Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andre Green released by Villa

Comments

• Options
    If the finances permit AG is well worth a 3 year deal, he will improve and Charlton would recover any investment. 
  • Options
    Defo would sign him. 
  • Options
    if we stay in this division he'll want to stay and we could probably afford him .. different story if we get relegated .. (which we won't)
  • Options
    I don't think he would be unaffordable if we stay up, as realistically who else in this division would want him other than the lower ranked sides

Fairly ineffective cameo today, but rustiness can partially be blamed for that
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Certainly worth signing but I expect he would be out of the question on our wage budget.
    What's our budget for next season?  We don't even really know who owns us now, let alone next month....... 
  • Options
    Sillybilly said:
    The more I see of him the less I fancyhim. He is skilful and excites at pace but there is something half hearted about him that I can’t quite put my finger on. Dunno if it’s a confidence thing or a desire not to get injured but doesn’t quite look committed enough for me.  I’d have Leko back in a heartbeat. 
     Today he seemed lost when he came on, he isn't the left footer that can play RM type. 

I do think his confidence will have been knocked by getting released, but so long as he's here he has my backing. Especially now he's technically a free agent on Wednesday morning. 

If he can show the flashes of skill and pace we saw when he arrived, he'll be fine. But Leko over him any day, that guy is more slippery than oil on the road in the rain. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    He will cost what people are willing to pay him. Bowyer has a great chance to have a good look. I prefer Leko. Very raw, and sometimes frustrating but if he irons out some of that, bags of potential.
  • Options
    I have not been impressed with Green. I can see why Villa have released him. Leko is very raw but he has pace and with the right guidance he will improve. If WBA are promoted will they want him? I would like to see him on a Season loan next season.
  • Options
    Leko was more involved in games. A lot didn't come off but he'd keep the ball for a while giving the rest of the team a breather and better chance to keep the shape. Games seem to pass Green by a lot more. Don't dislike him but haven't been overly impressed either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like Green but there’s something I can’t put my finger on about him. Maybe it’s the lack of a defined position. Still think he can contribute in these last 7 games.
  • Options
    Green has that style where you think he is playing within himself but in actual fact is giving it his all. Likeable player but needs to stop being just a "nice" player on the pitch.
  • Options
    I like Green but there’s something I can’t put my finger on about him. Maybe it’s the lack of a defined position. Still think he can contribute in these last 7 games.
    Similar to my opinion!
     he has obvious pace, and is decent when the ball is at his feet - however he never seems to have the wide open wings to run down- is that him or is that our style of play hindering it? 

The lack of ‘position’ Is spot on however. I couldn’t tell you if he’s a ST, CF , winger Or midfielder- he seems to be a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none! 

The only thing I can put my finger on, is using his pace to abuse tiring players late on in a game or if you’re chasing a goal! 

Think the Leko comparison is harsh, as neither were consistent nor pulled up many roots, and certainly would be looking at other players to play on the wings next season rather that green or leko! 
  • Options
    Not good enough, does not have a footballing brain. Does not anticipate the play at all.
  • Options
    I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Andre yet, I’m hoping there’s more to come.
  • Options
    I know he was only on from the 80th minute yesterday but he didn’t seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.
  • Options
    I know he was only on from the 80th minute yesterday but he didn’t seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.
    He looked like I did at 18 after a bender then turning up on a Sunday not knowing where I was. 

He actually played like a man who was gutted at being told he wernt being kept on at his first club. Needs to knuckle down to convince anyone he is worth a contract hasn't set the world alight for me
  • Options
    Started ok , but has been awful since February  . He's a no from me if we stay up 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Green has that style where you think he is playing within himself but in actual fact is giving it his all. Likeable player but needs to stop being just a "nice" player on the pitch.
    I feel like he's lacking something, maybe he is too "nice". Lloyd Sam was a bit like the way you describe, he was expected to really stand out in League 1 but didn't seem to have the confidence and drive play that way.

