Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland | Saturday 3rd October | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The salary cap was voted for, by the club owners. The vast majority of which are running clubs with low crowds (normally) and similar TV money. The bigger clubs with more resources (crowd money & wealthy owners) were always likely to be the ones pushing for promotion. With this cap, the opportunity exists for almost any club to fight for a promotion place. It makes sense to 15-20 of the club's in the league with the other 4-9 wishing/hoping they could buy their way to promotion. 

Getting out of this league is going to harder due to Bowyer not being able to buy players that are any better than anyone else's. It is down to Bowyer to coach succes out of very average players. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:...who has torn this league a new arsehole for five seasons running...
    Five new arseholes.  I s this ESI3?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Don't thing you really understand Thomas Sandgaard.
    A mediocre season isn't on the menu; top 6 is a minimum requirement.
    Not my words but the words of TS.

That's good for TS but the reality is unless he brings in new players it isn't going to happen. The league is crap but so are our players, we need to have a makeover imo.

Doughty is a talent, Watson will be good for a season, two tops, our strikers aren't consistent, their records prove that.

This happens all the time, we go to league 1 and we act like we have some good team when we don't. We had a league 1 quality team in the league above now we've gone down and it's barely league 1 with a few exceptions.

Hopefully this all changes now with a good owner 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    Some peoples sheets must have been soaked this morning.

Post match analysis, Sandgaard is the man to take this club forward. Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen will be the men who take the club forward, but without being disrespectful, most of our players won't. We really lack in qualify, even at league 1 level.

I reckon we will need two seasons to get out of this league, unless we have an incredible window from here on out. 

We should be patient though, look where we were a few weeks ago, I'm happy for a mediocre season in league 1 knowing my club is in safe hands for the next, for now.
    But this is bollocks though. 

GKs. Amos: arguably Championship-level. Phillips: certainly so

Defenders. Famewo looks great at this level. Pratley is more than handy. Pearce is good at this level too. You'd call all three upper League One at worst. We need full-backs and we'll get them. 

Midfield. Lack quality eh? We have two current Wales internationals, known for their passing and dribbling respectively. We have Forest's captain and lynchpin from last season. We have a player who has torn this league a new arsehole for five seasons running. We have MK Dons' best player. We have a clutch of extremely promising youngsters, led by Vennings and Morgan, both of whom have evident quality in spades, and we have a player Celtic really want. 

Attack. Okay we lack a bit of quality and fitness. Until next week. Then we'll have two quality strikers PLUS Aneke and Washington, who themselves have plenty of League One quality. 

The notion that by our next game we lack quality in any area of the field will be absolutely laughable. 

Our only real problems against Sunderland were that our midfield had little to aim for up front and that our full-backs weren't able to support attacking possession well. Of course, this meant a succession of failed Hollywood passes, but they were all moonshots. When our attack grooves we'll not be letting in many AND we'll be scoring loads. 

You should be a salesman if you aren't already, you genuinely nearly convinced me we have a good team there.

Amos, definitely not championship level, Phillips doesn't want to be here.

Famewo early doors but a prospect no doubt, but not ours, so no stability there. Pratley is a tryer but not a centre back and although a work horse in midfield slows us down, bench player at best. Pearce is a good no nonsense defender and good enough for a promotion campaign but then what? I know he had a few good games last season but he isn't good enough for the step up and he is getting on plus he's injured. Purrington, average league 1 defender, don't have a right back, our link sounds like another stop gap. Oshilaja although I like him is a mid table league 1 defender at best.

Just because someone is an international it doesn't make them good? Wales have loads of pony players and quite frankly are a bit pony. I like Williams but he's an accident waiting to happen and isn't up for a full season, Levitt again is a prospect but not a player we can build on. Watson although a cracking signing again doesn't allow for stability. MK Dons player of the season, MK Don's finished 19th last season, now I know that doesn't mean Gilbey is a bad player because he seems decent to me but it's not like we have poached a promotion rivals player. Our youngsters are good but we shouldn't be relying on them and I don't think they're good enough to get us up personally. I am also not really concerned by who Celtic want, that's not the mark of a good player (I highly rate Doughty though)

Strikers? Why will we have two quality strikers, where from, they don't just grow on trees, it's not fifa. I will be amazed if we have two strikers of let's say even Bonnes quality by the end of this window. Washington is not good let's have it right, one good season ever in this league about 5 years ago, poor scoring record since then. Chuks is a unit but not the type to score 20 and rather a speciality player, he will never be what Lyle was for us for instance.

