Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Huskaris said:
    Southbank said:
    I watched this family of Egyptian Geese grow every day from tiny bundles of feathers to fully grown on the steps and beach outside Tate Modern. The 2 parents kept all 5 chicks alive.
    My favourite birds!

Currently in Chislehurst we have a pair with 9 chicks that someone had to shepherd across the road as the parents had them on the golf course and then walked them to the pond. 

The best bit is I have been feeding the parents since they were little chicks, and now I'm helping them with their own ones!

Unbelievably they are now a couple of months old and all 9 are still with us, best I've ever seen is 4, so your 5 there is incredibly impressive. 
    In Regents Park it says that you should not feed the birds. Apparently it’s because the bread etc that people usually feed the ducks can give them diabetes. Now I don’t really know whether that is true but it does seem to me logical.
    Yeah bread is terrible for them, it can also give birds something called "angel wing" which is basically terminal and incredibly sad to see. It makes them look like they have a broken wing. 

We buy Charnwood Marine duck food which is basically ground up shrimp in pellets! Very good for them!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Frozen ponds on Chislehurst!

Great photos

• Options
    I've not seen them, but a pair of Tawny Owls is making a right racket outside!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Oddly enough, I saw a fox carrying a huge piece of chicken the other day. Where was that photo taken?
  • Options
    That was in Southend. I suspect the first rubbish collections after Christmas had loads chicken and turkey bits. I bet for the foxes it must have been like... err Christmas. 
  • Options

The fields next us at the school have horses on one side and the other has sheep with young lambs, always cautious that our dogs don’t frighten them especially with Bow who hadn’t seen them before. Interestly the young lambs approach the fence line to watch the dogs and now take next to no notice of them. 🤷‍♂️

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whooooo?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Oddly enough, I saw a fox carrying a huge piece of chicken the other day. Where was that photo taken?
    KFC Bermondsey.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Just went into my bathroom, and there's a ladybird on my toothpaste! Way too early, I guess the warm weather has brought it out

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Whooooo?
    twit
  • Options
    Just went into my bathroom, and there's a ladybird on my toothpaste! Way too early, I guess the warm weather has brought it out

They're know for their personal hygiene.
  • Options
    Yes you're right about the warm weather.

From Wiki: 'Harmonia axyridis becomes dormant in cooler months, though it will move around whenever the temperature reaches about 10 °C'
  • Options
    Looks familiar ... just can't think who  :|

• Options

Now I know who's squeezing the toothpaste in the middle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    This is my most unexpected insect sighting of the year so far. Euro Firebug.

So called les gendarmes, frenchside.
  • Options

They're parenting skills leave a lot to be desired. :D