Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congestion charge increase - And back Monday!

Comments

• So anyone living in them areas would have to pay £15 a day? Way to go to bankrupt alot of people. It won't happen 
  • Khan promised to freeze all rail fares within London, when voted in, this became fares under the control of TFL. Like all politicians bending the truth.  
  • rananegra said:
    Yes, I can live with the ULEZ because there's a good policy aim from that. There will be a discount on the CC if you live in the area, but it still means you'd be paying the discounted rate just to have a car and live within the S & N Circulars. 

Love how people are talking about Khan being the worst Mayor ever and forget about the Garden Bridge, the Emirates Air Line, the Boris Bus and loads of other follies to stoke the ego of the current PM. Now, I wonder, did any of these things come out of TFL's budget? I don't particularly like Khan, but a lot of the criticisms of him are very unfair. 
    Red Ken, Bozo and Madiq. What a trio of quality Mayor's we have had. Can the bar get any lower?
  • seth plum said:
    And he blew millions on plans for a garden bridge...oh hang on.
    Let's check with Jennifer Acuri.
    There's also that cable car 
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Khan promised to freeze all rail fares within London, when voted in, this became fares under the control of TFL. Like all politicians bending the truth.  
    Did he? Fairly sure he promised to freeze TFL fares for 4 years (which he has done). Not sure he can be blamed for not being able to stop price rises that aren't under his control.
  • Doesn't this new extension only affect cars that are older than 2005 and diesels, ie those with high Co2 emissions?
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Khan promised to freeze all rail fares within London, when voted in, this became fares under the control of TFL. Like all politicians bending the truth.  
    Did he? Fairly sure he promised to freeze TFL fares for 4 years (which he has done). Not sure he can be blamed for not being able to stop price rises that aren't under his control.
    Is TFL Rail not under his control?
  • PopIcon said:
    Doesn't this new extension only affect cars that are older than 2005 and diesels, ie those with high Co2 emissions?
    That's the ULEZ extension. The latest wheeze from the government is that they want to extend the congestion charge out as far as the S/N Circulars, so if you drive to The Valley, say, you'll pay £15. It's a tax grab fair and square. TFL are stuffed because of Covid, and the govt have decided that London is an easy target for extra taxes that will go down well outside of London.  None of the Vehicle Excise Duty we pay gets spent in London, it all goes elsewhere. There's no central govt funding for public transport fares in London. But equally, there's hardly any Tories so they figure it's not going to hurt them that much. It'll probably go down well in Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Brum, Cornwall ? And it has a massive knock on in terms of higher costs for delivery drivers and tradesmen. 
  • I see the usual names popping up to spout their hatred. 
    This thread needs to be taken into the swamp with the other extreme politics ASAP. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Doesn't this new extension only affect cars that are older than 2005 and diesels, ie those with high Co2 emissions?
    It's meant to apply to emissions but i am sceptical. My old x reg is cleaner than a lot of newer cars, e.g. range rover co2 emissins are 3 times higher- in fact so many of the modern huge cars have 3litre engines that swamp my 1.4l.

The guidance indicates it's age based on generalities; the option to upgrade is too expensive, uneconomic for most. There's also a car scrappage scheme, for those on income and disability benefits 

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/car-and-motorcycle-scrappage-scheme.

Footnote:

The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:

• Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
    • Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015
  • cafc999 said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    I'm sure there are those more knowledgeable on trains than me on here (this is CL after all) but I think the TFL services are run by another operator, so I guess the answer to your question is sort of. I also guess that you're implying fares have increased and if that's the case then I imagine it is due to the operating company increasing fares rather than TFL but again I'm sure someone else could clarify.
  • colthe3rd said:
    cafc999 said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    I'm sure there are those more knowledgeable on trains than me on here (this is CL after all) but I think the TFL services are run by another operator, so I guess the answer to your question is sort of. I also guess that you're implying fares have increased and if that's the case then I imagine it is due to the operating company increasing fares rather than TFL but again I'm sure someone else could clarify.
    Pretty certain London Overground is also run by TFL
  • TFL/RBG have installed a new bus lane from the ferry roundabout to Ransom Walk, thus make Woolwich Road a single lane each way, the traffic is horrendous. It took 15mins to Charlton from the ferry roundabout and not one bus came down the bus lane.  
  • rananegra said:
    PopIcon said:
    That's the ULEZ extension. The latest wheeze from the government is that they want to extend the congestion charge out as far as the S/N Circulars, so if you drive to The Valley, say, you'll pay £15. It's a tax grab fair and square. TFL are stuffed because of Covid, and the govt have decided that London is an easy target for extra taxes that will go down well outside of London.  None of the Vehicle Excise Duty we pay gets spent in London, it all goes elsewhere. There's no central govt funding for public transport fares in London. But equally, there's hardly any Tories so they figure it's not going to hurt them that much. It'll probably go down well in Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Brum, Cornwall ? And it has a massive knock on in terms of higher costs for delivery drivers and tradesmen. 
    Isn’t it £15 congestion PLUS £12.50 ulez meaning £27.50 plus your parking and petrol.....
  • Dansk_Red said:
    TFL/RBG have installed a new bus lane from the ferry roundabout to Ransom Walk, thus make Woolwich Road a single lane each way, the traffic is horrendous. It took 15mins to Charlton from the ferry roundabout and not one bus came down the bus lane.  
    This is happening all over London. I know traders who are giving up because they can’t get around anymore. The irony is that, because traffic is at a standstill most of the time, emissions are worse than before. One Islington councillor suggested that workmen, deliveries, traders etc, invest in a bicycle type vehicle with a trailer on the back. Good luck with that if you’re a scaffolder.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    TFL/RBG have installed a new bus lane from the ferry roundabout to Ransom Walk, thus make Woolwich Road a single lane each way, the traffic is horrendous. It took 15mins to Charlton from the ferry roundabout and not one bus came down the bus lane.  
    This is happening all over London. I know traders who are giving up because they can’t get around anymore. The irony is that, because traffic is at a standstill most of the time, emissions are worse than before. One Islington councillor suggested that workmen, deliveries, traders etc, invest in a bicycle type vehicle with a trailer on the back. Good luck with that if you’re a scaffolder.

