Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    Saw a couple of grey wagtails by the river in Hall Place today.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Genuine albino grey, as opposed to a grey just lacking pigmentation. Turns out they don't taste any different from a grey...
     -

• Options
    Saw a couple of grey wagtails by the river in Hall Place today.

Followed a brood of yellow wagtail a few years ago, from eggs to fledging. I'll look for the photos on laptop
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Love that Leopard Moth. Here's a couple of real inner city moths, a Jersey Tiger and an Angle Shades both seen in Bow this week.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Saw this inbetween Chislehurst and Petts wood the other day

And then on our bird feeder, a great spotted woodpecker!

Was the red doe around High Ems way, mate?  
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Huskaris said:

Hey mate, not entirely sure where that is, but this was by the Hawkwood estate (there's a house near there called Hawk Wing), if you walk down the gravel path beyond Cooper's school towards Petts Wood, there's a water pool there that dogs play in. 

Absolutely beautiful part of the world. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    Huskaris said:

Hey mate, not entirely sure where that is, but this was by the Hawkwood estate (there's a house near there called Hawk Wing), if you walk down the gravel path beyond Cooper's school towards Petts Wood, there's a water pool there that dogs play in. 

Absolutely beautiful part of the world. 
    Yeah I  know where you mean mate. Lucky seeing them around there as its pretty locked in by urbanised areas. Wondering if it's a result of burgeoning deer numbers?
  • Options

Philodromus waving at the players today.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Heron in Southwark Park

• Options
    Isn’t that a heron?
  • Options
    Isn’t that a heron?

Yes, I've no idea why I typed crane, I think I must have been influenced by one of the construction sites I walked past, and all their cranes!
  • Options
    Outside The Oak this afternoon.  Seems to have been a good year for these; I've seen a few of them.

• Options
    Stig said:
    Outside The Oak this afternoon.  Seems to have been a good year for these; I've seen a few of them.

Is that a Jersey Tiger Moth? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Is that a Jersey Tiger Moth? 
    Yes, it certainly is.
  • Options
    Did anyone manage to get a picture of the Lesser Spotted Aneke today?
  • Options
    I think this chap has been causing chaos in the local people's ornamental ponds!

• Options
    Southbank said:
    I watched this family of Egyptian Geese grow every day from tiny bundles of feathers to fully grown on the steps and beach outside Tate Modern. The 2 parents kept all 5 chicks alive.
    My favourite birds!

Currently in Chislehurst we have a pair with 9 chicks that someone had to shepherd across the road as the parents had them on the golf course and then walked them to the pond. 

The best bit is I have been feeding the parents since they were little chicks, and now I'm helping them with their own ones!

Unbelievably they are now a couple of months old and all 9 are still with us, best I've ever seen is 4, so your 5 there is incredibly impressive. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Southbank said:
    I watched this family of Egyptian Geese grow every day from tiny bundles of feathers to fully grown on the steps and beach outside Tate Modern. The 2 parents kept all 5 chicks alive.
    My favourite birds!

Currently in Chislehurst we have a pair with 9 chicks that someone had to shepherd across the road as the parents had them on the golf course and then walked them to the pond. 

The best bit is I have been feeding the parents since they were little chicks, and now I'm helping them with their own ones!

Unbelievably they are now a couple of months old and all 9 are still with us, best I've ever seen is 4, so your 5 there is incredibly impressive. 
    In Regents Park it says that you should not feed the birds. Apparently it’s because the bread etc that people usually feed the ducks can give them diabetes. Now I don’t really know whether that is true but it does seem to me logical.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Huskaris said:
    Southbank said:
    My favourite birds!

In Regents Park it says that you should not feed the birds. Apparently it’s because the bread etc that people usually feed the ducks can give them diabetes. Now I don’t really know whether that is true but it does seem to me logical.
    Bread isn't good for most birds. I do think that parks should have more positive messages though.

Instead of "don't feed the birds" suggest what people should be feeding them with.