Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer on why we can’t sign players

New EFL rules mean we’re allowed 23 senior players, with a senior player being defined as someone who has played as little as 15 minutes of first team football.

That means the likes of Vennings and Dempsey are considered first team players. We need to let players go to free up space in the squad.

We may need to avoid giving young players their first team debut as they’ll then take up a first team squad place.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-lee-bowyer-opens-up-on-efl-transfer-embargo-and-reveals-why-charlton-cant-sign-players/

Comments

• Another stupid af rule 
  • So if we play a youth centre half to cover for the fact that we've lost Naby, Pearce and potentially Lockyer for the opening game we'll actually have 24 senior players and it will be even more difficult to bring players in? Do the EFL ever stop and think abut who their embargoes actually affect? All this does is make the club a nonviable prospect in the competition, it doesn't punish these fake owners - that their regulations don't allow them to prevent from owning the club - it just punishes the club and the fans. Non-football staff will lose their jobs if Charlton continue to spiral downwards, do they not have any appreciation of that?
  • I can see their point, though. We've had 7 months to sort this mess out and have made no progress.
  • What we need to do is get Sandgaard in as soon as possible. The damage ESI have done, simply in terms of the football side is incredible. These crooks have to make it as easy for Thoams as possible and fcuk off.
  • So if we loaned out 5 kids (Dempsey, Vennings, Henry, Quitirna and Wiredu) they'd let us sign 5 new players?
  • It is unbelievable and just gets worse and worse. This season will have to he a write off where the hope is we do not get relegated. Then go again next year, hopefully under a stable owner. The EFL have helped cause this by letting all these idiots take control of our club. Until the legal merry go round stops we are in limbo. We just have to hope Bowyer stays. Who wants to watch this rubbish though? Getting battered by the likes of Crewe and Lincoln because we are not allowed to sign players only hurts the fans. Who wants to watxh that on a stream?
  • I think there is an urgency to get ESI out. It is insulting to us fans that PE and CF are appealing when they failed the tests which brings this shit on Bowyer and us. They had a chance and muffed it, probably because it is impossible to hide the fact that you are a bunch of crooks. We need somebody who can come in and can pass relatively simple tests (as long as you have the money). All of ESI have been a total disgrace, They are responsible for our relegation and I am not allowed to say what each and every one of them, bar none, deserve.
  • So if we loaned out 5 kids (Dempsey, Vennings, Henry, Quitirna and Wiredu) they'd let us sign 5 new players?
    Plus Maynard Brewer ? It will also mean that the likes of Mingi will not get a chance .

I am confused because I thought U21 players didn't count in these calculations .
  • Sponsored links:

Probably not... They'd claim we've only loaned them out so are still on our books
  • What a bunch of King Cnuts
  • At first I thought this is a ridiculous decision, but basically it applies to us and not other clubs and it is up to us to sort ourselves out not the EFL. We have a squad big enough to put out a team which is probably all they are bothered about. What we should be critical of the EFL about is why they are delaying the PE appeal. They don't seem to go out of their way to help.
  • I can almost hear the EFL unzipping in preparation to fuck us each time.
  • I assume the logic is that we don't have proof of funds, so they limit us to a squad size that doesn't push our spending beyond our means. Which sort of makes sense when viewed in complete isolation, and ignores the fact that the details aren't realistic and countless clubs don't obey many of the EFL rules. You get the feeling that EFL are like the Tax Office - once they have their teeth in you they keep on biting. Unless you are big enough to fight back, then they leave you alone
  • I can see their point, though. We've had 7 months to sort this mess out and have made no progress.
    Unfortunately I think you're right. What else are the EFL supposed to do, let us carry on as normal and sign as many players as we want when we STILL haven't adhered to the league rules and passed all of the relevant tests? 

Say we sign someone then knock the club we bought them from for the money. The fans of that club could - quite rightly - then blame the EFL for allowing us to buy the player in the first place when we haven't been playing by the rules.

