Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland | Saturday 3rd October | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Present day football fans give my a*** a headache.

Years ago managers got x years contracts and left to get on with it.

Bowyer has shown what he can do with limited resources, hopefully Sandgaard will give him the tools to get us promoted, it may not be this season.

The club needs a total overhaul, Rome was not built in a day.
    You are aware that you have to score goals to win games. 1 in the last 3 games. No shots on target today (I've seen the Sky highlights and Doughty's "shot" was a cross that their keeper easily saved by the near post)

Yes, one of our strikers left yesterday leaving us short up front but Davison is a striker if Bows wanted to play 2 up front and the midfield ARE allowed to shoot......perhaps someone should tell them.  

Also, nothing seems to have changed regarding corners. I didnt watch the match today but Cawley's Twitter feed was a cut & paste of the last 50 games......"Corner comes to nothing" or "corner cleared". Once, just once, it would be nice to read.  "corner swung over & thumped in by Washington".

If Bows wants to keep his job he might want to think about changing his tactics.....or his set piece man !!
    You do realise that if there are 10 corners a game, the likelihood of a goal being scored from one of those 10 corners is low!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Bowyer has shown what he can do with limited resources, hopefully Sandgaard will give him the tools to get us promoted, it may not be this season.

You are aware that you have to score goals to win games. 1 in the last 3 games. No shots on target today (I've seen the Sky highlights and Doughty's "shot" was a cross that their keeper easily saved by the near post)

Yes, one of our strikers left yesterday leaving us short up front but Davison is a striker if Bows wanted to play 2 up front and the midfield ARE allowed to shoot......perhaps someone should tell them.  

Also, nothing seems to have changed regarding corners. I didnt watch the match today but Cawley's Twitter feed was a cut & paste of the last 50 games......"Corner comes to nothing" or "corner cleared". Once, just once, it would be nice to read.  "corner swung over & thumped in by Washington".

If Bows wants to keep his job he might want to think about changing his tactics.....or his set piece man !!
    Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable. I sometimes wonder what planet some of our fans are on.

The bloke has worked miracles since he's been here. Sure, he's not immune from criticism, but any talk of him getting the sack is ludicrous. Bonkers.
    Disagree. He just had the right players at the right time, like any manager really. I’ve always struggled to believe that a manager is key to success rather than than the players in a team though.
  • Options

I rest my case.
  • Options
    I know Vennings completed more passes than anyone else but I would love to see the percentage of how many of them went forward. 
    Seems to me that he makes very little happen and just moves the ball backwards and I saw Washington shout at him at one stage when he did not track his player back and Washington had to run all the way back to defend .
    I don’t think he is ready for this level yet ! 
  • Options
    Vennings broke between the lines better than anyone else, I thought. I have a sneaky feeling Bowyer will keep giving him game time. 

Oztumer was screwed by the formation change. Until then he'd looked handy. 

Levitt and Watson could be a decent double-pivot if we want to play that way. 

The issue for all of these players was that Washington and Doughty just weren't enough to aim for, and Oshilaja is no real wide threat either. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the Purrington sweeper experiment repeated. Ben Purkenbauer anyone? 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Off_it said:

Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable. I sometimes wonder what planet some of our fans are on.

The bloke has worked miracles since he's been here. Sure, he's not immune from criticism, but any talk of him getting the sack is ludicrous. Bonkers.
    Disagree. He just had the right players at the right time, like any manager really. I’ve always struggled to believe that a manager is key to success rather than than the players in a team though.
    The players didn’t bring themselves to the club or up from youth set up. It was Bowyer that decided who would work well together and how. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SamB09 said:
    Off_it said:

The players didn’t bring themselves to the club or up from youth set up. It was Bowyer that decided who would work well together and how. 
    If you spent all week with the players you could see which ones perform best. I have never understood the hype about any manager, its more about the players a manager has.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Cack.

Missed the first 15 minutes as the stream wouldn't work. TBH after watching that I would have been happier if it had failed to work at all.

Should have been 3-0 down at half time.

Defence looked shaky. Midfield were overrun at times and absolutely zero threat going forward. Washington deserves some praise as he ran himself into the ground with absolutely no service.

