Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Queens Park Rangers | Sat 27 Jun | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Win number 2 in a 9 game winning sequence as Bowyer shows yet again in his third campaign season as manager that his team’s football thrives on warm weather pitches
    I'd never have a Charlton Athletic side down as 'flat track bullies'.
  • Options
    An excellent and gently amusing report of QPR's game against Barnsley last week - the Tykes' first win at Loftus Road in 25 games since 1950 , comprising 22 defeats, three draws and one goal. I have finally, finally found a team with a worse away record than ours at Millwall.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52501/back-with-a-blank-qpr-beaten-by-barnsley-again-–-report

This guy, Chris Whittingham of 'Loft For Words', is in the Kevin Nolan class. We can but hope that QPR serve up a similarly insipid performance on Saturday, although Mark Warburton will have other ideas.

Barnsley sound dangerous but hopefully they've got too much to do. A young and energetic side who are clearly going to give it a go. As Chris Whittingham puts it:

"Austrian manager Gerhard Struber, rocking suit trousers and an expensive belt with a pyjama top, sent out an adventurous line up that had Reds fans scratching their heads pre-match. Debuts for Romal Palmer in attack and Jack Walton in goal, and only a substitute role for Conor Chaplin who’d scored three times when these sides met at Oakwell in December. Six of their starting 11 – Ludewig, Palmer, Walton, Ritzmaier, Simoes, Sollbauer - had made less than ten first team appearances prior to lockdown and Ben Williams had only made 13. Seven of the 11 were 22 or younger. But as in that chaotic 5-3 win, the Yorkshire side flew out of the traps, catching QPR stone cold, scored once early and were really very unfortunate not to add a second and third."

I know very little about QPR, as the only time I've seen them this season was in our game there just before Christmas. Most of their play came through Eze and we certainly do need to shackle his attacking verve. If we can replicate the level of application we showed at Hull and be a little more clinical, we'll certainly get a result.

• Options
    Cheers Sage.  If that's how QPR play I'd be a lot more happy to see Green behind Hemed, unfortunately fitness prob won't allow it. 

Williams to start for me over Mcgeady at home:  Williams should be used as an impact player away to save his legs.  Having both Williams and Morgan closing down fbs and out of position cbs at home is perfect for Bowyer's play.  Bowyer's style of play is much more suited to hard pitches and Williams is the best I've seen for years at closing down defenders, something players won't like in the heat.  Hopefully Hemed can use his knowledge of QPR from last year.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Cheers Sage.  If that's how QPR play I'd be a lot more happy to see Green behind Hemed, unfortunately fitness prob won't allow it. 

Williams to start for me over Mcgeady at home:  Williams should be used as an impact player away to save his legs.  Having both Williams and Morgan closing down fbs and out of position cbs at home is perfect for Bowyer's play.  Bowyer's style of play is much more suited to hard pitches and Williams is the best I've seen for years at closing down defenders, something players won't like in the heat.  Hopefully Hemed can use his knowledge of QPR from last year.
    Forgot he played for them last season. Matt Smith was also with them earlier this season

Guaranteed that both will score. And won't have to worry when celebrating about upsetting the away fans  :D
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I personally cannot see Bowyer going with the same line up that we had last week. A flat 4-4-2 just won’t work against QPR. We tried it back in December and was getting completely overrun for 25 minutes until Bowyer made a change, he took Purrington off and put Pearce on and we went to a back 3 with Matthews and Doughty as wing-backs. There will be changes for Saturday, that is for sure.

Eze is QPR’s most dangerous player, by an absolute mile. Without him, I am sure they’d be right in amongst the relegation scrap. Eze has 12 goals and 8 assists from midfield this season, a fantastic record for the young, exciting and skilful midfielder. His style of play is similar to what people may compare to Fosu’s. However, Eze plays centrally behind the main striker and is far more consistent in his performances. If we stop him, we stop a very large part of QPR. What they do very well is get pace out wide which naturally takes a lot of attention from the opposition, this allows Eze to find space in dangerous areas of the pitch - driving passed players as if they weren’t there.

A way to stop QPR from getting into those positions to hurt us, is to set the traps and know when to quickly and incisively press high. If given the chance, QPR will look to build from the back, out wide and into Eze in the middle. However, if we are organised we could win the ball high up the pitch, and that’s where our flair players can hurt them.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bowyer go with a back 3. Some people may find it too defensive, especially at home, but you have to adjust your line up according to the opposition as we saw last weekend. Personally I hope like us to go with the diamond, having Morgan as part of the three in midfield and one of Williams or Aneke behind the front two. It would also mean Pratley could drop between the centre backs to make a back 3 if we need to.

I can’t also see Pearce travelling on Tuesday to Cardiff. Another week has passed and his wife will be close to going into labour now. He can probably afford to play on Saturday being in London, but travelling to Cardiff on a Tuesday evening is not ideal. For that reason, Pearce continues in defence with Sarr coming in for him as a two alongside Lockyer on Tuesday.
    I’ll go for the team I’d like to see, rather than the back 3 I think Bowyer will go with.

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Morgan
    Williams
    Bonne Hemed

Amos, Oshilaja, Sarr, Doughty, Field, Forster-Caskey, McGeady, Aneke, Green

Charlton Athletic 2-1 QPR
    Bonne
    Hemed
    Isn’t Pratley injured?

Thought he was out with knee injury.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    I personally cannot see Bowyer going with the same line up that we had last week. A flat 4-4-2 just won’t work against QPR. We tried it back in December and was getting completely overrun for 25 minutes until Bowyer made a change, he took Purrington off and put Pearce on and we went to a back 3 with Matthews and Doughty as wing-backs. There will be changes for Saturday, that is for sure.

