Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Maybe if he had his head on straight instead of turned he might have scored more goals. Bonne chance mon-ami. I must say think he looks better in red than blue and white. My last recollection of Macca will be the Donny game where he was standing in an offside position frantically waving his arms about for a cross.....
    Have to think he's not quite the finished article and still a work in progress however. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    To turn him from a £200k signing into £2m sale in a year is unbelievable business. Especially for a player who quite frankly is not worth anywhere near that sort of money. 
    Roland would be proud.
  • Options
    Imagine what we would have sold him for under Roland - £150k or terminated his contract
  • Options
    The good about Bonne:

Reasonably physically strong (although far from dominant against big centre backs)
    Decent work rate, although has tailed off a bit in recent months.
    Can shoot from both feet.
    Takes up good positions in and around the 6 yard box.
    An good instinctive finisher - most of his goals come when he doesn't have time to think about it - e.g. Derby and Wigan last season, Swindon this season.

The bad about Bonne:

That first touch... it's very poor. Moves often break down when the ball gets to him because he just fails to control the ball well enough. He loses chances on goal because of it too.
    He should win a bit more in the air for his height.
    One-on-ones, not a reliable finisher if he gets put through.
    His link up play is okay, when the ball occasionally sticks, but he's not got a repertoire of neat flicks and tricks in a way that someone like Taylor did.

Overall, give him the right service and he will score goals, but he's a bit passive outside the box and won't contribute greatly to the build up play. There are things to worked on and I've have been happy to keep him and continue working on him, but 2 million is very good money for where he is at the moment and I suspect we can get at least a couple of strikers in who will better suit what we need for less than we have just sold Bonne for.

yeah, a decent poacher for league one level, nothing more imo. 2 mill is mad money and i'm confident bows and gallen have got a couple of better targets to come in.
  • Options
    QPR forum saying it is £700k?
  • Options
    Daylight robbery ......never worth 2 million quid. Fantastic business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great work from Gallen to bring Bonne in for £200k and sell on for £2m one season later. £1.8m profit is very good work at this level, and Bonne is easily replaceable.
  • Options
    We are Charlton and £2m for a hit m miss striker is fine.
  • Options
    I have to say that QPR shirt is one of the tackiest I have ever seen.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    We are Charlton, super Charlton, and £2m for a hit m miss striker is fine.
  • Options
    Would Bonne of made a difference tomorrow? Doubt it with his strike record and current form.  2 mil is good business for us, name the last sale out we came out on top with?

Would of expected the Danish fella by now though, never mind.
  • Options
    Made an impression at the club when he wasn't expected to. 11 goals in a relegated side, having only played 2/3 of the season is a very good return.

Great deal for Macca and good business for CAFC. 
  • Options
    Bonne is one of those strikers who was ok at everything needed for that position (hold-up, aerial, finishing, pressing etc.) but not exceptional at anything.  I'm sure any reported £2m deal is heavily weighted towards add-ons but either way it's ridiculously good business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gona miss bonne . Who do u guys think we gona replace him with???  We need commited players like him 100% and so many happy to him go. foolish thinking me thinks. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It’s only good business if we can more than replace him, I thought the other week that QPR had put in a bid for 500k whether QPR have to get promotion to the premier league for us to see to see 2 mill I don’t know, unlikely to be all up front.

Still interested to see what’s going to happen to Dillon Philips, whether he stays or goes?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Decent bit of business IF we sign some goal scorers.

Worked hard and was a trier but needed 7 opportunities to score- shows he had good positional sense and created the right chances for himself and going to a club in a better position as back up/ rotation striker may afford him the luxury of time to work on his finishing and improve his chance/ to goal ratio.

He's not had that with us as pretty much got thrown in on arrival due to necessity.  Our need is more urgent in terms of getting players in now who will net chances rather than long term prospects.

Good luck Macauley. A decent striker in there.
    Good post. Definitely a decent striker in there, we see him miss a lot of chances but as you say he has great positional sense to find the space & be in position to miss those chances. Disappointed that we bring in maddison who would be sticking lots of balls into the box for someone who scored 11 goals last season to get on the end of but there you are. Yes good business buying for 200k IF the deal is as reported around 2m or does that include lots of add ons. The thing that really pisses me off is selling a striker before at least bringing in one as replacement. So we now have one senior striker at the club & while for sure there are probably plenty of strikers out there how many good strikers are available who want to play for 2k a week ? I would have preferred to bring in a striker & kept Bonne as a back up but money talks I guess.

Edit. Having just read his statement about his head was turned ( or was it his scummy agents head?) as soon as heard of qpr interest then good riddance though would still have liked to get a replacement through the door first.
    Most of the misses people are talking about are the 1 on 1's, not a ball flashing across the box that he blasts over. A bit more composure, or a natural strikers ability to put the ball away & we wouldn't have got relegated. Super Clive was not quick so needed to use his nous to score goals when put through. He got a fair number of pens by going round the keeper & drawing a foul - rather than trying to slot it past, under or over the keeper. 
    Clive Mendonca ???  You're having a laugh, how can you compare a youngish lad coming out of non league football with Clive Mendonca. We were shopping in the Poundland of the football world, we were buying potential, a work in progress. He was thrown into the deep end because of injuries. He isn't & never will be a Clive Mendonca but he scored 11 goals coming from the National League to the Championship for a relegated team & despite missing many other chances he had a good season for us. He compared very well with the records of the rest of the strikers in the championship. Instead of blaming the player who according to you & others isn't good enough maybe the blame should lie with LB & SG for bringing him to the club in the first place. ( & obviously that is not my view). Lets see how we do tomorrow without him. 
  • Options
    MattF said:

Any messages for the doubters Macca?
  • Options
    Nothing against MB at all but I’ll be surprised if he features very much for them.
  • Options
    He'll feature a lot to start with.  If they can supply him he'll score goals.  Problem is his runs and hold up play don't occupy defenders, so if as last season QPR can be out competed he may struggle.  Personally think he could succeed but Bowyer's formation has to play with a striker that can hold up play and pull defenders out of position.  Just like Djiksteel happy with this one.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Bonne’s hold up play looked good enough mid season.  I think he’ll do well in a side that has more or the ball; something we were lacking when Gallagher went.. yet he still scored goals .  Decent money on paper but I will reserve judgement until we get two good forwards in.  At the moment, we only have Washington and Big Josh D as regularly appearing options. 
  • Options
    Not sure how many games he’ll start given this comment from Warburton...