Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    Potential for a bit of drizzle this morning, which would complicate things
  • Options
    Potential for a bit of drizzle this morning, which would complicate things
    Typical bloody Manchester. 
  • Options
    You have to hand it to the West Indies bowlers.  There's no way I would fancy bowling at Ben Stokes without a helmet on when he's in this kind of mood. 
  • Options
    I think we need to have 2 cracks with a new ball, even if it only means 6 or 7 with the 2nd one.

Counting backwards, if there are 98 overs (min) tomorrow, and you lose 2 for a change of innings (stupid rule in my book, but hey ho), England should bat for no more than 10 overs tomorrow. Might only get another 50 or 60 runs but that would give us a lead of 270 /280. With 86 overs that means a run rate of over 3 an over. Let the Windies try to chase them down. Best way to win is to dangle the carrot.

But no, Joe will play it safe & consensus is that we will bat until gone 12, so we have a lead of 300+ & only have 70/75 overs at them.

Drawn game with Windies at 220 for 6 at close.

I agree with this. Bat 10 overs this morning (so an 18 over innings) lead of 280 ideally. Lose 2 overs for the change over gives us 86 overs to bowl them out and crucially 6 overs with the new ball.

Really hope they send Pope in next. Hes a busy player.. No explosions but can score all round the ground, is the sort of player where he seems to be quiet but suddenly he is on 35 off 20 balls. Curran and Woakes should bat before Burns and Sibley if needed.
  • Options
    Going well, thanks to Stokes. Lead by 269

Bat 4 more overs set them 300.
  • Options
    WI appeal had to be the most blatant time wasting tactic for some time.
  • Options
    There is no player in the world who can play the gritty, slow determined massive hundred Stokes did in the first innings and then play an innings like this in the second. Truly world class as a batsman before you even consider his bowling. Incredible player.
  • Options
    Pitching 3 ft outside the line!
  • Options
    Dillon would have been proud!
  • Options
    Root run out making sure Stokes is on Strike- please be Pope next please be Pope!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That appeal was nearly as bad.
  • Options
    Those reviews by the West Indies are an embarrassment.  I hope they don't point to poor umpiring at the end of the series.  Why waste reviews like that? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Those reviews by the West Indies are an embarrassment.  I hope they don't point to poor umpiring at the end of the series.  Why waste reviews like that? 
    Trying to take time out of the game banking on it getting dark around 7:00 - 7:30 tonight.
  • Options
    I reckon Dom Sibley will get a wicket or 2 with his dodgy legspin on this today.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Trying to take time out of the game banking on it getting dark around 7:00 - 7:30 tonight.
    It's just embarrassing to try to "take time out of the game" on a day with a minimum number of overs.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If the weather matches the forecast hopefully that won't happen.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    It's just embarrassing to try to "take time out of the game" on a day with a minimum number of overs.  
    Agree its embarrassing but if it does get dark you can play less than the minimum overs. If the situation was reversed I would be expecting us to do the same.
  • Options
    17 overs (9 today) lead by 289. This has to be the last over before the declaration.
  • Options
    Time to declare now surely 
  • Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Crawley and Buttler, both under pressure for their places but forced to sacrifice themselves to get quick runs, whereas Burns and Sibley are able to "protect their averages"!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Crawley and Buttler, both under pressure for their places but forced to sacrifice themselves to get quick runs, whereas Burns and Sibley are able to "protect their averages"!
    I'd argue its all about using those most suited to the situation. 
  • Options
    Lead 299. exactly 10 ovrs gone this morning. Thats perfect. WHY ARE WE NOT DECLARING?!??!?!
  • Options
    This has to be it surely???
  • Options
    Finally!
  • Options
    One over too many for me but we should be able to do this in 85 overs. Broad Woakes and Curran to strike while the ball is reasonably new, Stokes the enforcer and Curran's variations along with the spin of Bess/Root/Sibley with the old ball. Should have them at least 7 down before the 2nd new ball. Easy.
  • Options
    I can't see a WI win and think if we win, it'll be late on.

That's out!
  • Options
    Campbell c Buttler b Broad 4 (on appeal)

7-1
  • Options
    Only two teams (West Indies in 2007, Australia in 2005) have batted more than 71 overs in the fourth innings, against England, at Old Trafford in the last thirty years. 
  • Options
    I thought keepers were meant to appeal for anything and everything? Buttler was the only one not to do so and it very nearly resulted in us not taking that wicket.
  • Options
    "Captain Cretin" with an exceptional review that I was sure was not out!