Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• edited July 2021

Calling them “wildlife” could be a bit of a stretch, too cute kittens in the ScooterCaffe in Lower Marsh. 
  • This moth has been on my kitchen window (on the outside) all afternoon!

• Great photos! That's a massive, and hideous caterpillar  :D
  • A few swans! This is Welsh Harp reservoir near Hendon

• edited July 2021
    Great photos! That's a massive, and hideous caterpillar  :D
    Thanks. After that, I went back to work as I had a video call with my boss. Mrs Stig picked the caterpillar up in a dustpan (she wanted to move it somewhere to safety, but daren't touch it). She brought it into the house to show me and I had to explain to the boss what was going on. I picked it up in my fingers to show him on the video cam what the kerfuffle was about. I could barely believe the power this thing had as it wriggled in my fingers. Not sure how impressed the boss was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Great photos! That's a massive, and hideous caterpillar  :D
    Thanks. After that, I went back to work as I had a video call with my boss. Mrs Stig picked the caterpillar up in a dustpan (she wanted to move it somewhere to safety, but daren't touch it). She brought it into the house to show me and I had to explain to the boss what was going on. I picked it up in my fingers to show him on the video cam what the kerfuffle was about. I could barely believe the power this thing had as it wriggled in my fingers. Not sure how impressed the boss was.
    By the sound of things, the caterpillar wasn't impressed either! I'm not sure I'd particularly want to pick that up...
  • This really is my favourite thread on here, can someone start an argument? ;)

I'll take some more pictures of that beautiful wood duck soon, his feathers are starting to develop, and he's getting more beautiful every day!
  • We now live on the Isle of Wight and we receive daily visits from badgers, looking for food. This particular one has developed the endearing habit of lying down on our patio and just waiting to be fed. She can lie there for up to 30 minutes, just staring at the patio doors. If we still haven't fed her by then she will get up and knock on the doors with her nose. When we do open the patio doors to feed her she never backs away, just stands up and comes right up to us and starts eating while we are still putting the peanuts on the ground. I have never seen such unusual behaviour from a wild animal before.

Absolutely brilliant 
  • We now live on the Isle of Wight and we receive daily visits from badgers, looking for food. This particular one has developed the endearing habit of lying down on our patio and just waiting to be fed. She can lie there for up to 30 minutes, just staring at the patio doors. If we still haven't fed her by then she will get up and knock on the doors with her nose. When we do open the patio doors to feed her she never backs away, just stands up and comes right up to us and starts eating while we are still putting the peanuts on the ground. I have never seen such unusual behaviour from a wild animal before.

Amazing!
    Can I ask whereabouts on the Island you live?

Amazing!
    We live in St. Lawrence, just along the coast from Ventnor.

Amazing!
    Cool thanks, I was just curious.
    I fell in love with the Island after I first visited way back in 1965.
    I like all of it, but I have a particular love for the area roughly covered by a triangle between Sandown, Bembridge and Brading.
    Saw my first ever Red Squirrel there back in the early 80's

Amazing!
    I like all of it, but I have a particular love for the area roughly covered by a triangle between Sandown, Bembridge and Brading.
    We now live on the Isle of Wight and we receive daily visits from badgers, looking for food. This particular one has developed the endearing habit of lying down on our patio and just waiting to be fed. She can lie there for up to 30 minutes, just staring at the patio doors. If we still haven't fed her by then she will get up and knock on the doors with her nose. When we do open the patio doors to feed her she never backs away, just stands up and comes right up to us and starts eating while we are still putting the peanuts on the ground. I have never seen such unusual behaviour from a wild animal before.

Amazing!
    Yes, as well as badgers we get plenty of visits from red squirrels as well. It is a great island.
  • Huskaris said:
    This really is my favourite thread on here, can someone start an argument? ;)

No, go boil your head!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a London spotting, but after watching England's ducks at Lord's on Monday, I saw these Muscovy Ducks (I had to look them up) in Milton Keynes yesterday!

• edited August 2021
    Huskaris said:
    I saw this today. No idea what it is but 100% sure that it's not a standard mallard. 

Got a few pictures but this is the best one. 

He's developing a lot. 

His blue tail feathers are starting to develop and his eye is looking redder. He also has some feathers developing on his head!
  • There's a second species of parakeet in London, the monk parakeet. There's a very small population on the Isle of Dogs, which can sometimes be seen in Mudchute Park. They're more common on the continent. 

At one time the local council was trying to exterminate the London population, but lots of residents refused to let the pest controllers into their gardens, so the parakeets survived long enough that eventually the council's budget got cut and they gave up.

• My brother took this photo of a green woodpecker in his Bromley garden a couple of days ago..

Not sure I buy into the photo he sent me yesterday claiming that the woodpecker was working a logical grid system.

I saw one of those a couple of weeks ago in Chislehurst hopping around on the floor! Absolutely beautiful!
  • After last night's rain slugs have invaded the garden, they are everywhere and it is difficult to walk on the lawn without treading on them.
  • After last night's rain slugs have invaded the garden, they are everywhere and it is difficult to walk on the lawn without treading on them.
    I don't suppose they have invaded as such, they were there all along. Most slugs live underground. I guess these guys have just popped up to take advantage of the wet conditions.