The EFL get a lot of stick and most of it is justified. But on this occasion I don't really see what they've done wrong, as much as that hurts us fans.
  • I'm a bit confused, does this restriction go away if embargo is lifted? Bowyer's "all the money in the world" suggests not, but maybe I've misunderstood...
  • Off_it said:
    I can see their point, though. We've had 7 months to sort this mess out and have made no progress.
    Unfortunately I think you're right. What else are the EFL supposed to do, let us carry on as normal and sign as many players as we want when we STILL haven't adhered to the league rules and passed all of the relevant tests? 

Say we sign someone then knock the club we bought them from for the money. The fans of that club could - quite rightly - then blame the EFL for allowing us to buy the player in the first place when we haven't been playing by the rules.

The EFL get a lot of stick and most of it is justified. But on this occasion I don't really see what they've done wrong, as much as that hurts us fans.
    Surely that falls under the fact we can only offer limited wages compared to everyone else though?

Whats the point of one punishment if this one over rules that one
  • It's just another way to help out the bigger clubs, the Premier League have squads of 25 nominated players at least 8 have to be homegrown, but under 21's don't count towards that number. So they can just hoover up any decent players out there, pay them 5x what we can to be in the academy and then send them back out on loan to clubs like us. 

1.3k a week maximum wages and we can't sign anyone anyway because 16-17 year olds with 1 appearance to their names are now Senior players? Ridiculous 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm a bit confused, does this restriction go away if embargo is lifted? Bowyer's "all the money in the world" suggests not, but maybe I've misunderstood...
    I thought the same, this appears to be a rule for the league and relates to the salary cap rather than our embargo.
    Yes

This is all about our specific embargo, as even with our ESI budget we would be able to sign players
  • I thought the squad size applied to every team?
  • In retrospect, was Gilbey a sensible buy? A good player yes, but we already have plenty of midfielders, it's in defence where we're really short
  • In retrospect, was Gilbey a sensible buy? A good player yes, but we already have plenty of midfielders, it's in defence where we're really short
    We needed a goalscoring box to box midfielder. We just need to sell or loan out some of the young players, but I’d imagine they’re sort of deals that are more likely to be done towards the end of the window.
  • edited August 2020
    Blucher said:
    This is absolutely bonkers and must trump all the EFL's other idiotic decisions. Their proposal also involves, I believe, a proposal to cut squads in 2021/22 to 20 players, which will further exacerbate the situation. How on earth are clubs expected to cope with injuries over a minimum 51 game season ? We had 13 or 14 players out towards the end of last year.

Picking up @Richard J's point, I wonder if the U21s don't count towards the £2.5million salary cap but do so in terms of the maximum squad number ? So, Aaron Henry, who is still 16, is going to count as a first team squad member after his FA Cup appearance last January, even though he's too young to sign a professional contract ? Do me a favour.

Given that Wigan is the first case of administration for several years - and that was the result of illogical owner misconduct - you have to ask yourself what the EFL are trying to achieve here. It also militates strongly against clubs like ours who invest in their academies and give young players a chance. On the contrary, it could well lead to young lads being moved out of clubs in order to create slots for more experienced players.

It is crazy and Lee Bowyer is absolutely right to draw media attention to it. Why on earth can't clubs nominate players for their squads, as happens in the Premier League ?
    This ruling is only because of our embargo though.

As much as the EFL are useless, as we can argue it's their own fault for allowing takeovers by owners BEFORE they do any checks, i can sort of see their point. 

We have one set of owners (ESI 1) who never provided source of funds and another proposed owner (ESI 2) who failed the OADT. It's not really a surprise the EFL won't let us go and sign 5/6/7 players when they don't even know if our owners can fund the club beyond next week. If they let us sign half a new team and Sandgaard walks away next week, then what?

Also the new proposal to cut squads in 2021/22 to 20 players is for over 21 players. Squads will be able to feature an unlimited number of U21 players. So if we were not under an embargo the likes of Dempsey, Vennings, Doughty, Morgan and Davison wouldn't count towards the total of 20.
  • If we loan the younger guys out does that free up space ? 
    what happens if we have an injury crisis like last year and lose 10 players - we cant put out a team ? 
    There has got to be some flexibility in this or it doesnt work 
  • Puts us in an even harder position, guess we might have to sell Phillips (Amos is a fine number 1 at this level), just to free up space. 

• So if by some miracle we won League 1 would the EFL give every player who has played 1 game as a sub for 5 mins a winners medal?