Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Has he passed the medical yet? It’s not a done deal until he does and he had those heart issues earlier in the year. Would be a red flag for me if I were QPR
    Think those heart issues was about playing in div 1,bet his heart feels better back in the Championship with a wage increase 
  • Options
    Was going to say I wouldn't call it great or fantastic news just smart business, but after his "head was turned" comment and the fact lots have said he looked uninterested then glad to get rid tbh.

Good deal all round, not a bad return on our fee and if it means we get 2 forwards in then great, hopefully one that will be able to hit the target more regularly than 1 in 8 chances....
    This.  'Head turned' is a huge red flag, it's a disrupter and has been for years (Parker through to Taylor, and plenty of others along the way).  It's a dilemma for any manager, do you stick or twist. 

The key is to replace quickly & effectively.  We replaced Killer with...Tony Burman.  We replaced Bowyer with Brendan O' Connell, then after a wasted year got Kins in and never looked back.  With TS and Gallen you've got to think that  they know this, and will get replacements (Maddison signing a proof point). Of course it's a risk, but so was relying on Bonne given the head-turn and absence of a league goal so far
    If we sign, for example, that Exeter right back, he'll say exactly the same things

"I was really happy at Exeter, but when a club the size of Charlton shows interest, your head is turned. They're a massive club, Premier League facilities" etc
    Exactly - this is football.  Hence Bowyer ----> Kins.  (or put it another way, we got Kins, Clive and Matty Holmes with the Bowyer money).  If Bonne does well his head will be turned again when Prem clubs sniff around.  We just have to get up (at least) one level so that we're selling for £20m not £2m. But - sorry if this shocks some of you - we are very unlikely to get onto the same level as Real and Barca, so in onw way we'll always be a selling club for our very best players
  • Options
    Good luck Macauley, at least he tried for us and didn't demand a move.
  • Options
    He was rushed in because of Taylor's injury , but did a good job up front on his own . The home match against Doncaster he looked Sunday league    . Good luck Macca  .
  • Options
    In his defence Bonne managed to get into plenty of scoring positions. 
    Unfortunately he then went on to miss most of them.
    I wish him well at QPR as he comes across as a decent bloke. 
    But if letting him go for 2 million means we can bring in 2 new strikers I reckon Bowyer and Gallen will have come out on top.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Result , utter chuff 
    he wont get 10 goals for them (excluding pens) this season
    He got 11 excluding pens for us and we were shit. 
    Nicky Ajose got 24 for Swindon ... we then signed him 
    Ajose's goals weren't in the league above. 
  • Options
    I think we'll see him do well. It's the right move for all now as obviously something has happened to sour his relationship towards us.
  • Options
    A tosser? A prick? Disrespectful?

All these insults just for saying that his 'head was turned.'

What does that even mean? It's a nothing comment.

Jeeeeeeez, some people on here are very touchy.

He came in unexpectedly when we were desperate, gave his all, and scored goals. Good luck to him.
        Totally agree Jimmy with everything you say
        Good luck to the lad, and if he starts scoring lots 
        Of goals for QPR maybe we got it wrong.
        As regards to some of our fans frustrated  remarks that’s normal for any football club to have fans who slag off first before engaging the limited 
    brains some of them possess 😂😂
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Result , utter chuff 
    he wont get 10 goals for them (excluding pens) this season
    He got 11 excluding pens for us and we were shit. 
    Nicky Ajose got 24 for Swindon ... we then signed him 
    Ajose's goals weren't in the league above. 
    Ajose scored goals in the same league we signed him to play in and he was a flop ...

Bonne scored goals in the same league he is about to play in .

I’m saying it’s possible that players have a one off good season and can be shit 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Really don't get the "we've pulled their pants down" stuff. He's a gamble by QPR but £2m in the Championship is hardly going to send them into admin if he doesn't work out. Wasn't KAG about the same price? Admittedly that was to a PL team do an inflated fee there but one that was already planning for the Championship plus he had only one good season in L1. Price seems about right for both clubs imo.
    QPR are not the sort of club that take £2m gambles. He is not a natural finisher like KAG based upon what I’ve seen to date. Will be amazed if he exceeds his return of last season and expect him to be in and out of the team with minimal impact.
    He'll do a job for them though