Aneke looked ok when he came on, but as we know he is made of glass and it is only a matter of time till he gets injured again.

Personally think we need RB, LB, RCB, x2 Strikers and possibly an out and out wide man. Without them I think we may be in for a long season.

The good thng is, I think Sandgaard will spend and we will be a lot stronger by the time we play again. 
  • Options
    Our most progressive play was Sunderland frequently putting the ball out for throw ins to us.
    Got lucky to get a draw.
    We need some talismanic presences in the building. Being a finishing school for learning youngsters only works in an already strong structure.
    We haven't so much lost our mojo as much as not creating one in the first place.
    The next two weeks as they say......
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    SamB09 said:

SamB09 said:
    Off_it said:

If you spent all week with the players you could see which ones perform best. I have never understood the hype about any manager, its more about the players a manager has.
    I would have hoped that if you spent all week with them you'd also be able to get one of them to take a decent corner or free kick. Perhaps it was written in his loan agreement that Levitt has to take them.
  • Options
    I think nearly all the comments are justified.
    Most of us expected the team to be poor and the team were poor.
    Most of us were expecting defeat and hoping for a point.
    So most of us are happy with a point.
    But it doesn't alter the fact that it was shockingly poor.

However I haven't read one person "having a go" unfairly at the players, purely "saying what they saw".
    There was also only one person out of perhaps a hundred suggesting that Bowyer's job is already at risk.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

SamB09 said:
    Off_it said:

Lol. So you dont believe formations,  tactics, training ground routines, etc, have any impact on games then?!
  • Options
    Writing this at 1:30am on Sunday and if they were still playing, it would still be 0-0. The bad news is that we were utter cack. The good news is that they were no better................
  • Options
    2 weeks pre season has now begun.

Write off those 2 we lost take positives from the other two and move on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any marks for Tommy on commentary?
    Thought he spoke well. Clearly knows a thing or two about the game and kept his comments positive. Suspect he might have chipped in a bit too much for the commentators' liking e.g. asking them to read out the team sheet. That's CEOs for you though; always wanting to be in the know, always wanting that element of control. Disappeared after 20 minutes just like the players did - he'll fit in well.  Seriously, it was a good bit of PR and I suspect he had plenty of other meet, greet and relationship builds to do today. A good days work, I'd say.
  • Options
    Sunderland should have been out of sight by HT
    Second half we were better but helped by the fact that Sunderland seemed to lose there discipline.
    Levitt was very poor and should have been subbed earlier.
    Chucks and Maddison made a difference and with a returning Gibley will make a big difference.
    Key to get in a RB and 2 strikers.
    Still early doors but a point gained which I never saw coming at HT
    RB, LB, CB, CM, RM, 2x strikers 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Vennings broke between the lines better than anyone else, I thought. I have a sneaky feeling Bowyer will keep giving him game time. 

Oztumer was screwed by the formation change. Until then he'd looked handy. 

Levitt and Watson could be a decent double-pivot if we want to play that way. 

The issue for all of these players was that Washington and Doughty just weren't enough to aim for, and Oshilaja is no real wide threat either. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the Purrington sweeper experiment repeated. Ben Purkenbauer anyone? 
    You’ve finally lost it, Leuth
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We get an enthusiastic owner of the football club with money and then the players we have, put in two abysmal performances. 
    Compare to the first two home League games last season.

Charlton 3 Stoke 1(vibrant and exciting performance)
    Charlton 1 Forest 1 (best passing from cafc I have seen in first 45 minutes bar none)

Two of the best back to back League home games I have seen at the Valley. Considering I have seen about 1100 home League games at the Valley, Selhurst park and Upton Park, so not only am I getting old but I feel my views are still relevent when I do a comparison. 

Charlton 1 Doncaster 3 ( dire)
    Charlton 0 Sunderland 0 (lucky to get nil)

No lies, because I'm now watching 3 games a week in the 8th and 9th tier(enjoy going to FA cup preliminary rounds with teams that care about the competition) I fortunately didn't torture myself by watching Valley pass(Terry and Greg: top men) so far this season but if the likes of @Covered End  @MuttleyCAFC and @Blucher (3 of our best analysts, and I will PM you guys where to send the cheques !) feel we are poor then we are poor.

