Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    Sibley is going to have to be a necessary evil for cricket fans over the next ten years I'm afraid
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sibley is going to have to be a necessary evil for cricket fans over the next ten years I'm afraid
    Yes, and by then the crowd will be similar to today!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You just know that when WI bat they're going to nick everything!
  • Options
    Ffs we’ve been desperate for an opener to appear who can hold the fort for a long time, we finally have one and people are complaining. The bloke can’t bloody win. Windies have been bowling really well since the new ball btw 
    Not for me. It is always a balance and the fact that Sibley is virtually shotless will be more of a burden to England than it will a benefit IMO.
  • Options
    I can't take much more of Sibley.
    He literally has 1 shot.
    90 not out and he still gets criticised. 
  • Options
    Dinosaur cricket fans from a bygone era.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Ffs we’ve been desperate for an opener to appear who can hold the fort for a long time, we finally have one and people are complaining. The bloke can’t bloody win. Windies have been bowling really well since the new ball btw 
    Not for me. It is always a balance and the fact that Sibley is virtually shotless will be more of a burden to England than it will a benefit IMO.
    I genuinely can’t imagine any scenario in test cricket which an opener not getting out and slowly gathering runs is a bad thing. It’s a slow surface, one or two edges haven’t carried today. You can’t just go chasing the ball or you’ll get out. You have to be patient. 
  • Options
    Feels worth pointing out that Sibley's T20 record is pretty good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interestingly, his List A record is awful. It feels like he doesn't know how to compromise between all-out defence and all-out attack, but can do both. With a bit of time he'll probably be a decent List A player
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Exactly, he had a cushty place in the Surrey t20 team but wanted to play test cricket for England so left to get more game time. Good lad. 
  • Options
    Hundred up for sibley! Very well played. Cemented his position for a long while i reckon. 
  • Options
    Sibley is effective, gritty and entirely one dimensional. If one believes the "take a look in the book" point of view one can't argue with the result. The context of those runs will become clear when we see the Windies bat - this is a slow pitch where it could be argued that all three out batsmen did not apply themselves. This is the 5th slowest England Test hundred but he's in good company with Atherton occupying four of the top six places.

I do find it bizarre though that a batsman who has reached this level cannot find a way of guiding (and not even hitting) the ball from an off spinner through a gap from slip to mid off i.e. the field set for the bowling of Chase at times yesterday. Sibley tried it once and shaped as if he was an Under 11 schoolboy backing away to square leg as the ball followed him!
  • Options
    Well done Sibley, dedication to the cause.  Senior colleagues please take note.

Fingers crossed Stokes follows suit - his lunch will go down much more easily if he knocks off the last few in the next 10 minutes

• Options
    edited July 2020

I do find it bizarre though that a batsman who has reached this level cannot find a way of guiding (and not even hitting) the ball from an off spinner through a gap from slip to mid off i.e. the field set for the bowling of Chase at times yesterday. Sibley tried it once and shaped as if he was an Under 11 schoolboy backing away to square leg as the ball followed him!
    This is actually quite funny because both rob key and nasser hussain were saying this morning how difficult and ill advised it is to hit an off spinner through the off side and praising sibley for constantly moving with the spin. They said one of the few who were actually good at it and could pull it off was Rahul Dravid, one of the all time great players of spin. In short, you’re talking rubbish. 
  • Options

This is actually quite funny because both rob key and nasser hussain were saying this morning how difficult and ill advised it is to hit an off spinner through the off side and praising sibley for constantly moving with the spin. They said one of the few who were actually good at it and could pull it off was Rahul Dravid, one of the all time great players of spin. In short, you’re talking rubbish. 
    They were saying that Sibley should be able to do it and that Dravid was saying that it is an "English" issue not being able to do so because sub continental batsmen are taught how to do it. Key was making the point that kids are coached in this country to hit with the spin and not being able to hit against it makes them somewhat one dimensional. 

