Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congestion charge increase - And back Monday!

Comments

• Congestion charge my arse..... its more congested than ever these days, mostly thanks to the 1000s of Toyota Prius' driven by Uber cabbies, who don't have to pay, and most of whom couldn't drive a nail in.
    This badly affects my son who works nights in Waterloo, has to drive in before 10pm but is usually finished by 3-4am when no trains are running. What a shitshow, just another tax on the working person.
    All private hire drivers (including ubers) have to pay cc. Taxis are exempt
    If you make 10 journeys within the CC zone, the charge is pretty insignificant

Do Ubers make many CC zone journeys anyway? I imagine their main business is in the suburbs OR at night
  • edited May 2020
    Congestion charge my arse..... its more congested than ever these days, mostly thanks to the 1000s of Toyota Prius' driven by Uber cabbies, who don't have to pay, and most of whom couldn't drive a nail in.
    This badly affects my son who works nights in Waterloo, has to drive in before 10pm but is usually finished by 3-4am when no trains are running. What a shitshow, just another tax on the working person.

Do Ubers make many CC zone journeys anyway? I imagine their main business is in the suburbs OR at night
    No idea - just pointing out that all mini cabs have to pay, which is why it can be problematic to order a cab through an app to take you in the zone.
  • Very good thread; talks about the reset moment for transport in London

• This will hit the live music venues.
  • MrWalker said:
    This will hit the live music venues.
    The live music venues with a handful of people present - 2m apart ?

Cinema, theatre and live music venues are all going to change forever. 
  • Congestion charge my arse..... its more congested than ever these days, mostly thanks to the 1000s of Toyota Prius' driven by Uber cabbies, who don't have to pay, and most of whom couldn't drive a nail in.

You want to see it on a Friday and Saturday night in the west end. They are everywhere so I'd say they do a hell of a lot in the cc zone.

It is correct they do have to pay congestion charge if they enter the zone as any vehicle with a green roundel does. However any journey that starts, ends or goes through the congestion zone a percentage gets charged to the passenger so the driver doesn't lose out. I'm not sure if they do enough, they might even make money from doing 10-20 journeys through the zone.
  • C hizz said:
    Chizz said:
    LenGlover said:
    I am no fan of Johnson and his mob but unbelievable cynicism by Khan and his henchmen, in my opinion, to make political capital out of a crisis in the hope and belief that Johnson rather than he will attract the resulting opprobrium.

It seems to me that political advancement trumps the welfare of the people. 'Twas ever thus I suppose regardless of whether the incumbents were red or blue.
    TfL needed a bailout, unquestionably. But that, vital bailout came with attachments, ie that the money had to be repaid.  If it's cynical, it's a cynical plot by the Prime Minister, who would want nothing better than to see a Labour Mayor of London being forced to put up costs.  

But it's not cynical, on either part.  The government have had to bailout TfL.  The money had to be repaid.  And the right people to pay back a bailout to the government are those that drive, not those that use public transport.  
    And what about the people who work night shifts that mean they cannot use public transport but who are now going to have to fork out £15 a day extra? 
    The congestion charge was brought in to reverse the damage created, in the most part, by others.  It's intrinsically unfair.  

But that doesn't mean it isn't necessary.  
     What does that even mean?

.At the very least they could stop calling it a congestion charge
    Which bit are you struggling to understand? 
  • edited May 2020
    No travelling on public transport  = no oyster cards = no revenue.

Should have stuck to season tickets. Money upfront instead of on the drip. And now the drip had stopped. 
  • MrWalker said:
    This will hit the live music venues.
    The live music venues with a handful of people present - 2m apart ?

Cinema, theatre and live music venues are all going to change forever. 
    After we get back to normal, obviously.
  • No travelling on public transport  = no oyster cards = no revenue.

Should have stuck to season tickets. Money upfront instead of on the drip. And now the drip had stopped. 
    And have the black hole appear now, as everyone cashes in their STs and gets refunds?? 
  • Sponsored links:

• No travelling on public transport  = no oyster cards = no revenue.

