Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reemergence of Morgan

strange one. Couldn’t really get a look in earlier yet in the starting 11 with a full compliment to chose from.

Suprised me that, always got the sense Bowyer was never fully happy with him. 

A one off or expect him to hold down a starting spot for the next few games?

Comments

• Very surprised by that too, especially with much more experienced guys on the bench.
  • I know he came back overweight when injured a season or two back and bowyer was fuming , so hopefully he’s taken that on board and got his act together during lockdown and kept himself in shape and tbf he does a look a tad trimmer, fitter and leaner 
  • I was surprised but I don’t think he’s ever let us down. LB has wanted him to work on the defensive side of his game so he must like what he’s seen in training.

His ability to spray a pass is definitely there. Saw someone liken him to a young Gerard...I’d say more a young Scholes, he’s still young and got plenty to learn but we’d be mental to let him leave 

great talent, hope he gets a new contract (believe he’s out of contract after this season??)
  • I fully expect him to be a regular in our 1st team next season. 
    He is a very good player and Bowyer will make him even better. 
  • Has most of the attributes to be class. Was lacking some aggression.

Who better to give him some tips on that?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    There's a video from a few years ago of the academy side where they talk about their non football selves (can't fully remember now). Lapslie, Doughty, Morgan and others. All young guys obviously. Each one different and growing up with different influences and pressures.

Albie was different. May have been having a harder time than others at the time. It struck me watching that, how these guys are dealing with unusual circumstances, being footballers in the limelight, and come from backgrounds few of us can really know much about from the outside.

I think it's easy to forget that side of life all too often, when we expect these younger guys to perform for us week in week out.
  • Davo55 said:
    I seem to remember Bow saying that Albie needed to work on the defensive side of his game - well, although he is clearly better at spraying the ball around in a playmaker type role, he put in a defensive shift yesterday alright.

There's also been question marks about his fitness. That may still be an issue as he visibly tired in the second half but he looks trim enough.

Is the final concern about attitude? That he thinks he's better than he is? We've really got no way of judging but I'd rather the boy had self-confidence than be talented but too timid.

Whatever, unless he is looking for silly money, it looks a no-brainer to sign him up on a new 2-3 year contract. He is a very good player with a passing range that exceeds a lot of players at Championship level.
    I was watching Albie a lot yesterday when we didnt have the ball - Bowyer almost used him as a luxury player and kept him out the way when we didnt have the ball; Albie would keep to his position yet try and do anything rash

It also meant that when we got the ball back - Albie wasnt far enough back to be ineffective in creating an attack, instead was far enough forward to be the danger man
  • Dazzler21 said:
    strange one. Couldn’t really get a look in earlier yet in the starting 11 with a full compliment to chose from.

Suprised me that, always got the sense Bowyer was never fully happy with him. 

A one off or expect him to hold down a starting spot for the next few games?
    He's lost weight, looked sharper, worked harder... Penny drop maybe?
    Looks that way. Few of them look a lot better after lockdown, Morgan and McGeady in particular. Doughty looks stronger as well. 
  • Albie is the nearest thing we have to Cullen so with him going back to West Hamster in all probability then Albie must realise he has a great chance to get a contract and cement his place. 
  • Morgan has responded to his kick up the arse by getting fit and showing that he wants it (a career in football). The trick now is to keep showing he wants it and if he does, he'll have a very good career. Time will tell if the penny has fully dropped.

Even though he's never scored, you get the feeling that it won't be long because he has a pretty strong, accurate shot. It could be that once he gets one goal, then more will follow quite quickly. 
  • Albie is nothing like Cullen!

I wasn't remotely surprised he started yesterday. What has surprised me is how little he's been involved at times 
  • Thought he had a great game yesterday, well worth his place in the starting line up.
  • edited June 2020
    Bowyer is very good about making sure you’re rewarded with game time if you’re putting in the work in training. Good to see that’s happening with Albie, it definitely looked to pay off in yesterday’s match.

Please please please tell me he’s got more than a year left on his contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• He has showed glimpses of being very very good but hasn’t really stepped up and grabbed the bull by the horns yet but he is still young, is he 20 yet?

Hopefully yesterday was the turning point. Next season is the key one for him and I hope he kicks on and nails down a regular spot.
  • edited June 2020
    Albie is the nearest thing we have to Cullen so with him going back to West Hamster in all probability then Albie must realise he has a great chance to get a contract and cement his place. 
    Would say Lapslie is the closest player we've got to Cullen - Can put a tackle in and as we've seen has an eye for a pass

Morgan is the closest player we've had to Shelvey since he left
  • Bowyer has always said he has the talent. 

The key with Bowyer, and one of the reasons he is a brilliant manager, is he demands 100% at all times. You slip below that, you don’t play. 

Let’s all hope that Morgan has got that message because a mean and lean Morgan could be fantastic for us going forward. He was superb yesterday. 

I believe he’s a better player when given time. He got that in his good spell last year in League 1. Yesterday’s quality was more league 1 than championship and I think he thrived in it.
  • Bowyer cleary rates his ability, but feels he does not do enough in work rate for all the talent he has.  Morgan has cleary trained well and Bowyer has rewarded him with the start.

Albi is a class player and if he can up the work rate he will be a very good player for us
  • Bowyer is very good about making sure you’re rewarded with game time if you’re putting in the work in training. Good to see that’s happening with Albie, it definitely looked to pay off in yesterday’s match.

Please please please tell me he’s got more than a year left on his contract.
    Not sure how long his contract is, it possibly runs out at the end of July this year.
  • Quiet fancy a Morgan myself, not the three wheel version though.  To my mind young players always benefit from a break from the team, they come back a bit older and stronger. 
  • Leuth said:
    Albie is nothing like Cullen!

I wasn't remotely surprised he started yesterday. What has surprised me is how little he's been involved at times 
    agreed - morgan drifts in and out of the game and has little moments of magic  like long range hoddle type passes- cullen is perpetual motion and plays it very simple - very close to being at completely opposite ends of the midfield spectrum - pratley being the only one further in the current squad id say  
  • He’s the best passer at the club by a long way. Sprays 30 yard passes about like it’s nothing.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Bowyer cleary rates his ability, but feels he does not do enough in work rate for all the talent he has.  Morgan has cleary trained well and Bowyer has rewarded him with the start.

Albi is a class player and if he can up the work rate he will be a very good player for us
    agreed but bowyer must also be aware that some players just have far better engines than others - you wouldn't ask mat le tissier to go box to box all game - getting morgan as fit as he can be yes but a bit like chucks, some players just aren't built like the wirey young bowyer who was literally an engine on legs with bags of talent and desire as well 
  • Exactly what I thought. Didn't have a real look in when all fully fit and went out on loan. Now we have a full midfield he gets the nod. Strange one and the biggest selection surprise yesterday. Very good though and he has loads of potential. Hope he keeps in and keeps improving