I appreciate your optimism but I just don't see it. I look at this team (excluding Phillips) and I see one player who I think is ready to start week in, week out and can make the step up and it's Doughty, maybe Maddison if he can get his act together.

We need one season of mediocrity imo and a very decent summer rebuild and go again, which I will take all day as long as we sign the quality for next season.
  • Options
    One big plus from yesterday,no 46th or 96th minute balls ups leading to goals.
  • Options
    Good to have Tommy in the commentary box for the first 20 mins.He was very positive and brings a breath of thresh air to the club(and a big bank account).Could never imagine Roland ever doing the same.Did make me laugh though whilst Greg reffered to Tommy as Thomas - Terry frequently called him Mr Sandgaard like a nervous school pupil talking to his master.
    Happy days

Disappointed to hear the name calling by Greg and Terry ?
    Thomas Sandgaard has to be addressed as "His Excellency" 
    That HE title is so last erm erm,Jan-March just gone...😣
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Post match analysis, Sandgaard is the man to take this club forward. Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen will be the men who take the club forward, but without being disrespectful, most of our players won't. We really lack in qualify, even at league 1 level.

I reckon we will need two seasons to get out of this league, unless we have an incredible window from here on out. 

We should be patient though, look where we were a few weeks ago, I'm happy for a mediocre season in league 1 knowing my club is in safe hands for the next, for now.

Defenders. Famewo looks great at this level. Pratley is more than handy. Pearce is good at this level too. You'd call all three upper League One at worst. We need full-backs and we'll get them. 

Midfield. Lack quality eh? We have two current Wales internationals, known for their passing and dribbling respectively. We have Forest's captain and lynchpin from last season. We have a player who has torn this league a new arsehole for five seasons running. We have MK Dons' best player. We have a clutch of extremely promising youngsters, led by Vennings and Morgan, both of whom have evident quality in spades, and we have a player Celtic really want. 

Attack. Okay we lack a bit of quality and fitness. Until next week. Then we'll have two quality strikers PLUS Aneke and Washington, who themselves have plenty of League One quality. 

The notion that by our next game we lack quality in any area of the field will be absolutely laughable. 

Our only real problems against Sunderland were that our midfield had little to aim for up front and that our full-backs weren't able to support attacking possession well. Of course, this meant a succession of failed Hollywood passes, but they were all moonshots. When our attack grooves we'll not be letting in many AND we'll be scoring loads. 

You should be a salesman if you aren't already, you genuinely nearly convinced me we have a good team there.

Famewo early doors but a prospect no doubt, but not ours, so no stability there. Pratley is a tryer but not a centre back and although a work horse in midfield slows us down, bench player at best. Pearce is a good no nonsense defender and good enough for a promotion campaign but then what? I know he had a few good games last season but he isn't good enough for the step up and he is getting on plus he's injured. Purrington, average league 1 defender, don't have a right back, our link sounds like another stop gap. Oshilaja although I like him is a mid table league 1 defender at best.

Just because someone is an international it doesn't make them good? Wales have loads of pony players and quite frankly are a bit pony. I like Williams but he's an accident waiting to happen and isn't up for a full season, Levitt again is a prospect but not a player we can build on. Watson although a cracking signing again doesn't allow for stability. MK Dons player of the season, MK Don's finished 19th last season, now I know that doesn't mean Gilbey is a bad player because he seems decent to me but it's not like we have poached a promotion rivals player. Our youngsters are good but we shouldn't be relying on them and I don't think they're good enough to get us up personally. I am also not really concerned by who Celtic want, that's not the mark of a good player (I highly rate Doughty though)

Strikers? Why will we have two quality strikers, where from, they don't just grow on trees, it's not fifa. I will be amazed if we have two strikers of let's say even Bonnes quality by the end of this window. Washington is not good let's have it right, one good season ever in this league about 5 years ago, poor scoring record since then. Chuks is a unit but not the type to score 20 and rather a speciality player, he will never be what Lyle was for us for instance.

I appreciate your optimism but I just don't see it. I look at this team (excluding Phillips) and I see one player who I think is ready to start week in, week out and can make the step up and it's Doughty, maybe Maddison if he can get his act together.