You get refunds on season tickets.

You want to see it on a Friday and Saturday night in the west end. They are everywhere so I'd say they do a hell of a lot in the cc zone.

It is correct they do have to pay congestion charge if they enter the zone as any vehicle with a green roundel does. However any journey that starts, ends or goes through the congestion zone a percentage gets charged to the passenger so the driver doesn't lose out. I'm not sure if they do enough, they might even make money from doing 10-20 journeys through the zone.
    Up until now evenings weren't covered by the CC anyway

AND how many people take an Uber on Friday and Saturday nights before 10pm (the new cutoff) anyway? You imagine a lot of their business is in the middle of the night
  • edited May 2020
    Its not just over 60s its anyone with a freedom pass, due to my epilepsy I cant get a driving license so get a freedom pass, which entitles me to free travel ok buses, underground and DRL and anytime and National Rail after 9.30, but with the new measures I wont be able to get a bus, underground on DRL until after 9.30 either

Up until now evenings weren't covered by the CC anyway

AND how many people take an Uber on Friday and Saturday nights before 10pm (the new cutoff) anyway? You imagine a lot of their business is in the middle of the night
    You are probably right. Like any mini cab company or taxi drivers around the country will find the busiest time will be during unsociable hours. Late at night.

However, if you work within the cc zone during 7-7 you only have to look at the amount of vehicles with the green roundel to see how many their actually are. The driver will always make that money back from the passenger paying the small charge.
  • Its not just over 60s its anyone with a freedom pass, due to my epilepsy I cant get a driving license so get a freedom pass, which entitles me to free travel ok buses, underground and DRL and anytime and National Rail after 9.30, but with the new measures I wont be able to get a bus, underground on DRL until after 9.30 either
    You can still travel before 09.30 but you'll have to pay. It's done to deter people from travelling at the busiest times, just like the national bus passes for over 65s (which also have an evening cut off). 
  • Sign of things to come. Expecting significant tax rises and increased charges
  • Jints said:
    Sign of things to come. Expecting significant tax rises and increased charges
     Didn't take long did it.

But if it helps pay for another third world response to a worldwide pandemic I'm all for it.
  • The other problem TfL have is the delay to the Elizabeth Line (ie crossrail) - not only the extra costs, but the missing income which would have been budgeted for when the fares freeze was worked out.  TfL have had massive cuts certainly for backoffice staff to help try to balance the books over the last few years, but there was no way they'd be able to cover continuing to run a service - albeit a reduced service - when there's no income from buses and tubes are running but few passengers. 
  • Had never heard that term before. Don’t want to hear it again thanks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    Essential services, including construction and maintenance should have free entry to central London on a job by job basis (ie a licencing scheme).  Other traffic should be banned.  A 24 hour good quality public transport system means that unless you need to transport goods or equipment in you don't need to drive.

Why dont soldiers in movies ever buckle their helmets - Quora
  • Oh sorry forgot to say "in my opinion".

But you know I don't really believe that.
  • do you think this will still go ahead....?

I work nights in the city and it will cost me a extra £240pm

I start work at 20:45
  • Will be 7am-10pm from 22 June and be 7 days a week.  Will be exceptions/reimbursements for NHS staff, care home staff, local authority & charity staff carrying out pandemic work & vulnerable patients.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2020/june/temporary-changes-to-the-congestion-charge-to-secure-safe-recovery
  • TelMc32 said:
    Will be 7am-10pm from 22 June and be 7 days a week.  Will be exceptions/reimbursements for NHS staff, care home staff, local authority & charity staff carrying out pandemic work & vulnerable patients.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2020/june/temporary-changes-to-the-congestion-charge-to-secure-safe-recovery
    Not sure about the hours, there are hardly going to be many cyclists around after 8pm in the evening BUT it will affect night workers

7am to 7pm would be more reasonable
  • If you're in one of these vulnerable categories due you pay the charge and then have to get a refund?

Can see that causing TFL more work and how quick will the refund be paid? Look at the thread about holiday/air fare refunds.