Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Just check out Jason Pearce's twitter post to Conor calling him "one of the good guys"
    Every split has good guys on both sides, just depends who you ask......
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Mental releasing him, no way in he'll will we get a better player as third choice, and I'd like to think that is probably what he would have been

More to him than meets the eye.  A number of coaching staff were highly un complimentary  of him, his attitude and his whinging.  
    Yes he tried hard on matchday  but was a pain and troublemaker on many other occasions.

we don’t need divisive factions we need a fucking team!
    I always thought he’d be banter and I sponsored the Burton game and he was man of the match and when I say he was a proper miserable git with zero banter/personality that’s talking him up .
    Mrs was in another lounge with kids and said he didn’t wanna do the pictures and was moody .

I put it down to he may have just had some off field shit going on but it really surprised me and I was ten pints in and usually the players like it when we sing their name in the lounge but he totally blanked us … 
    swisdom saying that makes me think maybe he is an odd one 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Pearce turned on both Bowyer and Adkins. For that I have doubts about his word. 
    How did he turn on them? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean they're absolutely going to finish 24th, barring Birmingham's hearteningly ongoing trajectory
    That’ll still be at least 7-places higher than us you zoink…
  • Options
    Good luck to Connor. Martin’s laptop software suggests he’s not good enough for us and we are left to question the wisdom of those fools from Championship Rotherham. 
    In Martin and Pater we trust!
  • Options
    Wish Conor all the best at Rotherham, think he will do well there.
    Never wanted him to go, a fully fit Conor and Jayden would of provided a lot of goals for us.! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I liked Conor Washington, hard worker and one of the few players we had with a decent first touch and good link up play.

However, Stockley is going nowhere, and we need at least one striker who'll score more than Washington did/would have alongside him if we want to go up.

Not saying we'll get one (let alone two) mind you, but letting Washington go and him going to Rotherham doesn't change the fact we need to improve on him of we want to challenge, in my opinion.

As always, the key is who we replace him with, and that's where I'm worried frankly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's not a championship player, misses far too many chances. I think this says more about Rotherham's budget than Conor Washington's quality. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    What the Jason Pearce who's been offered a coaching role at CAFC?

😉
  • Options
    Good lick Conor, 100% commitment to us wasn't enough it seems, so our loss is Rotherham's gain, sure he will do well there and prove many doubters wrong, no-one knows the circumstances behind his going, but we could have done with him this season..
  • Options
    Tbh I thought he was decent. Did a good job and in a better side would have scored more.
    im sure he’ll do well at Rotherham.
  • Options
    Washington to Rotherham, lets get Ladapo (ex Millers) in return (NO chance says the cynic/realist)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Not sure how trying to get a new contract makes you a trouble maker ?

Has anyone on CL been in a similar position and not felt edgy if their employment was in doubt ?

It was common knowledge that John Robinson was a massive moaner,( that was his personality at work) why didn't  information about Conor- trouble maker- only come out in the last few weeks of the season when quite naturally he is trying to sort out his future for the next couple of seasons ?

What was Washington supposed to do when being told words to the effect that JJ position is unclear a few games from the end of the season ? Does anyone knows the words verbatim other than Martin Sandgaard, Conor or his agent ?

So Conor shouldn't tell JJ or any of his team mates after they ask if he is staying or going and pass on info about Johnnie's own position?

I have no idea of his wage demands but Conor leaving and Josh Davison staying looks a strange decision because if CW isn't worthy of a new deal, then how is Josh, who appears to be a League 2 or National League player on what he has shown so far in League matches.

We all have to take sides in every issue now; It feels like talk sport ! 

I just want Charlton run like we appeared to be when Murray, Curbs and Varney were a strong unit( before Richard and Peter's fall out) and we were around the top four of the Premier. I know that won't happen again in my and probably my son's life time (in his late 20's) but even to get back to the Championship is going to take unity and everyone on the same page. Plus a striker similar to Conor but a better conversion rate.

As Fanny Fanackapan said last week after I said everyone needs to be on the same page; "we don't even have the same book".

Odious Matthew Southall will be getting great pleasure from this in fighting; and that I find depressing.

• Options
    This fella scored 20 goals for us, and people didn’t rate him , he’s played in the championship with Hull, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Magennis

Conor was a 1 goal in 3 for us, I hope we replace him with somebody good, or we will start the season really badly, again.

All the best Conor, hope it works out.
  • Options
    This fella scored 20 goals for us, and people didn’t rate him , he’s played in the championship with Hull, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Magennis

Conor was a 1 goal in 3 for us, I hope we replace him with somebody good, or we will start the season really badly, again.

1 in 3 in League 1 really isn't very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022

1 in 3 in League 1 really isn't very good.
    It is if we don’t replace him!
  • Options
    Fair play for getting a move to signed up so quickly. Fully expect to see him back in league 1 next season. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Did he? What happened? A lot of the fanbase turned on both too.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'll stick my neck out and say I believed Washington was a far better striker than most gave him credit for.

Don't think we really played to his strengths at Charlton, 

But whatever is thought of him, unless we sign someone that's better then it's been a mistake letting him go, right now I don't see us doing that, any free agents will be gone by the time we pull our fingers out and we won't be paying large fee's so I have little confidence of bringing in an improvement.

At the valley JJ did and that's why so many chances fell to Conor when instead of being stuck out wide on the left under Adkins where he had to cut in on his right every time (other than at Gateshead when he crossed with his left for Stockley's goal) playing in a two up front he had more chances as he could be more central and be closer to Jayden.

It was the Lincoln home match where Conor got in some great positions and all four of his chances missed the back of the net.
    Under JJ he got into the positions to score and he sometimes looked sharp- goal against Burton- The two goals against Cambridge ? Two nil at the valley and Conor got both goals.

@Rob7lee can you explain where you wanted him to play if not in a two with either Stockley or Aneke where he had more chances in the Lincoln game than all the games he ever played out wide in a 3 under Nigel ?

Corey Blackett-Taylor our two footed wide man is the player who should play out left or right even in a 3. Not sure I want Corey as a wing back and defending in his own box.

• Options
    Interesting move. 

I suspect Conor would have gone anyway even if we had made an offer. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Interesting move. 

I suspect Conor would have gone anyway even if we had made an offer. 
    I'm not so sure Richard. He is a Kent lad so staying closer to family may have appealed.  We'll never know either way now though.
  • Options
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94077/conor-washington-gone/p1

Never forget. Some people on the released thread describing him as average mid table League One level and thinking he might go to Wimbledon with Jacko..!
    He is average league 1. He must have a good agent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I doubt he will score more than 5 in the league next season, excluding penalties
    "he won't get a Championship deal"

*gets a Championship deal"

"must have a good agent"

...or maybe Paul Warne & team at Rotherham know more about what makes a good player than the average bloke on the internet.
    Let's wait and see how he gets on next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah and I wouldn't trust Gilbey's opinion on people either. Could definitely see that lot being a bit of a clique
  • Options
    Stockley is the on pitch moaning version of Washingtons off pitch moaning persona. 

Love Charlton.