We need one season of mediocrity imo and a very decent summer rebuild and go again, which I will take all day as long as we sign the quality for next season.
    There's a lot of talk about 'making the step up' in this post. The step up to what? We're in League One. This is not going to be a season of mediocrity with the players we have and are going to have. 
  • Options
    Charlton nil.

Bonne scores on debut for QPR.

Not bad for "terrible footballer" and "Sunday League standard.

Quotes from the Knowledgeable CL.

Might be the manager. Just saying.

Thomas Sandgaard is a winner and
    the bar for Lee Bowyer has been raised.
    Lee Bowyer, will after this window, when we bring in two strikers hopefully, be judged on Results.

I haven't got over getting 2 points from the last 18 on offer in the mini 9 match season.
    Last season was a nightmare from the moment Taylor got injured.

Lee Bowyer has a clean slate this Season.
    Top 6 is the minimum requirement from TS.

Lee knows if he falls short of being in contention he is out of a job. 
    For an owner who is ambitions like Thomas Sandgaard, then Lee needs to know his best 11 ASAP and get rid of the deadwood.

In my humble opinion as someone who has coached and managed in grass roots football, the hard luck stories have to stop NOW. I will continue to give Lee Bowyer 100% because of the shocking hand he was dealt last season. Playing a right sided defender at LB was a gamble in one match let alone 3 in the mini season. 

Good luck Lee and Steve in finding a Taylor, Grant or Bonne in this Window.

My only prediction was Charlton nil in the preview. 
    Great post.
    I don't know about that.
    If we finish outside the top six and that qualifies as an automatic sacking for Bowyer, then I won't be happy with the owner.
    It would be hugely unfair given the quality players he's lost and the unlikelihood of getting equal replacements.
    My first query would be: did the manager agree to selling Bonne?
  • Options

Ps. I did see Charlton score 6 in back to back home games against Notts County and Southampton but the saints game was a League cup tie from Memory. 
    Charlton 6 Swansea 0  29/8/72
    Charlton 6 Notts C 1   19 /9/72

https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/matches/season/1973/

Charlton 6 Southampton 2   24/9/76

https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/matches/season/1977/ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have to remember that this is effectively a brand new team (again) and that around half of the ne that played yesterday will be squad players (I hope) in a couple of weeks. 

Who was a regular all last season from those that played? Purrington & Williams didn't really play after the restart, Oshilaja filled gaps, Doughty came in second half of the season and was excellent so that only really leaves Pratley who would not have been many peoples first choice (me included - but proved wrong).

Channeling my inner Big Ron where are our leaders/our characters? Last season we had leaders all over the pitch - Phillips, Pearce, Lockyer, Cullen, Pratley, T*ylor. Maybe Solly/Matthews, Gallagher and Field as well. This year we have Pratley  (playing out of position) and a hope that others will grow into it but we need stability for that to happen.
  • Options
    We have to remember that this is effectively a brand new team (again) and that around half of the ne that played yesterday will be squad players (I hope) in a couple of weeks. 

Who was a regular all last season from those that played? Purrington & Williams didn't really play after the restart, Oshilaja filled gaps, Doughty came in second half of the season and was excellent so that only really leaves Pratley who would not have been many peoples first choice (me included - but proved wrong).

Channeling my inner Big Ron where are our leaders/our characters? Last season we had leaders all over the pitch - Phillips, Pearce, Lockyer, Cullen, Pratley, T*ylor. Maybe Solly/Matthews, Gallagher and Field as well. This year we have Pratley  (playing out of position) and a hope that others will grow into it but we need stability for that to happen.
    I'd hope any leaders this year are: Amos | Pearce | Pratley | Watson | Gilbey, MAYBE Washington
  • Options
    Present day football fans give my a*** a headache.

Years ago managers got x years contracts and left to get on with it.

Bowyer has shown what he can do with limited resources, hopefully Sandgaard will give him the tools to get us promoted, it may not be this season.

The club needs a total overhaul, Rome was not built in a day.
    You are aware that you have to score goals to win games. 1 in the last 3 games. No shots on target today (I've seen the Sky highlights and Doughty's "shot" was a cross that their keeper easily saved by the near post)

Yes, one of our strikers left yesterday leaving us short up front but Davison is a striker if Bows wanted to play 2 up front and the midfield ARE allowed to shoot......perhaps someone should tell them.  

