Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congestion charge increase - And back Monday!

Comments

• Policy madness. Don't want you to use public transport due to the social distancing but then massively stop you from using your car which is THE safest way of not catching CV19.

And they say it's about air quality & not about the money. Bollox.
    Actually, they say it’s about both.  The money part because of the conditions imposed by central Government for the bailout required.
  • Charges up from today, so who is walking or cycling instead?
  • Noticed whilst riding last week that they haven’t changed all the signage, still says Mon-Fri 7-7(or whatever it was), surely the first few people caught will have some fun with that???
  • Fumbluff said:
    Noticed whilst riding last week that they haven’t changed all the signage, still says Mon-Fri 7-7(or whatever it was), surely the first few people caught will have some fun with that???
    Aah the above was referencing NE London last Friday but I noticed in NW London today that the signs are having stickers stuck over the times/days on them to correct them....
  • do you think this will still go ahead....?

I work nights in the city and it will cost me a extra £240pm

I start work at 20:45
     Yes mate. Me too. It's a f***** joke. Congestion in the city of London at weekends is largely non existent. They may as well just call it the 'screw you charge'

Policy madness. Don't want you to use public transport due to the social distancing but then massively stop you from using your car which is THE safest way of not catching CV19.

And they say it's about air quality & not about the money. Bollox.
     Oh yeah. The great air quality fallacy.

Tell that to the thousands that reside on the border of the congestion charge who, judging by what I've just seen, are about to see pollution levels blown out of the park by the amount of cars that are now trying to avoid going into the city and are trying to go around it!

Still. Got to pay Sidiq/Tory £1.6billion mismanagement black hole somehow.

Feckless twats!

• TfL told to hike fares and strip elderly of free travel to access new £1bn bailout

Measures including extending congestion charge area ‘totally unacceptable to the mayor’, source saysConditions such as extending a £15 congestion charge to the North and South Circular and taking free travel away from children and older people would be totally unacceptable to the mayor”, the source added.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tfl-bus-london-underground-fare-free-travel-bailout-sadiq-khan-b1058724.html

• Only in this country would any government 'float' charging People more money to go and earn money when many people have spent the last few months earning next to no money.

If the centre of London is anything to go by, this really would be the last nail in the capitals coffin.
  • Would cost £15 to drive and park near the valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• rananegra said:
    Pretty ironic seeing as Boris got to be mayor by removing the affluent parts of West London from the congestion charge and now he's forcing it onto the poorer parts of London.
    There’s no irony at all 
    TCO knows that enough gullible berks voted for Boris as mayor a decade or so ago. They know SK is getting pelters for the ConCharge and fares increases imposed on TFL by the tories this year.
    it’s pure simplistic political chicuntery with added profiteering 
    when this is imposed the incumbent mayor will get the blame 
    london usually elects Labour mayor 
    Tories shifted the ConCharge boundaries before purely for votes
    If there’s another tory mayor they’ll do it again 
    they believe the electorate is stupid enough to fall for it again 
    the timing of this ‘leak’ exposes precisely TCO’s low opinion of the electorate Page 1 Scummings’s playbook
    And their friends/paymasters get the contract for collecting and pursuing the charges 
    Full disclosure: road pricing for fossil fuelled personal transport is ecologically imperative just sociologically unpalatable 
    The accelerated migration away from the cities will mitigate this as an issue within a decade 
  • edited October 2020
    Is the infrastructure in place to monitor the movement of traffic entering the area inside the NC/SC?  there must be a thousand or so roads to monitor, installing cameras etc will not be done overnight and how much will that cost. I know the low emissions zone was to be extended to the area inside NC/SC, but have seen little evidence of any monitoring devices being put in place. I also think that SK/TFL are scaremongering with free travel passes as these are paid for by the local councils. He could impose time restrictions when a pass could be used.     
  • The CC was introduced to remove congestion in London - the avg speed now is about 7mph, not much change there.
    The expanded CC zone was introduced to further improve traffic flow - hasn't worked.
    The ULEZ was introduced to improve air quality - not much change there.
    The expanded ULEZ will be introduced to further improve air quality - I wonder what will happen ? :smile:

It's not Cummings, this is right out of the Blair/Brown stealth tax handbook - make the punters pay again for the things they have already paid for.

After paying for public transport in London since I was 5 (yes, kids did pay before), now over 60, I am going to be asked to pay again.

