promotion campaign but then what? I know he had a few good games last season but he isn't good enough for the step up and he is getting on plus he's injured. Purrington, average league 1 defender, don't have a right back, our link sounds like another stop gap. Oshilaja although I like him is a mid table league 1 defender at best.

Just because someone is an international it doesn't make them good? Wales have loads of pony players and quite frankly are a bit pony. I like Williams but he's an accident waiting to happen and isn't up for a full season, Levitt again is a prospect but not a player we can build on. Watson although a cracking signing again doesn't allow for stability. MK Dons player of the season, MK Don's finished 19th last season, now I know that doesn't mean Gilbey is a bad player because he seems decent to me but it's not like we have poached a promotion rivals player. Our youngsters are good but we shouldn't be relying on them and I don't think they're good enough to get us up personally. I am also not really concerned by who Celtic want, that's not the mark of a good player (I highly rate Doughty though)

Strikers? Why will we have two quality strikers, where from, they don't just grow on trees, it's not fifa. I will be amazed if we have two strikers of let's say even Bonnes quality by the end of this window. Washington is not good let's have it right, one good season ever in this league about 5 years ago, poor scoring record since then. Chuks is a unit but not the type to score 20 and rather a speciality player, he will never be what Lyle was for us for instance.

I appreciate your optimism but I just don't see it. I look at this team (excluding Phillips) and I see one player who I think is ready to start week in, week out and can make the step up and it's Doughty, maybe Maddison if he can get his act together.

We need one season of mediocrity imo and a very decent summer rebuild and go again, which I will take all day as long as we sign the quality for next season.
    There's a lot of talk about 'making the step up' in this post. The step up to what? We're in League One. This is not going to be a season of mediocrity with the players we have and are going to have. 
    Well generally speaking here, players who aren't ready to make the step up don't usually get promoted. It's ok if you have a handful in the squad and they drag you up and then you invest like Aribo, Taylor, Bauer, Cullen etc. Where are there like for likes this season?

I ask again what players are we going to have? Anyone we have been linked with doesn't scream promotion other than maybe Schwartz. We can't offer crazy wages to lure players because of the wage structure in place. As things stand we don't have a team good enough to get promoted.

I am struggling to see how this is going to be anything other than a limbo season which is perfectly fine by me as I know with the right recruitment process with our management we can walk this league, use that momentum in the championship and upgrade on our bit part players. If we went up this season we would have to replace our whole team or it would go straight back down, what would be the point in that? 
    Um...

"players who aren't ready to make the step up don't usually get promoted" - seen Fulham this season? Teams get promoted and then tend to either strengthen or fail. Sheffield United last season was an exception that proves the rule

That said, we have plenty of players who have been good at Championship level recently (Watson, Doughty) or have the clear potential to be so (Maddison, Famewo etc). Plus, we're in League One

Who are the like-for-likes of Aribo, Taylor, Bauer and Cullen? Aribo has Maddison and Doughty. Taylor has the bloke we're signing next week. As does Bauer. And for Cullen...are Watson and Levitt really so far behind him? I would argue not. Don't forget that we used to still lose the midfield battle all the time even with Cullen in our side, no matter how well he played. 

I've said what players we're going to have - easily the equal of any other L1 squad, who have, likewise, the SAME wage structure imposed.

If we went up we would have to strengthen, yes. But how about dealing with this season first?
    I probably should have made it clear that I meant in league 1 and 2, the gulf between championship promotion and league 1 is ridiculous.

My point still stands and I don't believe any of those players I've said are even close to being replaced.

It's just my opinion, we aren't ready and won't be until next season. Unless we sign around 5-8 players of good quality before the next league game 
  • Options
    Which is the plan! Wait and see...
  • Options
    I think the team is going to be weaker than the one from 2 years ago but squad wise I think we will have more depth this time round. That is of course dependant on the signings and players such as Purrington, JFC, Williams and Oztumer playing like they have done previously. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    And the Millwall one and the Wigan one.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    ct_addick said:
    Never mind the goals he scored to keep us in contention. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    ct_addick said:
    We need to move on.
    I think it's hard to understate the hand LB has been dealt since becoming Manager.
    ALWAYS  dealing with one hand behind his back and with a pile of Shisters
    Give the guy a chance -even now he's deaing with a wage cap.
    Keep the Faith
    Live Live Laugh and Be Happy
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cfgs said:
    ct_addick said:
    True. But he seemed to miss the ones you expected him to take.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    cfgs said:
    ct_addick said:
    In most teams that's what strikers do. (score goals that is)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Some peoples sheets must have been soaked this morning.

