Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    Well Buttler caught two fantastic catches and the ships (and Broad) dropped a heap of catchable ones between them. 

Must have been quite gloomy by then and fair play to the umpires for leaving them out. Not quite sure why Pakistan had to come out to be sent back but hey hopefully there will be enough play to get a win. 
  • Options
    Buttler has had a very good match, but deserved the criticism he got for his keeping in the 1st Test as it was shocking. Glad to see it's improved in this match. He's batted very maturely too

Annoyed with Ed Smith  though, releasing Foakes and Curran to play for Surrey against Kent. Traitor  :D
  • Options
    Buttler has had a very good match, but deserved the criticism he got for his keeping in the 1st Test as it was shocking. Glad to see it's improved in this match. He's batted very maturely too

Annoyed with Ed Smith  though, releasing Foakes and Curran to play for Surrey against Kent. Traitor  :D
    We still have more players away with England across both squads than you. Stop moaning 
  • Options
    Cricket does have a significant issue with the lack of cricket played in state schools, my impression is that fast bowlers are more likely to be state school educated?

Anderson, Woakes, Wood, Stokes, Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard, Finn, Plunkett were all state school educated for example
    I think that's fair comment. The likes of Crawley, Sibley, Roy, Burns and Pope will have reaped the benefits of batting on decent tracks far more than bowlers would. 

However, this was the 2020 World Cup England U19 squad:

Kasey Aldridge (Somerset) - Millfield (Private)
    George Balderson (Lancashire) - Cheadle Hulme (State)
    Ben Charlesworth (Gloucestershire) - St Edward's (Private)
    Tom Clark (Sussex) - Ardingly College (Private)
    Jordan Cox (Kent) - Felsted (Private)
    Scott Currie (Hampshire) - Unknown (State)
    Blake Cullen (Middlesex) - Hampton (Private)
    Harry Duke (Yorkshire) - Queen Elizabeth G S Wakefield (Private)
    Joey Evison (Nottinghamshire) - Stamford (Private)
    Lewis Goldsworthy (Somerset - Millfield (Private)
    Jack Haynes (Worcestershire) - Malvern College (Private)
    George Hill (Yorkshire) - Sedbergh (Private)
    Dan Mousley (Warwickshire) - Bablake (Private)
    Hamidullah Qadri (Kent) - Chellaston College (State)
    Sam Young (Somerset) - Millfield (Private)

So, 12 of a squad of 15 were privately educated - or 80%. And only one, it would appear, from an ethnic background who happens to be state educated.

Even if we ignore how many state schools now play cricket, what percentage of young cricketers that do play club cricket go to private schools? Certainly not 80%.  In fact it is probably more in line with the national average of privately educated pupils which is actually 7% - or the equivalent of just one of the 15 man England squad referred to above. 

And what percentage of young cricketers come from an ethnic background? Far higher than the one player represented in this squad.

• Options
    does it matter where a cricketer went to school?
  • Options
    Cricket does have a significant issue with the lack of cricket played in state schools, my impression is that fast bowlers are more likely to be state school educated?

Anderson, Woakes, Wood, Stokes, Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard, Finn, Plunkett were all state school educated for example
    I think that's fair comment. The likes of Crawley, Sibley, Roy, Burns and Pope will have reaped the benefits of batting on decent tracks far more than bowlers would. 

So, 12 of a squad of 15 were privately educated - or 80%. And only one, it would appear, from an ethnic background who happens to be state educated.

Even if we ignore how many state schools now play cricket, what percentage of young cricketers that do play club cricket go to private schools? Certainly not 80%.  In fact it is probably more in line with the national average of privately educated pupils which is actually 7% - or the equivalent of just one of the 15 man England squad referred to above. 

And what percentage of young cricketers come from an ethnic background? Far higher than the one player represented in this squad.

How many of them were on Sports scholarships ? 
  • Options
    Starting at 11am tomorrow, (although I think more likely to be the afternoon).
    The weather tomorrow morning is poor so no point starting early
    Yes, I've just seen the forecast & I think the incoming weather system is ahead of schedule. Might get some play tomorrow afternoon & the same Tuesday.....although depending if they can get the outfield dry Tuesday might be starting around tea time.

Think another drew is on the cards.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

How many of them were on Sports scholarships ? 
    I suspect a lot of them were on scholarships but it is the system that has been created whereby this is the pool that selectors are now fishing in that is wrong. 

In the old days selectors would look at clubs for recommendations and would view up and coming talent there. What has changed is that selectors are now touring the private school games on Saturdays and mid week. Those schools want to attract the so called "best" so will offer scholarships to talented players simply because it adds value to the school to have players that play county cricket. These boys aren't even allowed to play for their clubs when they have matches for the school such is the importance of such matches. 

These boys can avail themselves of not just the best facilities but also have available to them a head of cricket who, in most cases, is a former pro. That coach has a vested interest to produce star cricketers because it adds value to both him as a coach and the school and he will, by virtue of his status, also have the ear and trust of the county and area selectors. 