There are plenty of youngsters in this country who can now, especially when there is a gap from slip to mid off, because with the advent of T20 they are expected to be able to do so. Which is why I queried Sibley's inability to do so.

So, in short, you are talking rubbish. Try listening next time.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

What on earth are you talking about?
    Are you seriously saying that it is a high risk strategy to score any runs through the off side from an off spinner?
    You would look to play with the spin as much as possible, but you would also be looking for scoring opportunities on the off side, depending on the line they are bowling and how much the ball is turning.
    You have obviously never played the game and have a very limited knowledge of cricket.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Exactly, he had a cushty place in the Surrey t20 team but wanted to play test cricket for England so left to get more game time. Good lad. 
    He wasnt that cemented in the t20 team. Only played when others were unavailable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I like to see runs & I realise that its a fine balance between staying in & accumulating runs to pushing on & getting a decent total in xx number of overs.

So I suppose my question to the proper cricketing aficionados is where do you think England should be at now & what would be a good total by tea (ish). I think I'd prefer us to be 320 for 5 now with the view to getting 400 plus by tea, rather than plodding on. I know Stokes & Butler can both put the hammer down, but lots of times that doesn't work and I could quite see us struggling to get to 350 if one or both of those players get out cheaply (or in Stokes case, straight after lunch). 

I just like to see a run rate above 3.....preferably 3.5+.
  • Options
    edited June 16

Are you seriously saying that it is a high risk strategy to score any runs through the off side from an off spinner?
    You would look to play with the spin as much as possible, but you would also be looking for scoring opportunities on the off side, depending on the line they are bowling and how much the ball is turning.
    You have obviously never played the game and have a very limited knowledge of cricket.
    Yeah mate, only got level 2 coaching badges and had trials for Kent, but why consider that when you can just be a c*** for no reason? 

anyways, Players back out and stokes on 99.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Hundred up for stokes! No doubt a “One dimensional” reverse sweep to bring it up. 
  • Options

Yeah mate, only got level 2 coaching badges and had trials for Kent, but why consider that when you can just be a cunt for no reason? 

But since you don't know what you are talking about, you weren't able to come back at me with anything substantive regarding playing off spin. 

• Options
    The plan is obviously to bat all day and bat just once. 

Now they both have their tons I would hope they can start to at least rotate the strike more. Would like to see stokes get after Chase. With Gabriel not bowling well and on and off the field if we can hit chase out the attack then it's a hell of a lot of work for 3 quicks who haven't had much rest since the last test. 

Pope in next and is a busy player. Hopefully he can cash in on the tiredness. Buttler can then go full one day mode.
  • Options

Yeah mate, only got level 2 coaching badges and had trials for Kent, but why consider that when you can just be a cunt for no reason? 

• Options

I think you started the "when you can just be a cunt for no reason"  by saying that I was "talking rubbish". When did you get your Level 2 because the game has moved on and it has clearly left you behind? I have a 17 year old who has been in and around the Kent age group set up since he was 11 - and if he couldn't hit an off spinner through the covers I would suggest that he should give up any aspiration of playing county cricket.

Which is why I raised the original question as to why Sibley was incapable of even placing the ball in a 30 yard gap. And the same question was posed by Key (who, incidentally, has coached my son along with the likes of Gary Kirsten, Min Patel, Julian Wood, Chris Nash, Geraint Jones, Michael Yardy, Neil Taylor, Calum MacLeod, Matt Walker, Jimmy Adams plus probably another 20 or so County and international cricketers) and Hussein because it is too easy for bowlers to set fields to him. And Chase with 61 Test wickets (and 8 of those against us in one innings) is no Lyon!

• Options
    The mood has turned rather sourrrrrrrrr. On a lighter note, how good was Bumble taking Holding through the Thomas the Tank Engine characters this morning!?  :D
  • Options
    And that's what happens when you can only play "with the spin". Stokes doesn't have just one player on the leg side does he?