Post match analysis, Sandgaard is the man to take this club forward. Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen will be the men who take the club forward, but without being disrespectful, most of our players won't. We really lack in qualify, even at league 1 level.

I reckon we will need two seasons to get out of this league, unless we have an incredible window from here on out. 

We should be patient though, look where we were a few weeks ago, I'm happy for a mediocre season in league 1 knowing my club is in safe hands for the next, for now.
    But this is bollocks though. 

GKs. Amos: arguably Championship-level. Phillips: certainly so

Defenders. Famewo looks great at this level. Pratley is more than handy. Pearce is good at this level too. You'd call all three upper League One at worst. We need full-backs and we'll get them. 

Midfield. Lack quality eh? We have two current Wales internationals, known for their passing and dribbling respectively. We have Forest's captain and lynchpin from last season. We have a player who has torn this league a new arsehole for five seasons running. We have MK Dons' best player. We have a clutch of extremely promising youngsters, led by Vennings and Morgan, both of whom have evident quality in spades, and we have a player Celtic really want. 

Attack. Okay we lack a bit of quality and fitness. Until next week. Then we'll have two quality strikers PLUS Aneke and Washington, who themselves have plenty of League One quality. 

The notion that by our next game we lack quality in any area of the field will be absolutely laughable. 

Our only real problems against Sunderland were that our midfield had little to aim for up front and that our full-backs weren't able to support attacking possession well. Of course, this meant a succession of failed Hollywood passes, but they were all moonshots. When our attack grooves we'll not be letting in many AND we'll be scoring loads. 

You should be a salesman if you aren't already, you genuinely nearly convinced me we have a good team there.

Amos, definitely not championship level, Phillips doesn't want to be here.

Famewo early doors but a prospect no doubt, but not ours, so no stability there. Pratley is a tryer but not a centre back and although a work horse in midfield slows us down, bench player at best. Pearce is a good no nonsense defender and good enough for a promotion campaign but then what? I know he had a few good games last season but he isn't good enough for the step up and he is getting on plus he's injured. Purrington, average league 1 defender, don't have a right back, our link sounds like another stop gap. Oshilaja although I like him is a mid table league 1 defender at best.

Just because someone is an international it doesn't make them good? Wales have loads of pony players and quite frankly are a bit pony. I like Williams but he's an accident waiting to happen and isn't up for a full season, Levitt again is a prospect but not a player we can build on. Watson although a cracking signing again doesn't allow for stability. MK Dons player of the season, MK Don's finished 19th last season, now I know that doesn't mean Gilbey is a bad player because he seems decent to me but it's not like we have poached a promotion rivals player. Our youngsters are good but we shouldn't be relying on them and I don't think they're good enough to get us up personally. I am also not really concerned by who Celtic want, that's not the mark of a good player (I highly rate Doughty though)

Strikers? Why will we have two quality strikers, where from, they don't just grow on trees, it's not fifa. I will be amazed if we have two strikers of let's say even Bonnes quality by the end of this window. Washington is not good let's have it right, one good season ever in this league about 5 years ago, poor scoring record since then. Chuks is a unit but not the type to score 20 and rather a speciality player, he will never be what Lyle was for us for instance.

I appreciate your optimism but I just don't see it. I look at this team (excluding Phillips) and I see one player who I think is ready to start week in, week out and can make the step up and it's Doughty, maybe Maddison if he can get his act together.

We need one season of mediocrity imo and a very decent summer rebuild and go again, which I will take all day as long as we sign the quality for next season.
    That was exceptionally well said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    The millwall one for me
  • Options
    Present day football fans give my a*** a headache.

Years ago managers got x years contracts and left to get on with it.

Bowyer has shown what he can do with limited resources, hopefully Sandgaard will give him the tools to get us promoted, it may not be this season.

