Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2020/21 Champions League

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Won’t there be thousands of Sponsors and Broadcasters coming in from all over the place when the Euros start just a week later?
    I thought there was an agreed protocol for that (including quarantine for broadcast teams from higher risk countries that will be based in the UK)? In the instance of the Champions League final UEFA basically wanted quarantine rules waived which the government don’t want to agree to. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    se9addick said:
    Seems ridiculous, it should be moved 100%. Wembley or a neutral venue ie. Villa Park. I know Portugal is on the list but surely its better to have less travel? still as long as it gets moved i suppose. 
    I think the UK government aren’t up for having sponsors/media from all over the world coming into the country without having to quarantine (if they are coming in from a red/amber list country) and I can understand that. It would probably make more sense for us to have 8,000 of our people to travel to a relatively “safe” country like Portugal than have 2,000 people from all over the world, including high risk countries, come here with no real effective controls in place. 

Why Portugal would be up for it is a bit of a mystery to me

Y€s, m€ too
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Seems ridiculous, it should be moved 100%. Wembley or a neutral venue ie. Villa Park. I know Portugal is on the list but surely its better to have less travel? still as long as it gets moved i suppose. 
    I think the UK government aren’t up for having sponsors/media from all over the world coming into the country without having to quarantine (if they are coming in from a red/amber list country) and I can understand that. It would probably make more sense for us to have 8,000 of our people to travel to a relatively “safe” country like Portugal than have 2,000 people from all over the world, including high risk countries, come here with no real effective controls in place. 

Why Portugal would be up for it is a bit of a mystery to me. 
    Same reason any government is up for anything:
    💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    se9addick said:

Y€s, m€ too
    se9addick said:

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
    Is there really much money for the host country of a Champions League final that will have a capacity smaller than the Valley? I get in normal times it’s a pretty lucrative affair, but surely the revenue available from this final isn’t worth the potential risk if UEFA want people rocking up from all over the world without having to quarantine. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    IdleHans said:
    se9addick said:

Y€s, m€ too
    se9addick said:

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
    Is there really much money for the host country of a Champions League final that will have a capacity smaller than the Valley? I get in normal times it’s a pretty lucrative affair, but surely the revenue available from this final isn’t worth the potential risk if UEFA want people rocking up from all over the world without having to quarantine. 
    I imagine the Portuguese government and the British government are trying to suss out how much money they can squeeze out of UEFA - they’ve got them over a barrel. They’ll certainly lay it on thick about the dangers of foreigners coming over, potentially spreading COVID. Whichever government undercuts the other will get the gig. But whichever country does get the final will have quite a few extra euros in their pocket, make no mistake about it. 
  • Options
    Has been confirmed that the Final will now be held in Porto instead of Istanbul 
  • Options
    Fans will have to fly in and out on chartered flights.
    Stay in a bubble situation and be in and out of the country in 48 hours.

(Sounds like Swansea A except that was 6 hours).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Pity the poor sods going by coach in that case ;)
  • Options
    Ha, can you imagine Daniel Levy doing that?
  • Options
    Come on City
  • Options
    Great to see 7 English players starting tonight.
    Hope they all come through unscathed 
  • Options
    Come on City 
  • Options
    2 foreign managers deliberately trying to tire out and injure the English players to screw us in the Euros  ;)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ha, can you imagine Daniel Levy doing that?
    True but there's a big difference between a guy who isn't even his clubs owner v a guy who pretty much rules an entire state.
  • Options
    Big concern about one of them. Sterling had an absolute torrid time in 2018 World Cup. For the last two and half years has been England & City main man. Now he’s so bang out of form it’s ridiculous. Reece James did an absolute number on him and was very impressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before this season I would have said Sterling has to start but agree he is out of form and probably best coming on from the bench 
  • Options
    Big concern about one of them. Sterling had an absolute torrid time in 2018 World Cup. For the last two and half years has been England & City main man. Now he’s so bang out of form it’s ridiculous. Reece James did an absolute number on him and was very impressive.
    I’d never seen Reece James play before last night, couldn’t believe how he kept Sterling in his pocket. Chilwell on the other side of the pitch was even better!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Before this season I would have said Sterling has to start but agree he is out of form and probably best coming on from the bench 
    quick, modern defenders now know how to cope with him
  • Options
    2 foreign managers deliberately trying to tire out and injure the English players to screw us in the Euros  ;)
    It turned out that it was the non English players with the injuries, Thiago limping off in the first half, and De Bruyne with a fractured nose and eye socket