Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL Trophy 2020/2021

Comments

• Options
    Blucher said:
    cafctom said:
    I’m sure there were many fixtures in this competition with attendances less than 1,000 over the past few years. Infact quite a few clubs broke their own records for lowest ever attendance for a competitive fixture with this competition.

The only reason I can think of for why it continues is purely due to some sort of funding/arse licking of the Premier League clubs involved 
    Agreed. The introduction of Category 1 Under 23 teams was the result of serious toadying to the Premier League for rejecting the idea of Premier League 'B teams' joining the pyramid in the lower leagues. This idiotic proposal was suggested by Greg Dyke (doubtless at the behest of the Premier League barons) whilst he was coming to the end of his tenure as FA Chairman. Our pyramid structure is the one really distinctive feature of the English game, something to be proud of and something that is very much admired all over Europe. The use of Greg Dyke as a mouthpiece just about sums up how totally irrelevant the FA now are.

The EFL Cup clearly does not have a sponsor, now that Checkatrade and Leasing.com have moved on.
    https://www.espn.co.uk/football/johnstones-paint-trophy/story/2904442/fans-unhappy-over-under-23-team-plans-for-efl-trophy

The whole thing is a waste of time for Charlton, save maybe for giving a few youth players in the Under 23s a taste of something a little different.

Given the financial pressures on League 1 and 2 squads post-Covid, I'm really surprised that clubs have been saddled with a minimum of 3 extra fixtures in September. The salary cap also drives a move towards smaller squads, so it's even more of a nonsense.
    They won't be playing in the Tin Pot Cup. They'll be given a rest after playing in the League.
  • Options
    Probably cheaper for the clubs if crowds are not allowed in.
  • Options
    Do the Premier League clubs have a reserve team competition, did it used to be the Football Combination.

If they haven't then about time they organised on, got enough money. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Do the Premier League clubs have a reserve team competition, did it used to be the Football Combination.

There has been some U23 Premier Cup that Ive seen us involved in over the last few years - Dont recall seeing any mention of it last season though 
  • Options
    Personally want nothing to do with promoting the EFL - wouldn't go even if you paid me. Organisation is just not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

The Premier League Reserve League and the old Football Combination packed up in 2012 (according to Wiki).

These days everything gets fudged through the U23 league: got a player out of form? Hasn't played for a while?Coming back through injury ? Play him as an over-age player against the kids.

With the amount of money that's swilling around at the top end of the game surely a bit could be set aside for a proper Twos comp? Not only would it allow senior players to have higher quality games when out of the first team it would be an extra step up for the youngsters before reaching the bright lights of the Ones.
  • Options
    Brighton and Hove Albion U23's join us in our Group

Quite appropriate given the support their fans have given us on Social Media with #SaveCAFC
  • Options
    That was really worth the extra wait
  • Options
    Jeez how am I meant to sleep tonight hearing that, soooooo exciting, can't wait!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Perhaps the game against BHA will give LB a chance to see if there are any players we could loan, after all, last season went well with BHA players  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hate this competiton, only charlton matches I don't care if we lose 
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that the first game for this was so early, we play Wimbledon  on the 8th September, that's another match before the league starts
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that the first game for this was so early, we play Wimbledon  on the 8th September, that's another match before the league starts
    Another pre-season friendly then perhaps?

Hope not in a way as means we might take it a bit more seriously
  • Options

A lot depends on player fitness and sharpness. If we make a few late signings, they might need the match practice
  • Options
    Calling these first-class fixtures is one of the many ridiculous things that happens in football.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Sandwiched between the Swindon cup game and the first league game, i can't imagine we'll be too fussed about it. Bowyer will probably use the game to give those who didn't play at Swindon some game time.

Surely we'll go first XI for Swindon and the league game and Wimbledon will be back up players and U23s.
  • Options

Sandwiched between the Swindon cup game and the first league game, i can't imagine we'll be too fussed about it. Bowyer will probably use the game to give those who didn't play at Swindon some game time.

Surely we'll go first XI for Swindon and the league game and Wimbledon will be back up players and U23s.
    So in a curious way we (and I imagine Swindon) will end up playing a stronger team in the EFL Cup than we might have done if it has been sandwiched between 2 league fixtures

You imagine Wimbledon will also play a backup side in the midweek fixture
  • Options
    It's unlikely that the new Wimbledon ground will be ready for the 8th September, so it may have to be played elsewhere
  • Options
    If the pitch is ready they could play it if no spectators allowed.
  • Options
    It's unlikely that the new Wimbledon ground will be ready for the 8th September, so it may have to be played elsewhere
    Centre Court?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wimbledon groundsharing at Loftus Road
  • Options
    This game has been brought forward to Tuesday 1st September at 5:30pm, a week and a half before the season starts properly!
  • Options
    Proof that neither side give a shit
  • Options
    Hope we give a full youth team x1 a run out and not a single senior player. Take anu fine and hold it back from the EFL until they sort out our club. Hate the competition and the format even before the patronising addition of the PL U23s.
  • Options
    Hope we give a full youth team x1 a run out and not a single senior player. Take anu fine and hold it back from the EFL until they sort out our club. Hate the competition and the format even before the patronising addition of the PL U23s.
    If it's the first game of the season there is no baseline for who is a first team player, play a bunch of kids, then hopefully the takeover goes through and we loan a few of them out, and sign some players, then a couple of the others still here have "niggles" on the first game in the league and suddenly we've made 9/10 changes but stuck to the rules
  • Options
    Or just take the fine and fuck the EFL
  • Options
    Except we can't do that due to only being allowed 23 players including kids!

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/89746/bowyer-on-why-we-can-t-sign-players#latest

It's a pre season warm up match, no more, no less. 
  • Options
    Total waste of time and pointless, but can we go to the game? 
  • Options
    Total waste of time and pointless, but can we go to the game? 
    Can you go to any game in September? Nope 
  • Options
    Urghhhh why are we back in this competition again, think being in it is one of the worst things about being in League one.

Add to that last season we were playing Fulhams first team, now we will possibly play their youth team(and probably lose)

The dates for the 2020/21 EFL Trophy are as follows:

• Matchday 1 - September 8th/9th 2020

• Matchday 2 - October 6th/7th 2020

• Matchday 3 - November 10th/11th 2020

• Round of 32 - December 8th/9th 2020

• Round of 16 - January 12th/13th 2021

• Quarter-Finals - February 2nd/3rd 2021

• Semi-Finals - 16/17 February 16th/17th 2021

• Final - March 14th 2021

Category One Invited Clubs taking part in the 2020/21 EFL Trophy competition have now been confirmed and are as follows: 

• Arsenal • Aston Villa • Brighton & Hove Albion

• Chelsea • Fulham • Leeds United

• Leicester City • Liverpool • Manchester City

• Manchester United • Newcastle United • Norwich City (EFL)

• Southampton • West Bromwich Albion • West Ham United

• Wolverhampton Wanderers

The Group Stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday, August 18th at 1.30pm on TalkSPORT 2.  

Would quite like it if we won this tournament... You know seeing as we've been the best club in it a couple of times and lost too early