That's progress isn't it? Makes you laugh how out of touch some of these officials are

Just worked out that if the congestion charge came in then my wife would not be able to afford to go to work as a dinner lady. Well she could but instead of a 15 drive it would take her an hour each way, even more on the days she cares for her dad.

• Sponsored links:

• I see the usual names popping up to spout their hatred. 
    This thread needs to be taken into the swamp with the other extreme politics ASAP. 
    Go for it. Name names and quote the 'hatred'.
  • Nobody is suggesting that scaffolders get a bike. Modal shift towards cycling and walking needs to happen - so that all those people who don't NEED to make their journeys by car but WANT to do so are moved off the road to make way for people who DO need to make their journeys by car or van (trades, delivery etc) are able to do so. 
  • edited October 2020
    Dansk_Red said:
    Yep. Islington, hackney and camden council are the worst for it. I look forward to these councillors, if they live in the area needing a tradesman/emergency vehicle to get to their house.

Some would say it's a case of tfl forcing people out of their  own cars and onto tfl public transport. You can pay us if you can afford to drive your car or you can pay us if you cant.
  • Nobody is suggesting that scaffolders get a bike. Modal shift towards cycling and walking needs to happen - so that all those people who don't NEED to make their journeys by car but WANT to do so are moved off the road to make way for people who DO need to make their journeys by car or van (trades, delivery etc) are able to do so. 
    We want a clean environment, and less congestion and as many people walking and cycling as are able.
    The issue is probably about persuading, and providing/suggesting alternatives rather than people being judgemental, especially people telling others what they do or don't need.
    I read a cycling lobbyist saying 'tough, change or be changed'. My sister in law has MS, struggles to walk let alone cycle, she is the last person who should be hectored into change or be changed.
    Persuasion is the key.

And whilst we try to  do that lets tax them to the hilt!

But recent moves are suggesting just that.
    Not so much scaffolders per se.
     The last recent increase of the congestion charge has hit trades persons hard.
    Many offices in London are serviced by all sorts of trades after hours. Many start at around 6,7pm and work through to the early hours. There is f**k all congestion in the city of London at these times. 10pm you must be joking.

These schemes are mainly set up by snotty nosed twonks who live a 15 minute cylcle ride away from the centre of London.
    Something like 70% of people who work in London live over 30 mile's away from the city centre. That's not too practical on a bloody Boris bike!
  • cafc999 said:
    Nobody is suggesting that scaffolders get a bike. Modal shift towards cycling and walking needs to happen - so that all those people who don't NEED to make their journeys by car but WANT to do so are moved off the road to make way for people who DO need to make their journeys by car or van (trades, delivery etc) are able to do so. 

And whilst we try to  do that lets tax them to the hilt!

Sadiq has never said he wants to extend the congestion charge. In fact he's said the opposite.
  • Coronavirus and Crossrail: Five reasons why TfL's finances are struggling

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54642859
  • sam3110 said:
    Did I also see the zone will be extended as far as Clapham, Woolwich and Catford? Following the south circular
    The ULEZ is being extended to the north and south circulars next year

The government is threatening TfL, that to get a financial bailout the congestion charge zone should also to be extended to the north and south circulars. To me that would be political suicide for the Tories in London. South and Southwest London actually get off quite lightly as the A205 is such a weirdly shaped (and useless) road. but vast amounts of North London would be caught by this.

Funny how the N.& S. Circulars mirror the tube system. Much more far reaching north of the river than south. 

As for TFL's black hole.......blame the Oyster card. Befits that was introduced many commuters paid up front with annual season tickets. Maybe paid monthly but TFL had an income stream. Now it's all paid on the day of travel. 

Sometimes advancement doesn't work. 
  • addick19 said:
    Disgusted by the attitude towards Khan by the Government who seem to be ignoring the fact that we are in a pandemic. Wtf is TFL meant to do to make up the shortfall?

TFL were in huge trouble before Covid 19 - which Khan has to take the blame for. He is the worst mayor in London's history. Remember, this is the guy who said it was perfectly safe to travel by TFL at the beginning of the pandemic- how many bus drivers have died since then. He also encouraged people to walk -or cycle- to work and is behind the stupid cycle lanes that mean emergency vehicles such as fire appliances can't access roads.