Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photos of you as a nipper

Comments

• Options
    You’re right. I could just about walk with that coat on. It was so heavy. :)
  • Options
    Henske said:
    That's a seriously great photo 
  • Options
    Henske said:
    That's a seriously great photo 
    Glad you like it. If it had been in colour you would seen a bright red nose too. On me I mean The snowman’s nose was black made from a lump of coal from our outside bunker. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Missed this the first time around. Me in about 1968

You look weirdly similar to young photos of my brother.....
  • Options
    I think this would have been at Invicta
    Where all proper Charlton fans started out before moving on to Sherington...my brother sent me an article about Daniel Day Lewis turning up for a milestone anniversary (I think) that had appeared in the local paper. Turns out he went to Invicta as well and he reckons we were a bit rough, or words to that effect...bleeding cheek
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where all proper Charlton fans started out before moving on to Sherington...my brother sent me an article about Daniel Day Lewis turning up for a milestone anniversary (I think) that had appeared in the local paper. Turns out he went to Invicta as well and he reckons we were a bit rough, or words to that effect...bleeding cheek
    D D Lewis was in my class at both Invicta and Sherrington. He said he learnt to act at Sherrington because it was so rough, i can’t remember it being like that though. He was often round my house for tea but when i went to his i had to sit on the doorstep and wait.

His comment about going to millwall ‘with the lads’ is a mistake, he went to Charlton with me, we would bunk in and if it was boring we’d bunk out again behind the Covered end. The corner shop down by the oak would sell us 5 Park drive and we’d go to the deer park and cough our hearts up.
  • Options
    My first experience of loss. I adored that balloon.

How are you doing Freddie?
  • Options
    All this talk of Sherington makes me feel very nostalgic. I too don't remember it being rough - mind you I was in the genteel girls' playground! I didn't move there from Invicta so can I give a shout out to any of us from Thorntree Infants. Dare I admit it - in 1962 at the tender age of 7 I was the May Queen there and my life has never been the same!!🤣 👸
  • Options

You had a VW????
    Beautiful photo 😍
  • Options
    I went to Fossdene infants school but moved to Sherington for primary school at age 7 (also in 1962 @lindos480) because it was seen by my parents of a higher educational and behavioural standard! It wasn't particularly rough - just a couple of fights most days in the playground.
  • Options
    Things i remember about Sherrington,

learning to swim in the little pool,
    Mr Charman, probably the best teacher i’ve ever had. Not fogetting his brown suit.
    learning to get good at football.
  • Options

Love the little Adolf Hitler moustache......was it real?
  • Options
    Here’s another local school in the late 50’s. Halstow Road, my infant/primary school. Anyone else go there?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    D D Lewis was in my class at both Invicta and Sherrington. He said he learnt to act at Sherrington because it was so rough, i can’t remember it being like that though. He was often round my house for tea but when i went to his i had to sit on the doorstep and wait.

His comment about going to millwall ‘with the lads’ is a mistake, he went to Charlton with me, we would bunk in and if it was boring we’d bunk out again behind the Covered end. The corner shop down by the oak would sell us 5 Park drive and we’d go to the deer park and cough our hearts up.
    How old is he (or you)? When I looked at his Wikipedia page there’s a bit which I thought doesn’t quite fit with the (Hollywood ?) age that was given. I would have been there around the same time 
  • Options

How old is he (or you)? When I looked at his Wikipedia page there’s a bit which I thought doesn’t quite fit with the (Hollywood ?) age that was given. I would have been there around the same time 
    I’m 63, born 1957
  • Options

Mr Charman, probably the best teacher i’ve ever had. Not fogetting his brown suit.
    Mr Charman's saying I recall was Tempus Fugit (time flies).
    He must have been late 80's (69-73) and was working part time.
  • Options

I hated that swimming pool.
    I had constant verucas.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Me and a couple of mates built a model boat when we were at Fossdene and got dragged round to Sherrington to see if it would float in that pool. Biggest waste of a journey I've ever been on. Thing capsized and sunk sithin about 30 seconds. It was a long old walk back.....

• Options
    lindos480 said:
    All this talk of Sherington makes me feel very nostalgic. I too don't remember it being rough - mind you I was in the genteel girls' playground! I didn't move there from Invicta so can I give a shout out to any of us from Thorntree Infants. Dare I admit it - in 1962 at the tender age of 7 I was the May Queen there and my life has never been the same!!🤣 👸
    It wasn't rough at all (69-73).
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I’m 63, born 1957
    Ok, thanks for telling me. I’m 2 years older. DDL’s Wikipedia page says he was born in 1957 also (obviously if he was in the same class as you) and that 2 years after his birth the family moved to croombs hill in Greenwich but that blue plaque says his father lived in the house from 1957 to 1972, which is the bit that confused me. His parents didn’t divorce until he was a teenager according to the Wikipedia page. Wikipedia isn’t that reliable but I would have thought his page would have been corrected if it was wrong.
  • Options
    Me and a couple of mates built a model boat when we were at Fossdene and got dragged round to Sherrington to see if it would float in that pool. Biggest waste of a journey I've ever been on. Thing capsized and sunk sithin about 30 seconds. It was a long old walk back.....

But your heart will go on?
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    I was at Thorntree nursery and infants. Even escaped from the nursery when I was 3 and managed to walk all the way home, over the train tracks, in the Horse for a swift half, then along the main road to our gaff opposite the Vic pub. Let me mum know I was home by bashong on the window with a milk bottle
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    I was at Thorntree nursery and infants. Even escaped from the nursery when I was 3 and managed to walk all the way home, over the train tracks, in the Horse for a swift half, then along the main road to our gaff opposite the Vic pub. Let me mum know I was home by bashong on the window with a milk bottle

You been drinking with those millwall fans again ?.