Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Iceland / Denmark (Foden & Greenwood in trouble)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Always going to be difficult when there hasn't been a competitive game for two months

International teams are basically playing an friendly on behalf of the club teams this Int. break

Swindon v Charlton wasnt much better, scoreline flattered the game!!
  • Options
    Same old, we really struggle to break down teams when they just sit back, even with Sterling. Sancho and Foden starting. 

Kane was terrible, looked like he’d never played football before, no idea why he stayed on so late. 
  • Options
    Same old, we really struggle to break down teams when they just sit back, even with Sterling. Sancho and Foden starting. 

Kane was terrible, looked like he’d never played football before, no idea why he stayed on so late. 
    To be fair we learnt to deal with it in Qualifying as a lot of teams would sit back against us

Iceland though just appear to be masters of dealing with us

At least thats our main real problem compared with the other Home Nations
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Don’t know what it is about England games, but as fans we seem to hold them to completely different standards than are sensible half the time.

Even if we go and beat a team like San Marino 5-0, people will say “Shite, should be getting at least 7 or 8”.

Even if we get to a World Cup Semi Final, there will always be the crowd that says “well, it was an easy run in”.

If Harry Kane wins the fucking Golden Boot, it’s “well, he was playing pub teams”.

I don’t know if it’s because of some sort of dislike/jealousy for top level players, but it’s something that as a country we simply cannot shake. 
    Southgate has dealt with the club tribalism that infected the squad in the past couple of decades

Unfortunately it doesnt look like its ever going to happen with the fans
  • Options
    Southgate doesn't seem like he has a clue to be honest. 
    Based on?

He's achieved 4th at the world cup, 3rd in the Nations league and strolled through Euro qualifying scoring 37 goals in 8 games.

But because we didn't smash Iceland despite half our team not having played for a month, he's suddenly clueless?
    The latest one is we lose to anyone of note under Southgate

His defeats involve: Belgium | Germany | France | Spain | Holland | Croatia | Czech Republic

Those in bold are the only two that Southgate hasnt gotten a result against in another fixture

We've only faced France once under him too, that 3-2 game @ Wembley so he's not really had a chance to put it right
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Don’t know what it is about England games, but as fans we seem to hold them to completely different standards than are sensible half the time.

Even if we go and beat a team like San Marino 5-0, people will say “Shite, should be getting at least 7 or 8”.

Even if we get to a World Cup Semi Final, there will always be the crowd that says “well, it was an easy run in”.

If Harry Kane wins the fucking Golden Boot, it’s “well, he was playing pub teams”.

I don’t know if it’s because of some sort of dislike/jealousy for top level players, but it’s something that as a country we simply cannot shake. 
    Not sure that’s fair. No doubt a few say that, but your speaking like that’s the majority opinion, which I don’t think is true. 
  • Options
    I just think Southgate is the FA's man and was chosen as such.

We will do nothing with him except qualify well from groups then bottle tournaments.  Hold on, we've been doing that for years!

If that's enough for the powers it ain't for the supporters.
  • Options

To be fair we learnt to deal with it in Qualifying as a lot of teams would sit back against us

Iceland though just appear to be masters of dealing with us

At least thats our main real problem compared with the other Home Nations
    We struggle to much I think, I thought Foden should have played a little higher up. That being said, it was like a pre season friendly yesterday so there’s probably an excuse. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Southgate did a great job in changing our set up, but I don't think he's the right man to take us to the next level.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I don’t see it as dislike/jealousy at all. Surely, it’s pure expectation from fans. As a country we have an incredible wealth of talented players, and a a group they rarely reach the expectations of fans. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    cafctom said:

I don’t see it as dislike/jealousy at all. Surely, it’s pure expectation from fans. As a country we have an incredible wealth of talented players, and a a group they rarely reach the expectations of fans. 
    Well then it’s the expectations of fans which are the problem. We’ve not won a major tournament in over 50 years, so why should we always expect to win?

Yes the country is starting to produce some very good youngsters but then again so are many other countries. As good as our players are - the likes of Spain, Belgium, France, Italy, Brazil etc have just as many. And guess what? We’re partly responsible for that...

What makes me laugh are the fans of the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea etc who get the hump about England even though one of the main reasons English players struggle to get regular football in the Premier League is because of their clubs’ desperation to go and spend hundreds of millions of pounds on foreign players 
  • Options
    I think it's the opposite. If the best foreign players play in England then the England internationals get to play with them every week. That wasn't the case for Hoddle and Waddle for example. The very best England players went abroad instead.

It's just that the best European leagues are like world leagues. Some of the England players simply get filtered down to lower teams but not many. It should help more than hinder, and this is why fans are frustrated.

The Iceland players are Championship level and the England players Premier League. We should be expected to win.
  • Options
    Sounds like Foden & Greenwood could be in trouble for breaching quarantine rules by bringing some females into their room after the game.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/07/icelandic-reports-release-footage-phil-foden-mason-greenwood/
  • Options
    Sounds like Foden & Greenwood could be in trouble for breaching quarantine rules by bringing some females into their room after the game.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/07/icelandic-reports-release-footage-phil-foden-mason-greenwood/
    Sounds like they've both been removed from the England squad

They'll learn!!... Proof continues that Southgate wont suffer any fools in his team
  • Options
    a lot moaning about it, but if i was away with work and done similar i would likely be in trouble. 

is it really that difficult to not get your leg over one weekend, these players can clean up in every bar they walk into every weekend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Foden should worry about how Pep reacts to this, he won't be amused 
  • Options
    The fact they are young and inexperienced will be used as a bit of an excuse. But both players have just made their debuts so for me, it's stupid and disrespectful. 
  • Options
    Doesnt Foden have a missus and a kid?
  • Options
    Stupid behaviour. I’d be surprised if they were the only ones who’ve done it though.

• Options
    Yes he does. His son was born in 2019. The lad is in deep trouble 
  • Options
    exactly proper dog behaviour - of course he may not of done anything but chances of that are slim. 
  • Options
    Send them home. It is a honour to represent your country, not an excuse for a bunk up. 
  • Options
    Send them home. It is a honour to represent your country, not an excuse for a bunk up. 
    They've been sent home. If they have to now quarantine for 14 days their clubs will be absolutely furious. And rightly so.