Also, nothing seems to have changed regarding corners. I didnt watch the match today but Cawley's Twitter feed was a cut & paste of the last 50 games......"Corner comes to nothing" or "corner cleared". Once, just once, it would be nice to read.  "corner swung over & thumped in by Washington".

If Bows wants to keep his job he might want to think about changing his tactics.....or his set piece man !!
    Oh for f***s sake. You do get right on my nerves sometimes. On the one hand you moan about our lack of shots (which is true) and recognise that we've sold / lost our best players, and then you agree with sacking the manager if we finish outside the top six. 
    This manager has proved you wrong before and you've been to the matches and seen it with your own eyes. You have so little faith. You always have had even when it was Lennie or Curbs. You do talk a lot of sense a lot of the time , but you're endless whining about shots and statistics is boring even when true. 

I don't know why you don't go online and get a new golf partner.
  • Options
    Charlton nil.

Lee Bowyer, will after this window, when we bring in two strikers hopefully, be judged on Results.

I haven't got over getting 2 points from the last 18 on offer in the mini 9 match season.

For an owner who is ambitions like Thomas Sandgaard, then Lee needs to know his best 11 ASAP and get rid of the deadwood.

In my humble opinion as someone who has coached and managed in grass roots football, the hard luck stories have to stop NOW. I will continue to give Lee Bowyer 100% because of the shocking hand he was dealt last season. Playing a right sided defender at LB was a gamble in one match let alone 3 in the mini season. 

Great post.

Yes.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

There's a lot of talk about 'making the step up' in this post. The step up to what? We're in League One. This is not going to be a season of mediocrity with the players we have and are going to have. 
    Well generally speaking here, players who aren't ready to make the step up don't usually get promoted. It's ok if you have a handful in the squad and they drag you up and then you invest like Aribo, Taylor, Bauer, Cullen etc. Where are there like for likes this season?

I ask again what players are we going to have? Anyone we have been linked with doesn't scream promotion other than maybe Schwartz. We can't offer crazy wages to lure players because of the wage structure in place. As things stand we don't have a team good enough to get promoted.

I am struggling to see how this is going to be anything other than a limbo season which is perfectly fine by me as I know with the right recruitment process with our management we can walk this league, use that momentum in the championship and upgrade on our bit part players. If we went up this season we would have to replace our whole team or it would go straight back down, what would be the point in that? 
  • Options
    Is 35 year old (yes experienced and all that) Watson in the twilight of his running down career going to be any good?
    By any good I actually mean will he cause Charlton Athletic to accumulate an impressive number of points?
  • Options

Ps. I did see Charlton score 6 in back to back home games against Notts County and Southampton but the saints game was a League cup tie from Memory. 
    Charlton 6 Swansea 0  29/8/72
    Charlton 6 Notts C 1   19 /9/72

https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/matches/season/1973/

Charlton 6 Southampton 2   24/9/76

https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/matches/season/1977/ 

LOL, 4 years in between the Notts County and Southampton match.

So it was Swansea and Notts County a few weeks apart.
  • Options
    One big plus from yesterday,no 46th or 96th minute balls ups leading to goals.
    We nearly did, but for a great bit of defensive work by Maddison
  • Options
    What slightly worries me about Bowyer is that there's been no consistency in team selection since we restarted in June, even with the players who'd stayed. Yes players may have lost form or fitness during lockdown or between the seasons, but it's been quite notable how certain players seemed to become out of favour

Williams for example has become a bit part player
    Purrington lost his place in the 9 game run to Deji playing on the wrong side and Doughty, but is now back in as LB in L1
    Morgan and Davison both signed new contracts after looking useful during the 9 game run, especially Morgan, yet have hardly featured in L1. Indeed Davison has only played in the Mickey Mouse trophy this season, despite us being light up top!
    JFC came back into the side this season, then didn't even make the bench yesterday

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Credit where credit’s due, I thought the ref was excellent.

Also, save of the century!!! How’d he stop that??

Aside from that, I’m worried. Why have we got so many midfielders and so few defenders and forwards?

I’ve been away for the best part of ten years and haven’t watched much of us at all, to be honest, but it seems to me he needs to get back to basics. Choose your best formation, take your strongest position, and build your team around that. I think we have three pretty good potential number 10s - Maddison, Oztumer and Morgan (in that order). Personally, I’d like to see one of them have a free role each week and get some solid defenders in - no nonsense Phil Chapple/ Eddie Youds types to do the dirty stuff.

