Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Sydenham’s finest. 
  • Had this big bugger at work today. Pretty sure it was him setting off the intruder alarm on Sunday. Not had time to look it up, but reckon a Hawk Moth? -

• Loads of these chaps in my front garden. 

They have burrowed under grass. When I accidentally disturbed them they went nuts, but then dragged all the grass back to hide their.... Hive?
  • Paging Mr @Stig apologies for the standard of photography, not quite up to yours to say the least, but I think this is a mint moth?

Maybe 15mm across. Pretty little thing. 

• It certainly is a mint moth :smiley:
  • Had this scruffy individual visit the garden recently.  Not sure what he'll grow into.

• It'll be a moth. I'd guess from the genus Spilosoma, but not necessarily. Could be a White Ermine or a Buff Ermine, difficult to tell. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Here's a couple.  First up a Box Tree Moth (White Variety) that was outside yesterday:

And this one's a Silver Y that was in the house earlier:

The caterpillars of that Chinese Box tree moth munched their way through a whole swathe of my hedge and completely killed off eight mature plants.
    The pattern on the back of the Silver Y looks like a monkey with wings  ;)
  • A very grumpy monkey at that!
  • I just checked my Silver Y collection and was very disappointed that none of the others had the monkey's head look. I did find this one though with a sort of sinister devil's head with goats horns.

• Magnificent Leopard Slug in Charlton Lane tonight.

• Not sure if this is inner city but this video is so sweet!
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/B0kraOKrxQo2/
  • Seen some great tits around the city recently.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Seen some great tits around the city recently.
    Always have been common around parts of the city.

In my childhood they wore bowler hats & carried rolled umbrellas as badges of office....
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

This Seal is in a fishing lake near Rochford Rail Station (just north of Southend Airport). It's been there for about a month now. It must have got there by swimming up the River Roach to the point where it is only a couple of feet wide. Terrible pictures (but visibility was horrible today). You can see though that it had caught a whopper of a fish, it's only problem was seeing the gulls away whilst it dined. It's estimated that in the last month it's munched its way through £4,000 worth of fish stocks. If I get the chance before it's liberated, I'll go back and get some pictures in good light.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23260111.rochford-reservoir-seal-nicknamed-nelson-locals/ 
    There was an item on Look East (BBC local news for East Anglia) last night about increasingly odd seal behaviour in Norfolk. They are swimming up rivers, and in the Norfolk Broads. There are even a few wandering around high streets. One had visited a kebab shop. Perhaps that seemed a better option than raw fish.
  • N01R4M said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Seen some great tits around the city recently.
    Always have been common around parts of the city.

In my childhood they wore bowler hats & carried rolled umbrellas as badges of office....
    now they make schoolboy innuendos on internet fora
  • Stig said:
    Love this Hornet Mimicking Fly. Another one for the critters on my finger collection:

"This may look like a Hornet but it's actually a fly and is totally harmless...ARGHHHHHH F**K it stung me"
  • Not inner city as they were in the country near cheddar but anyone know which caterpillars make this?

Could be oak processionary caterpillars or pine processionary caterpillars. They can be lethal to humans and mammals as their tiny hairs get into the lungs and it's impossible to get rid of them. You see them a lot in France, walking along in a line, hence their name
  • Gribbo said:
    Not inner city as they were in the country near cheddar but anyone know which caterpillars make this?

Could be oak processionary caterpillars or pine processionary caterpillars. They can be lethal to humans and mammals as their tiny hairs get into the lungs and it's impossible to get rid of them. You see them a lot in France, walking along in a line, hence their name
    I've never seen Processionary Caterpillars except in pictures. They look brilliant though, so I hope to one day.

With some caterpillars, the name indicates their preferred and in some cases, only, foodplant. I don't know how fussy the Processionaries are, but that's not oak or pine. A type of moth I thought of that builds tents like this is the Ermine Moths (Yponomeuta). There are at least eight species in the UK though, and most can only be distinguished by identifying the foodplant. Unfortunately I'm hopeless at identifying plants. Anyone know what sort of plant they are on?
  • Stig said:
    Magnificent Leopard Slug in Charlton Lane tonight.

Faster than a Charlton Full Back!

Great picture.
  • edited February 2023
    There is a Mandarin (or Mandarins?) that periodically visit in Chislehurst, and generally disappears after a week. This time he has been back for a month. I think the main thing keeping him here is that he appears to now have a mate. Sadly for him, that mate is a female mallard!

• A ridiculously tame fox. No zoom at all on this photo, he was completely unbothered by my presence.

I couldn’t lay there if I were him, those curtains would play havoc with my OCD