What a difference a year makes and I'm not talking COVID-19 on this thread.

When you don't have a shot on target in a League 1 home match you have terrible problems. Thomas Sandgaard wants to be entertained; Charlton folk want to be entertained (as well as the wins) 

We had an owner who gave 2% of his time to cafc, to an owner who wants a hands on 98% of his time to Charlton Athletic. (Thomas must've a top CEO in his medical company)

The bar has been raised for Lee Bowyer by Thomas Sandgaard's involvement.
    Great expectations or Bleak house ?
    A tale of two owners.

(What the Dickens !)

A critical window awaits.

Ps. I did see Charlton score 6 in back to back home games against Notts County and Southampton but the saints game was a League cup tie from Memory. 
  • Options
    I think a few need to realign their expectations for this season, the club has been on life support for the past nine months, this will not be fixed overnight. We all need to show a bit of patience. A solid point to build on.
    I don't think that the desire for one shot on target in 95 minutes at home is an unrealistic expectation though mate? I do get where you are coming from though. 
  • Options
    1st half was poor and 2nd half was only better once Chucks came on. It's quite simple years mis management from the owners have lead us to this. We now have hopefully the right owner but we have to accept what we have and get behind it.

The positive for me was the 3 signings we have made under the new owner all looked good. Bowyer and Gallen with the right backing will get it right
  • Options
    We get an enthusiastic owner of the football club with money and then the players we have, put in two abysmal performances. 
    Compare to the first two home League games last season.

Charlton 3 Stoke 1(vibrant and exciting performance)
    Charlton 1 Forest 1 (best passing from cafc I have seen in first 45 minutes bar none)

Two of the best back to back League home games I have seen at the Valley. Considering I have seen about 1100 home League games at the Valley, Selhurst park and Upton Park, so not only am I getting old but I feel my views are still relevent when I do a comparison. 

Charlton 0 Doncaster 2 ( dire)
    Charlton 0 Sunderland 0 (lucky to get nil)

No lies, because I'm now watching 3 games a week in the 8th and 9th tier(enjoy going to FA cup preliminary rounds with teams that care about the competition) I fortunately didn't torture myself by watching Valley pass(Terry and Greg: top men) so far this season but if the likes of @Covered End  @MuttleyCAFC and @Blucher (3 of our best analysts, and I will PM you guys where to send the cheques !) feel we are poor then we are poor.

What a difference a year makes and I'm not talking COVID-19 on this thread.

When you don't have a shot on target in a League 1 home match you have terrible problems. Thomas Sandgaard wants to be entertained; Charlton folk want to be entertained (as well as the wins) 

We had an owner who gave 2% of his time to cafc, to an owner who wants a hands on 98% of his time to Charlton Athletic. (Thomas must've a top CEO in his medical company)

The bar has been raised for Lee Bowyer by Thomas Sandgaard's involvement.
    Great expectations or Bleak house ?
    A tale of two owners.

(What the Dickens !)

A critical window awaits.

Ps. I did see Charlton score 6 in back to back home games against Notts County and Southampton but the saints game was a League cup tie from Memory. 
    Doncaster was 1-3....
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Did Bowyer really play Alfie Doughty on the right yesterday ?

We are so devoid of attacking nous that Alfie has to attack down the left flank and build a relationship with Purrington, who can cover and  was steady last time we were in League 1.

When I hear some CL members talking about dropping Alfie I wonder WTF is going on ?
    How can the one bright spark in the 9 match mini League not be the main man in his best position on the left, either as left midfield, winger, (his positions in under 21)
    Or as a wing back in a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 if under the cosh.

• Options
    palarse slump to 9th in the prem
    scum slump to 11th in the championship
    we rise to 14th in league one , what a load of c**t

got to love TS and his enthusiasm, it’s sooooo gonna end in tears and a fortune lost for him chasing the impossible but we’re gonna have some fun on the way .

we’ll be ok the league is pony and we’re a good fit for it .

2%   Automatic promotion 
    31%   Play offs 
    60%   7th-12th 
    7%  13th-20th
    0%       Relegation