Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2 strikers in 2 weeks - any suggestions - serious ones please ...

Comments

• Derby appear in talks to try and sign Charlie Austin, potentially allows us to get Jack Marriott from them if we're interested?
    Marriott would be a five star signing for this level if we could get him, especially having played with Maddison at Peterboro but would Derby allow him to check out?
  • Derby appear in talks to try and sign Charlie Austin, potentially allows us to get Jack Marriott from them if we're interested?
    Marriott would be a five star signing for this level if we could get him, especially having played with Maddison at Peterboro but would Derby allow him to check out?
    He's certainly been getting minutes so might be a long shot...

Although only got two mins at the end of todays game so hopefully means he'll be sent out if Austin comes in
  • My wife has suggested some bloke at Gillingham. Doesn’t know his name though.
  • Gillinghams centre forward is brilliant at winning the ball, can't hit a cows arse with a banjo though. Paddy Madden I think would be a great choice

• Paddy Madden .. I have been advocating him for 6 years .. and NO, I am not his cousin, brother, father or agent

I first mentioned Marcus Maddison in 2014 as a player we should consider when he was playing for Gateshead as a winger
     (released from Newcastle) so keep going Lincs,  you may get this one over the line !
  • edited October 2020
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Gestede would be a great signing in league 1

Good shout Daz,
    Rudy Gestede is now 31 but the French, Benin International is without a club and even though RG isn't that mobile, he is  brilliant in the air if good service from both wings. Remember him scoring at the Valley when I believe he was playing for ? Cardiff or Blackburn.
    He is 6ft 4in and being a free agent, may relish a one year contract in League 1.

Marriott and Gestede  would storm this mediocre division.
    How we entice them to Cafc is the difficult part with the cap in place ?

• You're 'avin a bubble with some of the names being bandied about. Marriott ??, Gested ??, Baldock ??  All probably on at least double what we can pay, probably triple or even quadruple. 

Try players from Leagues 1 & 2........or Prem loanees under 21.
  • I would be amazed if we signed Rudy Gestede, in a good way 

Madden is realistic but Fleetwood would want a decent fee and then we have the salary cap issue again

Doyle at Bolton is a finisher but he has only just signed and chose to remain in tier 4 rather than go up with Swindon 

In reality with 2 weeks to go unless there are some uncut gems playing in Ireland which seems to produce good footballers for this level or Scotland then we will be getting a U23 loan from a championship or Premier league club 
  • Jack Byrne Shamrock Rovers, more an attacking midfielder, top goal scorer in the League of Ireland this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    I do wonder whether some of these bigger named players are going to have to accept the 2,000 per week salary or not have a job. It's not really a big ask to attract players as if the Championship clubs aren't interested, they can only really go abroad if they still want a higher salary. 

Makes sense then that Gallen and Bowyer are getting offered 20+ players a day by the sounds of it. 
  • Chunes said:
    I do wonder whether some of these bigger named players are going to have to accept the 2,000 per week salary or not have a job. It's not really a big ask to attract players as if the Championship clubs aren't interested, they can only really go abroad if they still want a higher salary. 

Makes sense then that Gallen and Bowyer are getting offered 20+ players a day by the sounds of it. 
    Doesn’t the international transfer window  close on Monday  ? 

So they are then left with no job or 2k a week. 

All looks like a game of poker at the moment and for once the clubs could be holding all of the hands come next Tuesday. 
  • edited October 2020
    £2k a week, but more importantly, a chance for a better move in January if they are playing well. I am expecting quite a few one year deals across the lower leagues in the next fortnight, all with exit clauses in January.
  • edited October 2020
    Although I think free agents can be signed outside of a transfer window, no? Outside of the PL
  • No job or 100k.

Tough decision 
  • edited October 2020
    No job or 100k.

Tough decision 
    It is for crap players who dont currently have a job. The players mentioned on the previous posts all have clubs so dont NEED to sign (apart from Gestede). Harder to entice a contracted player to sign when you are offering worse money than they are currently on.
  • You're 'avin a bubble with some of the names being bandied about. Marriott ??, Gested ??, Baldock ??  All probably on at least double what we can pay, probably triple or even quadruple. 

Try players from Leagues 1 & 2........or Prem loanees under 21.
    Or in the case of Baldock (for example) he's only started 27 games in 2 seasons and has made 1 brief sub appearance this season for a side who've won 4 out fo 4 without him. He may want a loan so he can actually get games. We could loan him but pay 2-3k a week towards whatever he's on.