The club needs a total overhaul, Rome was not built in a day.
    You are aware that you have to score goals to win games. 1 in the last 3 games. No shots on target today (I've seen the Sky highlights and Doughty's "shot" was a cross that their keeper easily saved by the near post)

Yes, one of our strikers left yesterday leaving us short up front but Davison is a striker if Bows wanted to play 2 up front and the midfield ARE allowed to shoot......perhaps someone should tell them.  

Also, nothing seems to have changed regarding corners. I didnt watch the match today but Cawley's Twitter feed was a cut & paste of the last 50 games......"Corner comes to nothing" or "corner cleared". Once, just once, it would be nice to read.  "corner swung over & thumped in by Washington".

If Bows wants to keep his job he might want to think about changing his tactics.....or his set piece man !!
    Oh for f***s sake. You do get right on my nerves sometimes. On the one hand you moan about our lack of shots (which is true) and recognise that we've sold / lost our best players, and then you agree with sacking the manager if we finish outside the top six. 
    This manager has proved you wrong before and you've been to the matches and seen it with your own eyes. You have so little faith. You always have had even when it was Lennie or Curbs. You do talk a lot of sense a lot of the time , but you're endless whining about shots and statistics is boring even when true. 

I don't know why you don't go online and get a new golf partner.
    I've never said that I want Bowyer sacked.....that's ridiculous. What I have said however, is that he is not above criticism & nor is his coaching staff. We have only score 2 or 3 goals direct from free kicks over the past 2 seasons & we don't even look like scoring from one at the moment. Bow & his team spend all week with the players so is it not acceptable to ask what they train at. You mentioned golf........so if a top golf professional spent all week with his coach you'd expect in the final round he'd be able to find the fairway off the tee or hold a putt or two. As for our corners.......
  • Options
    ElfsborgAddick said:we are all

Bowyer has shown what he can do with limited resources, hopefully Sandgaard will give him the tools to get us promoted, it may not be this season.

You are aware that you have to score goals to win games. 1 in the last 3 games. No shots on target today (I've seen the Sky highlights and Doughty's "shot" was a cross that their keeper easily saved by the near post)

Yes, one of our strikers left yesterday leaving us short up front but Davison is a striker if Bows wanted to play 2 up front and the midfield ARE allowed to shoot......perhaps someone should tell them.  

Also, nothing seems to have changed regarding corners. I didnt watch the match today but Cawley's Twitter feed was a cut & paste of the last 50 games......"Corner comes to nothing" or "corner cleared". Once, just once, it would be nice to read.  "corner swung over & thumped in by Washington".

If Bows wants to keep his job he might want to think about changing his tactics.....or his set piece man !!
    Oh for f***s sake. You do get right on my nerves sometimes. On the one hand you moan about our lack of shots (which is true) and recognise that we've sold / lost our best players, and then you agree with sacking the manager if we finish outside the top six. 
    This manager has proved you wrong before and you've been to the matches and seen it with your own eyes. You have so little faith. You always have had even when it was Lennie or Curbs. You do talk a lot of sense a lot of the time , but you're endless whining about shots and statistics is boring even when true. 

I don't know why he goes.
    We are all allowed opinions you know. Just because you might not agree that doesnt mean I'm not allowed to post them.

As for going......I didn't think we were allowed to atm. As soon as we can I'll be there as I have been for the past 45 years.
  • Options

We are all allowed opinions you know. Just because you might not agree that doesnt mean I'm not allowed to post them.

As for going......I didn't think we were allowed to atm. As soon as we can I'll be there as I have been for the past 45 years.
    Football is all about opinions, I agree.

You have been moaning for 45 years? Keep taking the tablets.
  • Options

Only 45 years, Golfie?  You're just a 'Johnny come lately".  :smile:

• Options
    If anybody is inclined to criticise Bowyer, which is of course their right, perhaps they could also suggest a replacement.
  • Options
    I didnt watch and have to admit, I might be gradually detaching from football.  

I built a wildlife pond instead and it looks very nice. 
  • Options

Ha! I’ve been going for 54 years. 