In fairness to the Mayor though, public transport in London has been too cheap for many years (IMO). Folk are taking 2 bus journeys for £1.70, whilst drinking a coffee they paid £3 for.

I wonder if the "zones" system could be replaced with a more direct "miles traveled"  pricing structure, where the journey price reduced as you accumulated more miles traveled over the day/week/month/year ? - just a thought.
  • TBH if you're over 60, you only have to pay for public transport early mornings. 

And if you get a bus there's not a lot of folk on them drinking £3 coffees. 
  • I think it's great that the congestion charge is being extended. 

Disappointed I apparently have to give the credit to Boris rather than Sadiq. 
  • Transport for London (TfL) has secured a last-minute extension of its bailout to keep services running for two weeks.

The government will continue the terms of the current £1.6bn bailout package, until 31 October - roughly equivalent to £113m.

The original bailout was due to run out on Saturday.

The mayor's office claimed the government was asking for the £15 congestion charge to the North and South Circular.

A spokesperson added "taking free travel away from children and older people" was a red line for the mayor.

City Hall had complained of punitive conditions attached to the first grant at the last minute, including extra borrowing, slashing free travel for older people and under 18s and raising fares next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54568920
  •  Extending the Congestion Charge to include both the North & South Circulars is bonkers. I can (sort of) understand charging vehicles to go into Central London, where there is a great tube & bus network & lots of people going in are commuters. But lots of traffic on the roads outside of that are people going about their daily business & parents doing school runs etc. No way they should be charged £15 everytime they use the South Circular for example. 
    Absolutely bonkers. The way things stand, If my partner wants to go and visit her younger sister who lives in Eltham just outside of the zone, she’ll pay nothing. If she wants to visit her elderly sister in Kidbrooke, just inside of the zone, she pays £15 for the privilege. 

As another example, Charlton Park RFC is just inside the zone in Kidbrooke, most of the players come from a Kent postcode. They ain’t gonna pay £45 a week to play and train when they’re amateurs. 

Definitely needs a rethink otherwise they’ll be riots 
  •  Extending the Congestion Charge to include both the North & South Circulars is bonkers. I can (sort of) understand charging vehicles to go into Central London, where there is a great tube & bus network & lots of people going in are commuters. But lots of traffic on the roads outside of that are people going about their daily business & parents doing school runs etc. No way they should be charged £15 everytime they use the South Circular for example. 

Just another stealth tax. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe if Sadiq had spent less money on shit like all of these cycle lanes then TFL would have more £££'s

• Did I also see the zone will be extended as far as Clapham, Woolwich and Catford? Following the south circular
  • sam3110 said:
    Did I also see the zone will be extended as far as Clapham, Woolwich and Catford? Following the south circular
    Yes
  • I'd like to know how much TFL have scraped back in fines from those who have entered bank junction in the past few months.

The new social distance pavement measures have made it almost impossible to avoid bank junction when travelling through the city. That's a £65/130 fine for any car between 7am to 7pm.

Funny that.
  • cafc999 said:
    Maybe if Sadiq had spent less money on shit like all of these cycle lanes then TFL would have more £££'s

Maybe if there wasn't a global pandemic on then tfl would have more £££s
    Agreed, but seeing as they are currently spunking £££'s installing cycle lanes all through Lewisham & Catford at the moment seems a but stupid. Maybe, during this pandemic they could have saved those £££'s by not undertaking this project?

Just a thought
  • edited October 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Did I also see the zone will be extended as far as Clapham, Woolwich and Catford? Following the south circular
    The ULEZ is being extended to the north and south circulars next year

The government is threatening TfL, that to get a financial bailout the congestion charge zone should also to be extended to the north and south circulars. To me that would be political suicide for the Tories in London. South and Southwest London actually get off quite lightly as the A205 is such a weirdly shaped (and useless) road. but vast amounts of North London would be caught by this.

• I'd like to know how much TFL have scraped back in fines from those who have entered bank junction in the past few months.

The new social distance pavement measures have made it almost impossible to avoid bank junction when travelling through the city. That's a £65/130 fine for any car between 7am to 7pm.

Funny that.
    Add the new bishopsgate bus gate to that too. Mon - Fri 7-7.

I suppose all them fines will help pay the 500 odd staff on 150k salaries inc them million pound goodbye golden handshakes.