Lydon Dykes is their main striker anyway, I don't know if Bonne would play alongside him or is cover
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m a bit sad to see him go, but it’s a good profit and if we’re going to continue playing in this formation then Bonne isn’t suited to it. He needs a strike partner alongside him and he’s not really equipped to play as the lone striker yet. Depends which two strikers we get in now as to whether this was the right deal
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Really don't get the "we've pulled their pants down" stuff. He's a gamble by QPR but £2m in the Championship is hardly going to send them into admin if he doesn't work out. Wasn't KAG about the same price? Admittedly that was to a PL team do an inflated fee there but one that was already planning for the Championship plus he had only one good season in L1. Price seems about right for both clubs imo.
    QPR are not the sort of club that take £2m gambles. He is not a natural finisher like KAG based upon what I’ve seen to date. Will be amazed if he exceeds his return of last season and expect him to be in and out of the team with minimal impact.
    They also signed Dickie from Oxford for over £2m, 1 game in the Championship. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    MattF said:
    Think we upset his missus

All very sensitive these days aren't they. Tell your fella to win a header, might be cut some slack.
    Looks like Chloe comes out of the same mould as Southall's old woman.
  • Options
    Good deal for once,well done Charlton.

Any sell on for ORIENT?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    MattF said:

All very sensitive these days aren't they. Tell your fella to win a header, might be cut some slack.
    At least she works for a living. Think she just passed her nail exam 💅🏻
  • Options
    I don't suppose those awful missed chances at the end of last season have kept him awake at night. Clearly not good enough and although he will no doubt shine for the first couple of games at QPR he will then sink into their mediocre player-pool there and just count the money.Bows only falls out with those not prepared to improve or work for the squad. Thanks but off you go.
  • Options
    £2 million for Bonne is a decent deal.

We're no longer in a position where we need to sell, so Bowyer & Gallen obviously think it's a decent deal too
  • Options

Looking through the comments about 60% are pleased he has gone. I can't think its good business as we aren't cash strapped now are we? Assume its freed up some wages under the cap, but I wouldn't have thought he was on much coming from non league.

I thought he did well, playing several levels higher than he was used to, in a team that punched above its  weight and created few chances. Thought his work rate was good. So, sad to see him go. I think he will improve and its a shame we won't benefit from what he has learnt in his time with us.

The head turning comment was a usual crass cliché they all use, so not bothered. The comments by his missus show a distinct lack of class - if she has been upset by Addicks' comments she ain't seen nothin yet.

As others have commented we await Bowyer/Gallen's next move to see if it was good business or not. Given Chuk's injury record I think we need two new strikers.

Why are we automatically assuming her comments are directed at us?

He was rejected by Colchester apparently as 'not good enough' for league football so perhaps she is referring to them as he fought his way back and beyond.
  • Options
    The finances look good for us and if his head was turned that easily then best that he moves on. Whether it's good for us as a team (and I think it will be) depends very much on who we bring in. Let's hope Bows and Gallen work their magic.
  • Options
    I think it’s a great deal for us now and could be an even better one for QPR in the future. He only needs to go on a good run and get in double figures and they can more than double that. His potential is there to be seen but after such a poor run I definitely understand moving on, providing we’ve got replacements lined up. It’d be nice to see the 2 mil pumped back in for once. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    MattF said:

At least she works for a living. Think she just passed her nail exam 💅🏻
    I'll have to get in touch with her regards my toenails.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    Feels weird for us to sell one of our players for something approaching market rate. 
    Feels even weirder thinking that the profit might find be injected back into the club raher than someone's pocket
    Who was the last Charlton owner who took money out of the club (bar ESI, but they didn't sell anyone to pay for it)? 
    Roland.
  • Options
    ‘Head turned’ my arse! He knows he’s been playing shit so is trying to make excuses for it rather than admit to the true reason for his bad form - the fact that he is a very mediocre footballer indeed who, imho, was lucky to get as many goals as he did last year.

He has to work too hard at his game to be average for me to believe he’ll ever be anything special.

I’m confident he’ll be replaced with a better striker or two before the window closes.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Don't want tattooed players at our club. Not the Charlton way.  Good riddance.
    57 lols - no stopping you now is there Rodders?!

• Options
    Absolutely amazed that we managed to get £2m for him, he needs 6 or 7 chances to grab a goal, which is a bit of a punt for an established championship team. Good luck to the guy though, he worked hard for us and if he had that bit of extra quality then he would have kept us up.