He doesn't frustrate like Leko does, but then he doesn't seem take the same risks. Tidy on the ball, decent pace, but to me it feels like he lacks that extra spark. Think the way player like Williams, Holmes, Lookman, Watt etc can/would pick up the ball and run at players at pace, they'd either create something or be fouled.
  • Options
    I'd probably sign him because he thinks he's a decent player. However (and I said this in January), it's stupid to sign a winger to play as a striker. It's not fair to criticise that because he's playing out of position. If we went with a 433 system more than I would be keen on having him. Young and should only get better, what's not to like. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m sure Bowyer’s man management will get him in the right frame of mind to allow himself to give 100%, despite the disappointment of being released.
  • Options
    He lacks the strength to play as a central striker and bring others into play. He’s quick and can play on the shoulder but you do need a bit more than that. As someone remarked, being released by Villa, where he’s probably been since he was a kid, is bound to have been a blow to the lad, especially in the current climate.

He’ll certainly have opportunities to show what he can do over the next 7 games and a platform to secure a contract for next season. If it’s not with us, I think it will be in League 1 - assuming it’s viable to start the season without fans. He failed at Preston, where Alex Neill hinted at a lack of mental strength, and the next 23 days are going to be very important for Andre’s career. Football is certainly a pressurised business and never more so than now.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    He lacks the strength to play as a central striker and bring others into play. He’s quick and can play on the shoulder but you do need a bit more than that. As someone remarked, being released by Villa, where he’s probably been since he was a kid, is bound to have been a blow to the lad, especially in the current climate.

He’ll certainly have opportunities to show what he can do over the next 7 games and a platform to secure a contract for next season. If it’s not with us, I think it will be in League 1 - assuming it’s viable to start the season without fans. He failed at Preston, where Alex Neill hinted at a lack of mental strength, and the next 23 days are going to be very important for Andre’s career. Football is certainly a pressurised business and never more so than now.
    I'd forgotten that, Blucher ..... but you're right, the Preston manager rarely played him and then talked about why he didn't.
    There was also a suggestion of managing an arthritic toe, which brought some discussion at the time, which may have restricted him playing 2 full games inside a week - maybe Green has sometimes been playing in discomfort, which could affect performance consistancy?

Mental strength is perhaps the prime requirement of a successful player at this level, regardless of whatever other attributes and abilities he may possess. Without it, he can't impose himself on the game or compete - let alone if it's a personal confidence issue or fear of injury.

Maybe as a natural winger, he's uncertain and not adjusted to his new role in the team. Perhaps he just needs playing in the position he's always played?

No one is really questioning his ability, he has plenty ..... and there's definitely a player there.

• Options
    I agree. He's got pace and some trickery and it can't have been easy to come into a struggling side and play in an unfamiliar position, particularly off the back of an unsuccessful loan spell at Preston. It's especially tough for players out of contract in the current climate and he'll be desperate to show what he can do.
  • Options
    You’ve got to be mad to turn that down.

Ha ha. Total cack again and put us in danger with misplaced passes and losing possession. There will be loads of players out of contract. We can do better than this guy.
    Yeah someone needs to get him to sit down with Adam Matthews

Both players potentially looking for clubs this summer;

Matthews is playing like a player who could get a decent contract wherever he wants
    Green is playing like someone who is going to end up in League One
  • Options
    I don't know if it's a confidence thing, but he was completely ineffective tonight, but then I don't know what his role was. 
  • Options
    I think confidence plays a part. He had a chance in the first half when Aneke played him in and he should have had a shot with his left, but instead decided to cut in on his right. I imagine if he’s playing with confidence he swings at that with his left. 
  • Options
    As others have said, not sure whether it’s confidence or not? 

He just doesn’t seem bothered either? 

Doesn’t want to take on his man, and had 2 flashes of good skill early on and then just back to hiding! 
    At max he is an impact sub- but only for his ‘pace’!

there will be a tonne of wingers available, worth looking at - and would even look to the academy/u21s before considering him!

Absolutely will find him playing in league one next season, the type of player who will do alright somewhere like Wimbledon/Rochdale/Shrewsbury