Eze is QPR’s most dangerous player, by an absolute mile. Without him, I am sure they’d be right in amongst the relegation scrap. Eze has 12 goals and 8 assists from midfield this season, a fantastic record for the young, exciting and skilful midfielder. His style of play is similar to what people may compare to Fosu’s. However, Eze plays centrally behind the main striker and is far more consistent in his performances. If we stop him, we stop a very large part of QPR. What they do very well is get pace out wide which naturally takes a lot of attention from the opposition, this allows Eze to find space in dangerous areas of the pitch - driving passed players as if they weren’t there.

A way to stop QPR from getting into those positions to hurt us, is to set the traps and know when to quickly and incisively press high. If given the chance, QPR will look to build from the back, out wide and into Eze in the middle. However, if we are organised we could win the ball high up the pitch, and that’s where our flair players can hurt them.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bowyer go with a back 3. Some people may find it too defensive, especially at home, but you have to adjust your line up according to the opposition as we saw last weekend. Personally I hope like us to go with the diamond, having Morgan as part of the three in midfield and one of Williams or Aneke behind the front two. It would also mean Pratley could drop between the centre backs to make a back 3 if we need to.

I can’t also see Pearce travelling on Tuesday to Cardiff. Another week has passed and his wife will be close to going into labour now. He can probably afford to play on Saturday being in London, but travelling to Cardiff on a Tuesday evening is not ideal. For that reason, Pearce continues in defence with Sarr coming in for him as a two alongside Lockyer on Tuesday.
    I’ll go for the team I’d like to see, rather than the back 3 I think Bowyer will go with.

Phillips
    Pratley
    Cullen Morgan
    Williams
    Bonne Hemed

Bonne
    Hemed
    Isn’t Pratley injured?

Havent seen it actually confirmed anywhere

The website that released the info isnt exactly well known
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Pratley
    Cullen Morgan
    Williams
    Bonne Hemed

Bonne
    Hemed
    Isn’t Pratley injured?

Havent seen it actually confirmed anywhere

The website that released the info isnt exactly well known
    As far as I know, Pratley is fine and will be in the squad on Saturday. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only change I'd make to the team is bringing in a proper LB. Problem is Purrington was awful against them at their place & Dougherty is more a left winger than a defender. Will LB trust Page at LB....?

All that being said I'm going for a home win. 2-1.
  • Options
    QPR are only 7 points off a play off, but agree it is better to be playing them now after losing to Barnsley. Imagine how up for it they would be if they had won and were sitting just 4 points off a play off spot.

I still think they consider they have an outside chance, so I don't agree they won't be motivated for this game. I personally felt they were very good when we played them earlier in the season, in a match we should have lost. My QPR mate has been watching them for over 50 years and he says that this season they have played some of the best football he has seen in a number of years. Their away form especially has been very good, but not sure that counts for very much now.

Like everyone else, I worry about where our goals will come from. I think we need to score first in order to get a result. A 0-0 at half time, with good substitutions off the bench, might be the way to go. This is a crucial match in our fight for survival. I can't think of another remaining game which on paper looks so winnable. In my opinion a win here gives us an @oohaahmortimer 65% chance of survival. Half that should we lose (points deductions excepted). A draw is not necessarily a bad result. Every point is vital now, which is why 3 point gains are priceless. 49 points plus our goal difference should be enough.

• Options
    Got a draw written all over it.
  • Options

• Options
    Only change I'd make to the team is bringing in a proper LB. Problem is Purrington was awful against them at their place & Dougherty is more a left winger than a defender. Will LB trust Page at LB....?

Page isnt fit, is a probably out for a few more days
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    Morgan and Davison have signed up.

Fantastic news for our club.
  • Options
    Gutted I won’t be there in person to see us get another 3 points closer to safety. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I think we could have scored a few more if we had a bit of luck and later in the game if we tried harder to when we had the lead. The key thing is how easy you create chances and I think we showed we were ok in this area on Saturday. When we attacked we looked dangerous. 
  • Options

Page isnt fit, is a probably out for a few more days
    FUCK me.
    I never saw that coming. 
  • Options
    Hoping we scrape a 1-0.
  • Options
     Needed to share this...but can’t find a crowd thread one...but switched on sky sports footy on...WBA v Brum from the other day is on...about to turn off,but as they kicked off second half...the crowd noise in background was us lot singing Valley Floyd Road...

anyways we win 3-1 Bonne,Williams & Chuks

• Options
    1 -0 ...Davison   
  • Options
    I think Bows will go with a back three and i'm he starts with Doughty at LWB. I seem to remember him coming on in December and giving their full back a torrid old time.

As others have mentioned they have lively wingers but their defense isn't all that so we will get chances. 2-1 to CAFC
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ef5abf213af3/bowyer-lets-build-on-positive-start

Everyone is available other than Page and Smith

JFC could be a useful player for us in this period, as he has previously shown that he can get goals from midfield, something we badly lack
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ef5abf213af3/bowyer-lets-build-on-positive-start

Everyone is available other than Page and Smith

JFC could be a useful player for us in this period, as he has previously shown that he can get goals from midfield, something we badly lack
    Also solid LB cover.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Explains why Matt Smith wasnt on the bench against Hull... Although I hate to say, who would you have dropped to include him?

In a way I'd question who we should drop in favour of George Lapslie as he does have a great engine, only change I think we'll see in the 20-man squad is Green for Davison
  • Options

Page isnt fit, is a probably out for a few more days months