Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reemergence of Morgan

Comments

• Options
    Ffs who’s give him a job this time GMB been much better since he stormed off.
  • Options
    Play him in the same position for 10 games and you might see him maintain his excellent ability......
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    It has been said repeatedly that young emerging players can be inconsistent, it is a big leap to the first team, and young home grown players are easier to either move about or drop from the team/squad (see also early Jonathan Fortune).
    Old hands at watching emerging players would probably agree that potential is often seen when players are one of the best ones playing with their peers.
    Albie was eye catching in that context.
    It would not surprise me if Nige gives Albie every chance.

On a side note has Ben Watson really been that much of a step up from George Lapslie?
    They play different roles, Watson sitting in front of the back four/five, while Lapslie has done well at Mansfield as a goalscoring midfielder.

A better question is Gilbey that much of a step up from Lapslie. 
    Lapslie never played/had the chance to play for us where he plays for Mansfield.  He probably had 4 or 5 players in front of him when he left.  Unfortunately 1 followed him straight out the door and 2 more went as soon as he left permanently. 
  • Options
    Albie should be playing much more, never let us down in the Championship either!
    Last two games two vital assists.
  • Options
    Adkins got there in the Lincoln game by playing him in the centre, something Bowyer didn't recognise. If he is allowed to link play and spread passes across the width of the pitch, starting from deep, we will see the best of him. He has similarities to Jonjo Shelvey in that respect.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It can sometimes be easy to forget that Albie is just 21. 

Indeed.

I can relate to that.

73 and still not the finished article. :-)
  • Options
    Morgan has re-emerged a few times. He needs to find some consistency now.
    I think we’re onto the re-re-re-emergence 
  • Options
    I personally don’t think he’s got it. I hope I’m massively proved wrong and he becomes a mainstay and plays for us in the Premier League. But I just don’t see it. 
    It will be interesting to see how he does today. Played from the off, pressumably, can he take the game by the scruff of the neck? 
    Yes he’s young but the likes of Parker were doing that at his age. If he wants to be a top player with us then today is a big moment in staking his claim. 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Send him somewhere he'll play 35 games next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Valley11 said:
    I personally don’t think he’s got it. I hope I’m massively proved wrong and he becomes a mainstay and plays for us in the Premier League. But I just don’t see it. 
    It will be interesting to see how he does today. Played from the off, pressumably, can he take the game by the scruff of the neck? 
    Yes he’s young but the likes of Parker were doing that at his age. If he wants to be a top player with us then today is a big moment in staking his claim. 

I don’t think many are saying he has the sort of potential Parker did, an England international.

However Morgan at least has the potential to be a key player for us in a League 1 promotion season and become a good Championship player. The likes of Cousins and Fox have spent their careers in the second tier and Morgan could go on to make a bigger impact at that level than either of them.

The academy is there to produce first team players for us, not just the next Parker, Shelvey or Gomez. Morgan has enough about him to do that.
  • Options
    As a parallel comment, I enjoyed seeing Lapslie’s great driving run and assist for a Mansfield goal at Port Vale yesterday, if only because it evidenced my often repeated view that Lapslie is a team mate’s dream.
  • Options
    He and Gilbey are the future of our midfield. Next season, irrespective of our division, a young defensive midfielder to complement them is a priority
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    mendonca said:
    It can sometimes be easy to forget that Albie is just 21. 

Indeed.

I can relate to that.

73 and still not the finished article. :-)
    You never are 73 surely.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Can you send me the details of what moisturiser you use? Asking for a friend. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    He’s not remotely ready to be our main midfield man next season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

I don’t think many are saying he has the sort of potential Parker did, an England international.

However Morgan at least has the potential to be a key player for us in a League 1 promotion season and become a good Championship player. The likes of Cousins and Fox have spent their careers in the second tier and Morgan could go on to make a bigger impact at that level than either of them.

The academy is there to produce first team players for us, not just the next Parker, Shelvey or Gomez. Morgan has enough about him to do that.
    Parker had been around the squad a long time before he was ready.  Morgan may be a later developer- it happens. 
  • Options
    He and Gilbey are the future of our midfield. Next season, irrespective of our division, a young defensive midfielder to complement them is a priority
    Nnamdi Ofoborh hasn't played for Rangers. We were linked last summer.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Best midfielder on the pitch today. 
  • Options
    Yes, had his best game for the club today.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    I won’t be writing off it being a real breakthrough season for him though in a better team and a much more settled club.
  • Options
    Forster-Caskey has arguably had his breakthrough season as a strong/consistent midfielder at last this year at age 27, would be ridiculous to not keep giving him chances with the talent he has.
  • Options
    Perhaps you’re right. I just don’t see it. 
    Would be delighted to be proved wrong next season, of course. 
  • Options
    A big pre-season for Morgan
  • Options
    Personally I think he's been underused this season.

It's an odd logic that you can't use your own younger players because they might make mistakes and are a bit inconsistent, BUT do play other's clubs youngsters like Maatsen and Famewo when they will also make mistakes and are a bit inconsistent. 

Especially when mistakes made by many of the senior pros will have cost us more points than Morgan anyway, the likes of Pearce, Gunter, Pratley and Watson
  • Options
    The lad is quality and does get better with the more minutes he plays. In the absence of JFC, I would absolutely give him the chance to start in the middle of the park next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    He’s definitely got the potential and the attitude to have a very decent career. He’s played with a rich more freedom in the past few games, which I’m sure is partly down to Adkins, but he was trusted in big matches by Bowyer too - lets not forget he started a playoff semi final 2 years ago.

The constructive criticism of his defending is well found though. I said on the match thread, but I think there is potential for him to reinvent himself a little bit like Parker did. He has the speed and the engine to get up and down the pitch and can carry the ball in possession plus we know all about his range of passing. If he can get better at tracking runners and add more aggressive tackling to his game then he can be an excellent all round midfielder and we are crying out for one of them to help balance the team. He’ll play every week if he can do that. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

What do you base that assessment on, Sco? 

When I think back to Cousins, he came into the side and looked so comfortable playing at this level, whereas Morgan is still struggling to consistently make the grade. Case and point, Cousins made his debut, two months later won the Football League Young Player of the Month and went on to play 47 times that season. He was undroppable. 

Morgan can see a pass and play a pass, but as you know, football is a much bigger game than that, and I'm not sure he has showed the general level of footballing ability that Cousins did.  
  • Options
    It’s very easy to take a youngster at face value.  Let’s not forget Karlan Grant who literally no one rated until he hit 21!

I personally think he’s going to a be cracking player, championship standard for me he will be by the time he’s 23.  Next season is his season, it would of been this season had Thomas not came in and helped us pack the squad out.  Admittedly he could of done with a proper loan but he’s still managed some minutes.

Bit of ITK here.  One thing we’ve not seen yet is his ferocious shot, I know a couple people that played with him through the ranks as a youngster and they swear by it that his shot is his best attribute. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

He's ready to be in contention and with JFC out until January at the earliest he will be a vital player along with Gilbey. He doesn't have to be the "main man" but he can do a great job in League I and probably the champ but he needs to play games and be part of the 16 or so who play most weeks.
    The 3 games a week and we need his young legs over Pratley, Watson etc.

Comparing any one to Parker who was outstanding in the Premier over an 18 months period for Cafc is just ridiculous.