So how does a talented lad from east London say get to use such facilities and 1-2-1 coaching? He can't because he isn't "in the system", his parents probably can't afford £30-£40 per hour coaching and the chances of him actually being spotted or having the right background to be considered for a scholarship (and his parents be able to afford all the "extras" that come with going to a private school) are minimal. 

There is a lad, for example, who I know from playing against my son at county age group level. He came from a London borough who would pay someone to take him to games around the country because his parents couldn't, This was thanks to a benefactor who funded the whole charitable nature of "sport for all" in the borough. I believe that the money has now run out so the chances of anyone else benefiting in this way have all but gone. And that boy has never had or will ever get the same level of coaching that his counterparts at private schools do.

Now compare this boy's situation to the lad who goes to a private school. In a lot of cases the parents can afford to send their child to that school anyway. Zak Crawley was, undoubtedly, on a scholarship but he didn't need to rely on that. It wasn't the school that paid for his winter trips in the last few years to India and Perth. It was his parents. I also believe that ZaK lives in a flat paid for by his parents on or near the county ground in Canterbury so he can easily avail himself of the indoor facilities (Blackpool will no doubt confirm or deny this). Zak is fortunate but has still had to have the talent and fortitude to take advantage of his situation so I am not trying to undermine this in the way that Will Hutton did in his tweet.

But let's not kid ourselves that it is a level playing field because it simply isn't. Well not unless you happen to play at Tonbridge that is because you will not find a bump in any shape or form there! 

14 white lads from a squad of 15 England U19s of which 12 are privately educated, scholarship or otherwise, doesn't lie. The fact though that state educated Hamidullah Qadri made the squad is, perhaps, the real achievement.

• Options
    does it matter where a cricketer went to school?
    No, not at all. 

What matters is whether young players are prevented from developing as cricketers by not having access to the opportunities and facilities they need.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Classic stitch up by Nasser and Athers there on Key's and Warne!
     For those that didn't see it

• Options
    I agree 100% AA ...you have articulated the point very well ..I can't think that anyone can disagree 

• Options
    Not only state-educated Qadri but I also believe he came as a refugee/asylum-seeker! Awkward one for the red-tops if he ends up being an England star
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Not only state-educated Qadri but I also believe he came as a refugee/asylum-seeker! Awkward one for the red-tops if he ends up being an England star
    Comin over ere, taking our hard working spinner's places....
  • Options
    ...aged 10... 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ...aged 10... 
    SHOULDVE STAYED IN AFGHANISTAN TO HELP REBUILD WHATS WRONG WITH HIM 
  • Options
    If he becomes a Kent legend I think he'll definitely shape a few attitudes in this part of the world for the better tbh
  • Options
    Weather holding up
    Pakistan 25-0 off 8.1.
    Anderson and Broad bowling.
  • Options
    Classic stitch up by Nasser and Athers there on Key's and Warne!
     For those that didn't see it

This was hilarious. According to Rob Key, Shane Warne got completely distracted talking to the producers on how to get Nasser back - not sure if he has yet!
  • Options
    Big thing about cricket to become popular at state schools is cricket needs to be on free view telly. Normal kids from working families aren’t gonna be interested in playing a sport that they see as a niche, kids don’t want to be seen as out of the ordinary, especially kids who are poor. If only last years World Cup was on bbc, I think it would’ve done a huge amount of good for cricket in this country. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely chucking it down now...won't be back on for a long time now
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Play started again at 3.45pm. 52 overs left to be bowled today. No way is that happening. Probably play to 6.30 at best then off for bad light. Rain tomorrow morning so they might get another 50 odd overs in tomorrow.

No wickets down & this is heading for a draw. Now  just remind ourselves what the weather was like last Thursday....🌡🌞

• Options
    Masood lbw Broad 18

49-1
  • Options
    The only thing that I really want from the remainder of this test is for Jimmy to reach the magical 600 wickets. 
  • Options
    100-2 as bad light stops play. Jimmy on 599
  • Options
    Big thing about cricket to become popular at state schools is cricket needs to be on free view telly. Normal kids from working families aren’t gonna be interested in playing a sport that they see as a niche, kids don’t want to be seen as out of the ordinary, especially kids who are poor. If only last years World Cup was on bbc, I think it would’ve done a huge amount of good for cricket in this country. 
    Was there a big spike in Popularity in state schools after the Channel Four aired Ashes series of 2005 ? 
  • Options
    Inspection at 1:40...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Was there a big spike in Popularity in state schools after the Channel Four aired Ashes series of 2005 ? 
    As some one who was still at school in 2005 - absolutely yes. 
  • Options
    I so hope Jimmy gets a chance for that 600th wicket this afternoon. 

The next two test series are India away (touch and go if that goes on) and then India here next summer. At 38, this could conceivably be Anderson's last test match.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I so hope Jimmy gets a chance for that 600th wicket this afternoon. 

The next two test series are India away (touch and go if that goes on) and then India here next summer. At 38, this could conceivably be Anderson's last test match.
    jimmy says he wants to be at the next ashes series