Marriott is never going to happen though, he's featured in every game for Derby this season.
  • Chunes said:
    Although I think free agents can be signed outside of a transfer window, no? Outside of the PL
    Yeah they can 
  • Marriott is too expensive I would suggest. thrives on service though so would probably link up well with Maddison again

Lawrence Shankland in Scotland (Dundee Utd) is a good age, scores regularly and could be worth a look

The young Swedish guy I recommended was signed by Rosenberg this week so he’s out of the question

Sam Baldock is the modern day Darren Purse.  We often seem to get linked but never happens.  He’s not hit double figures regularly and likely to be on a good screw but he isn’t getting a look in so could be an outside bet

Tristan Abraham’s is an interesting, if a little raw, option. Would be a punt like Bonne.  He’s quick but also a big unit.  Very hard working and his his shooting boots on at the moment.  Not sure if he’s a bit raw at the moment

• My Coventry City supporting mate at work reckons we should have a go for Maxime Biamou. He is now down the pecking order at City, apparently he's also a decent geezer and does lots for local charities. They bought him from Sutton 3 years ago, he has just turned 28 and could go for as little as £300k. I've watched his goals on YouTube, link below, he might be worth a punt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5UChuA3XI 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gestede would be a great signing, especially now with Maddison being able to whip a ball into the box.
  • edited October 2020
    My Coventry City supporting mate at work reckons we should have a go for Maxime Biamou. He is now down the pecking order at City, apparently he's also a decent geezer and does lots for local charities. They bought him from Sutton 3 years ago, he has just turned 28 and could go for as little as £300k. I've watched his goals on YouTube, link below, he might be worth a punt!

9 in 62 league games for Coventry and can't get in their side? I know they're a league above us but even so.

He's 30 next month. If Coventry rejects are the level we're looking at then we're fucked.
  • My Coventry City supporting mate at work reckons we should have a go for Maxime Biamou. He is now down the pecking order at City, apparently he's also a decent geezer and does lots for local charities. They bought him from Sutton 3 years ago, he has just turned 28 and could go for as little as £300k. I've watched his goals on YouTube, link below, he might be worth a punt!

9 in 62 league games for Coventry and can't get in their side? I know they're a league above us but even so.

He's 30 next month. If that's the level we're looking at then we're fucked.
    It was only a suggestion! 

Do NOT buy a used car from this guy.

He's 30 next month. If Coventry rejects are the level we're looking at then we're fucked.
    I don't know if you realise that Coventry are in a higher league than us. One of their "rejects" is about the best you are going to get. That, my friend, is the pool we are currently fishing in.......

I don't know if you realise that Coventry are in a higher league than us. One of their "rejects" is about the best you are going to get. That, my friend, is the pool we are currently fishing in.......
    I literally said that in my post.

Wycombe are also in a higher league than us, i wouldn't want one of their cast offs either.

But in any case, i really don't believe a Coventry reject is the best we are going to get. 
  • The talk from LB and Gallen was we had players lined up ready to come in. Now either this was a lie, or some are just taking time to get over the line. Did LB believe that Bonne would leave ? I think the answer to that is yes. I therefore also believe he must have a target that he feels is a better player. I also think some of our players are still hung over from last seasons poor performances and off field chaos. Let’s be honest we should not have gone down.  We need Williams, Purrington, JFC and the like to step up, and get to the sort of form that saw us outplay some of the best sides in the championship last year. 

This is a terrible league and we do not have to be world beaters to get out of it. Up our game and 3 or 4 additions, could see us move rapidly up the table. 
  • edited October 2020
    The talk from LB and Gallen was we had players lined up ready to come in. Now either this was a lie, or some are just taking time to get over the line. Did LB believe that Bonne would leave ? I think the answer to that is yes. I therefore also believe he must have a target that he feels is a better player. I also think some of our players are still hung over from last seasons poor performances and off field chaos. Let’s be honest we should not have gone down.  We need Williams, Purrington, JFC and the like to step up, and get to the sort of form that saw us outplay some of the best sides in the championship last year. 

This is a terrible league and we do not have to be world beaters to get out of it. Up our game and 3 or 4 additions, could see us move rapidly up the table. 
    Dont think its a bad statement to make that some of the squad appear to be recovering still from relegation... Look at Huddersfield as an example from last season

I dont think it was a lie that we had players ready to sign - I think its more a case that better players are now available than what we were bringing in so Bowyer / Gallen have rightly hesitated, wouldnt be surprised either if thats changing all the time as Agents / Free Transfers start to get even more worried over securing a new club.

e.g. We've heard nothing more about that Wealdstone lad: Dennon Lewis who was here on trial

Were we going to sign him and chose not to because we realised we could get Maddison?
  • The talk from LB and Gallen was we had players lined up ready to come in. Now either this was a lie, or some are just taking time to get over the line. Did LB believe that Bonne would leave ? I think the answer to that is yes. I therefore also believe he must have a target that he feels is a better player. I also think some of our players are still hung over from last seasons poor performances and off field chaos. Let’s be honest we should not have gone down.  We need Williams, Purrington, JFC and the like to step up, and get to the sort of form that saw us outplay some of the best sides in the championship last year. 

I don't think they'd lie, why would they? Nothing to gain from that.

We're led to believe Schwartz was lined up but then the deal collapsed because of payment terms. @Swisdom also said yesterday that a striker deal is done.