Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    Holder b Bess 35

183-8
  • Options
    Great response from Bess.
    4.6.wicket 
  • Options
    Chase gets 5 wickets in England's 1st innings

Bess gets just 1 in the first innings, and no wickets yet in the second innings, not great
    True. 
    But he's only 22 and still learning. 
    Was literally typing "Not convinced Test cricket is the best place for a rookie spinner to learn his trade" when he bowled Holder

He can send me the thanks later  :D
  • Options

Bess gets just 1 in the first innings, and no wickets yet in the second innings, not great
    True. 
     Not true anymore
  • Options
    Joseph has some straight drive in his locker
  • Options
    Alas Joseph appears to be absolutely clueless against spin
  • Options
    192-9

Joseph c Bess b Stokes 9
  • Options
    192-9

Joseph c Bess b Stokes 9
    19 0vers to go still.
  • Options
    198 All out
  • Options
    Great catch by Pope after teeing it up  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Those reviews by the West Indies are an embarrassment.  I hope they don't point to poor umpiring at the end of the series.  Why waste reviews like that? 
    Trying to take time out of the game banking on it getting dark around 7:00 - 7:30 tonight.
    It's just embarrassing to try to "take time out of the game" on a day with a minimum number of overs.  
    I remember a match a few years back (saw it repeated on Sky recently) where the game was called off with just a few overs left due to bad light. I think England were batting & needed just another 30 odd runs at about 6 an over. I think it was an Ashes series.....2015 maybe? 

So bad light certainly does come into it. I know England played in near darkness to beat Pakista, but there was time wasting by the bowling side. 
    I get what you're saying, but it's utterly embarrassing for a team in the third innings of a match, to try to waste time (notwithstanding it wasn't time, but overs that counted on the last day).  The West Indies could still have won the match at the start of the day - it was a very long way from happening, but it was possible.  For them to throw the towel in so abjectly was pretty poor in my view.  I can't imagine Viv Richards' team given up so rapidly. 

All in all though, it was a great, all-round performance by England.  Some proper first innings batting and some exhilarating seam bowling, world-class hitting from Stokes (surely the best player in the world now) and a never-in-doubt bowling performance on the last day.  
  • Options
    So if we,'ve recovered from the inevitable stress and possibly excitement generated on Weds evening, we can look forward to the deciding 3rd Test on Friday.
  • Options
    Is Stokes the best player in the world right now?  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Is Stokes the best player in the world right now?  

I think so
  • Options
    Stokes fortunately isn't injured, but if he couldn't bowl he'd still be in the team as our best batsman now
  • Options

True. 
    and bowled from the wrong end all game -until the end when he picked up a couple of quick ones.
  • Options
    Excellent cricket from England- well done.
    To get over 400 runs first innings while the ball was swinging a lot was outstanding.
    So Sibley take a bow.

Generally though isn't it great to see live sport again.
    And 2 very good Test matches bearing in mind the circumstances
  • Options
    Excellent cricket from England- well done.
    To get over 400 runs first innings while the ball was swinging a lot was outstanding.
    So Sibley take a bow.

Generally though isn't it great to see live sport again.
    And 2 very good Test matches bearing in mind the circumstances
    Hope ticket sales are better for the decider - totally lacking atmosphere these matches!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam Curran is currently the golden child and probably next name on the teamsheet after the captain and Stokes. For my money unless the ball’s hooping round corners he’s regulation county trundler with a guaranteed buffet ball every over. The obvious replacement for JA is Ollie Robinson but status is everything in the England setup 

England's record at home when Sam Curran plays. P8 W8. 
  • Options
    Wel gor blimey, who'd a thunk it?
    A captain with some decent bowlers under cloudy skies, with, crucially some actual brain power, wins the toss and inserts the opposition to use the prevailing conditions to best advantage.
    It'll never catch on...

How'd that decision to bowl go?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We only won because of the decision to bat 
    when will they learn to have a bowl first ...:
  • Options
    What we now have is a complete mystery over which pace bowlers will play on Friday! Especially as the wickets have been shared around in both matches

An additional factor is whether we pick bowlers to suit the pitch and win the Test (to win the series and get Test championship points) or to start prioritising bowlers who will be competitive down under in 21/22

• Options
    What we now have is a complete mystery over which pace bowlers will play on Friday! Especially as the wickets have been shared around in both matches

An additional factor is whether we pick bowlers to suit the pitch and win the Test (to win the series and get Test championship points) or to start prioritising bowlers who will be competitive down under in 21/22

The former, I hope.

We've given games to Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Curran, Stokes, Archer and Wood. So, in my view, there's no need to "have a look" at anyone. Just pick Stokes, a spinner (presumably Bess) plus three other seamers with the only goal to win the match. 

Which three out of six? I can't decide! 
  • Options
    Quick question for the stat geeks, or just those with very good memories. In 1981, Mike Brearley was brought in to the team, as captain, with England behind in the series, going on to win it. A complete turnaround. Has that happened since? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Quick question for the stat geeks, or just those with very good memories. In 1981, Mike Brearley was brought in to the team, as captain, with England behind in the series, going on to win it. A complete turnaround. Has that happened since? 
    No, brearley was only captain over one spell.

apologies for the attempted humour. #themorningafterrelegation
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chris Cowdrey was brought in as captain in 1988 vs the West Indies in 1988. It didn't work...

I think that was the last time someone was brought in specifically due to their leadership qualities
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chris Cowdrey was brought in as captain in 1988 vs the West Indies in 1988. It didn't work...

I think that was the last time someone was brought in specifically due to their leadership qualities
    I remember that well. 

In this case, what I'm particularly interested in is whether anyone else has come in as captain and turned around a losing score. 

If Root were to do it this month, only a cretin wouldn't recognise it as a great achievement.
  • Options
    Sadly the weather forecast is not very good for the 5 days.