Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    It seems the cavalry has finally arrived on my runner beans in the form of dozens of ladybird larvae

and pupa

but by the time they emerge as a full fighting force it'll be too late to save the last of my beans which are being overrun by blackfly.  Useless sods, they have one job ...  :(
    Sometimes wildlife just does not know how to help itself.
    If it got on with its job efficiently there would be no need for sprays that would presumably take out the ladybirds with the blacklist.
    My garden is overrun with slugs and snails and I don't like using chemicals to control them.
    A permanent full-on dining experience for hedgehogs. And with allotments behind the gardens there is plenty of road-free space.
    But they just can't be bothered...
    are the boundary fences, between you and the allotments, hedgehog friendly?  All that bounty is irrelevant to them if they are blocked off by fencing e.g. with barge boards at the bottom
  • Options
    Not London, but an Ipswich squirrel having a drink (not something I recall seeing before)

• Options
    My cats seemed very interested in a bush/tree that grows into our garden. I took a closer peek and saw this. 

Given the comings and goings I'm almost certain it is a blackbird nest. 
  • Options

I realise this is not strictly London Wildlife, but had to share this.  Eight Blue Tit chicks from our nest box ready to fledge at any time now.

rub it in why don't you - the ungrateful tits around here have resolutely declined either of our nest boxes for the last 5 springs in a row - and we wouldn't even dream of invading their domestic privacy with a camera
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    About 3 years ago we had a squirrel stop visiting, presumably moving on to pastures new. She had a distinctive cut in her left ear and an insatiable taste for monkey nuts.

In the meantime Nutkins 2020 came by, Cyril, Ainsley and many more. All hungry for monkey nuts, some even climbing on our window seal, but none so brazen.

Well, Legacy Nutkins is back and no window in our house is safe.

ghastly invasive species critically predating our native songbird population - tasty roasted with rosemary tho
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    RedPanda said:
    About 3 years ago we had a squirrel stop visiting, presumably moving on to pastures new. She had a distinctive cut in her left ear and an insatiable taste for monkey nuts.

In the meantime Nutkins 2020 came by, Cyril, Ainsley and many more. All hungry for monkey nuts, some even climbing on our window seal, but none so brazen.

Well, Legacy Nutkins is back and no window in our house is safe.

ghastly invasive species critically predating our native songbird population - tasty roasted with rosemary tho
    Best I keep them well feed then so they don't get desperate and eat birds' eggs. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

I realise this is not strictly London Wildlife, but had to share this.  Eight Blue Tit chicks from our nest box ready to fledge at any time now.

rub it in why don't you - the ungrateful tits around here have resolutely declined either of our nest boxes for the last 5 springs in a row - and we wouldn't even dream of invading their domestic privacy with a camera

Lol.This is the first season in the five that we've lived here that we've got this far. Every other year was a disaster.  Absolutely spot on parents have been working their little tits off to keep this lot fed.
  • Options
    Grifted said:
    Hope these guys survive. Nest is on very busy woodland path in Bexley
    Cracking picture mate. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Grifted said:
    Hope these guys survive. Nest is on very busy woodland path in Bexley
    Cracking picture mate. 
    Absolutely. It's not very often, but sometimes I think a like button is not enough. I want a love button for this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This huge moth turned up in my back garden the other day. It looked about 6-7cm long. Googling ‘large brown moth uk’ suggested that it could be a species called Old Lady, but not 100% sure on that. Are there any moth experts on CL? I couldn’t get a close up shot because it was about 15 feet off the ground, on a chimney breast of a ww2 damaged Victorian terrace - this pic was taken out of an upstairs window 
  • Options
    It looks like some form of Carpet Moth to me, subfamily Larentiinae. There are about 150 species in the UK alone, I wouldn't like to say which one this is though. 
  • Options
    On the opposite side I had this most delicate moth land on my window. 

I photographed it from the top and the bottom and looking at the photo the most obvious thing is how much my windows need cleaning  :/

Huge problem with reflections, but you get the gist ... I have no idea of it's name.

• Options
    Think it's probably a Common Emerald.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Here's a couple.  First up a Box Tree Moth (White Variety) that was outside yesterday:

And this one's a Silver Y that was in the house earlier:

The caterpillars of that Chinese Box tree moth munched their way through a whole swathe of my hedge and completely killed off eight mature plants.
  • Options
    Some fantastic photographs have been put on this thread btw.