By the way, Solly - free agent. Any reason why not apart from ‘He let us down....’?
  • Options
    Solly has had cartilage removed from his knee(s) and has been going backwards as a player for 5 odd years. 
  • Options
    Unless he comes with a time machine then I don’t think re-signing Solly is the right move. 
  • Options
    Charlton nil.

Great post.

Yes.
    I’d be very surprised if he didn’t. Bowyers comments about Bonne since lockdown have suggested he ran out of patience and lost faith in him several months ago. 
  • Options
    Unbalanced squad and Purrington in a back 3 alongside Pratley. Clean sheet and a draw against a promotion chasing team is more than what most of us expected.

Bowyer can be criticised if need be, but after the window closes and he gets a few more players in that he wants and, most importantly, need.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Well generally speaking here, players who aren't ready to make the step up don't usually get promoted. It's ok if you have a handful in the squad and they drag you up and then you invest like Aribo, Taylor, Bauer, Cullen etc. Where are there like for likes this season?

I ask again what players are we going to have? Anyone we have been linked with doesn't scream promotion other than maybe Schwartz. We can't offer crazy wages to lure players because of the wage structure in place. As things stand we don't have a team good enough to get promoted.

I am struggling to see how this is going to be anything other than a limbo season which is perfectly fine by me as I know with the right recruitment process with our management we can walk this league, use that momentum in the championship and upgrade on our bit part players. If we went up this season we would have to replace our whole team or it would go straight back down, what would be the point in that? 
    Um...

"players who aren't ready to make the step up don't usually get promoted" - seen Fulham this season? Teams get promoted and then tend to either strengthen or fail. Sheffield United last season was an exception that proves the rule

That said, we have plenty of players who have been good at Championship level recently (Watson, Doughty) or have the clear potential to be so (Maddison, Famewo etc). Plus, we're in League One

Who are the like-for-likes of Aribo, Taylor, Bauer and Cullen? Aribo has Maddison and Doughty. Taylor has the bloke we're signing next week. As does Bauer. And for Cullen...are Watson and Levitt really so far behind him? I would argue not. Don't forget that we used to still lose the midfield battle all the time even with Cullen in our side, no matter how well he played. 

I've said what players we're going to have - easily the equal of any other L1 squad, who have, likewise, the SAME wage structure imposed.

If we went up we would have to strengthen, yes. But how about dealing with this season first?
  • Options
    Present day football fans give my a*** a headache.

Years ago managers got x years contracts and left to get on with it.

Bowyer has shown what he can do with limited resources, hopefully Sandgaard will give him the tools to get us promoted, it may not be this season.

The club needs a total overhaul, Rome was not built in a day.
    You are aware that you have to score goals to win games. 1 in the last 3 games. No shots on target today (I've seen the Sky highlights and Doughty's "shot" was a cross that their keeper easily saved by the near post)

Yes, one of our strikers left yesterday leaving us short up front but Davison is a striker if Bows wanted to play 2 up front and the midfield ARE allowed to shoot......perhaps someone should tell them.  

Also, nothing seems to have changed regarding corners. I didnt watch the match today but Cawley's Twitter feed was a cut & paste of the last 50 games......"Corner comes to nothing" or "corner cleared". Once, just once, it would be nice to read.  "corner swung over & thumped in by Washington".

If Bows wants to keep his job he might want to think about changing his tactics.....or his set piece man !!
    Oh for f***s sake. You do get right on my nerves sometimes. On the one hand you moan about our lack of shots (which is true) and recognise that we've sold / lost our best players, and then you agree with sacking the manager if we finish outside the top six. 
    This manager has proved you wrong before and you've been to the matches and seen it with your own eyes. You have so little faith. You always have had even when it was Lennie or Curbs. You do talk a lot of sense a lot of the time , but you're endless whining about shots and statistics is boring even when true. 

I don't know why you don't go online and get a new golf partner.
    I don't know why he goes.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

...By the way, Solly - free agent. Any reason why not apart from ‘He let us down....’?
    He's a free agent for a reason. 
  • Options
    Charlton nil.

Great post.

Yes.
    I’d be very surprised if he didn’t. Bowyers comments about Bonne since lockdown have suggested he ran out of patience and lost faith in him several months ago. 
    He's not the only one.