Just wth some very big gaps. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is 35 year old (yes experienced and all that) Watson in the twilight of his running down career going to be any good?
    By any good I actually mean will he cause Charlton Athletic to accumulate an impressive number of points?
    Its a good question. I was thinking that when watching yesterday, is he bothered? Does he have the drive? Or just a convenient wind down job.  At this point we have to trust due to his experience and our position but a good question
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    ct_addick said:
    Just seen his finish yesterday! What a finish 🙈🙈
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2121 said:
    seth plum said:
    Is 35 year old (yes experienced and all that) Watson in the twilight of his running down career going to be any good?
    By any good I actually mean will he cause Charlton Athletic to accumulate an impressive number of points?
    Its a good question. I was thinking that when watching yesterday, is he bothered? Does he have the drive? Or just a convenient wind down job.  At this point we have to trust due to his experience and our position but a good question
    Forest haven’t got a point this season without him. 
  • Options

At least I watch the matches. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If anybody is inclined to criticise Bowyer, which is of course their right, perhaps they could also suggest a replacement.
    Oh God, not this old chestnut. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    So unless we can suggest a replacement we can’t criticise? Weird. 
  • Options
    Both of you failed to read the word 'perhaps'.
    Weird.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Williams was brought on to be an improvement on Oztumer. He was not. Very worrying 
    neither are good enough and have never done the biz for us and never will .. Williams has always flattered to deceive .. both might try hard but are simply ineffective .. hopefully there will be bids for them this window, but I doubt it VERY much 
  • Options
    My copy of the October Valley Review arrived in the post today. Slightly surprised it was in a padded envelope though, it's hardly fragile!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Everybody at The Valley owes Ben Amos a pint, he single handedly earned us a point.
    Sunderland threw away 2 points, several times, risible finishing but at least they had chances to miss.
    Ben Watson shows what's possible fitness wise when one is a professional - Marcus Maddison take note.
    Famewo looks decent at this level, an almost faultless showing.
    Pratley's experience and guile was essential as always
    Purrington at centre centrehalf looked like lunacy but his spell there was faultless, he was too easily circumvented when reverted to his supposedly more familiar left back role - but Charlton had nightmares at left back all day - there were yawning chasms between Famewo and Doughty throughout the 3 at the back experiment
    Doughty as a winger is fine, as a leftback/wingback his defending is inadequate
    Oshilaja had a very very quiet game, Sunderland offered nothing at all down their left - too busy ripping us to shreds down our left - but D O's distribution was miserable every time 
    Oztumer flattered to deceive for about 10 minutes then stank the place up and was rightly hooked - to be replaced by even less from Williams - both were dreadful
    Dylan Levitt outshone both his vastly more experienced colleagues, a few misplaced passes but that's to be expected from one so young against vastly superior opposition
    Vennings was a revelation
    Washington works really hard, especially when he's getting eff all service
    Madison's ability shone brightly in his cameo, if Ben Watson can get himself near enough fit with just 2 weeks training and an hour or so on the pitch then Madison ought to be ready for at least 45 minutes against Wigan - we only have him to blame if he ain't.
    Sunderland and Lincoln might be among the early front runners but they were both patently awful sides who created little and wasted most of it - which means Charlton are currently just dreadful - we've barely registered a shot worth the mention in 2 full games against pony opposition.
    Free kicks and corners are consistently appalling and that is wholly unforgivable - full time professional footballers who can't/can't be bothered to strike a stationery ball to precisely where it's needed 99 times out of 100 are inept or taking the piss.
    Defensively we are woefully short of numbers -  based on performances since the lockdown restart we have one fit competent defender in Famewo, an able stand in  in Darren Pratley and the next best is Pearce who's weeks from available, maybe Purrington can restart as a CH but as a fullback he's been shit for months, Oshilaja's barely conference standard at anything, after that we've a 17 year old who's excellent - for a 17 year old.
    And a word for Saturday's "referee": inexplicable.
    Happy Monday 😃
  • Options
    My copy of the October Valley Review arrived in the post today. Slightly surprised it was in a padded envelope though, it's hardly fragile!
    When did you order yours?  My order placed Tuesday and no sign as yet - VOTV in contrast, ordered Thursday evening - arrived Saturday.
  • Options