Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Well said
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Off_it said:
    The reason the Premier League bigwigs want to get things going again is purely about money. End of.

They dont give a fuck about public health. They dont give a fuck about the integrity of the competition. They dont give a fuck about the entertainment aspect. They dont give a fuck about the fans.

They just care about the money and the whole gravy train coming off the rails. 

Well, maybe it's time it did. Maybe then football will get its head out its arse and move back towards what really matters, before its destroyed forever.

Fuck the Premier League. Fuck em.
    I completely get all this, but if the Premier league worked out a way to filter some extra money down through the leagues to support the (likely many) clubs in leagues one and two who will now be struggling badly, then i think it would do them a lot of good. I don't doubt they don't give a fuck about the lower leagues, but Gary Neville was right a couple of weeks back when he said something needs to be done.

For me personally i've got no issue with them trying to look at ways to restart. Whether they can of course is another matter entirely. But whether we like it or not football is an absolutely huge business and the longer it goes on without a restart, the more money it haemorrhages, the more clubs across all leagues it threatens and that's not sustainable. Obviously the top players will be ok as they're already millionaires, but lower league clubs/players and staff at all clubs (i read Man Utd employ over 3,000 staff at every home game), these will all be affected.

So whilst i get the health aspect entirely as no one wants people to die, and obviously i understand people saying we shouldn't resume until it's safe. But what are we classing as safe? No new daily cases? A vaccine? This virus threat will be around for a long time yet, so would people really rather there was no football for potentially another year and 30 clubs went bust?  Meanwhile we have people packing onto tube trains yesterday and parks will be packed across the country if it's sunny on the next bank holiday.
  • Options
    A player from FC Minsk has confirmed Coronavirus, a league that has been playing still.

Surely all his team mates now need to be checked plus the last 2 teams they have played will need to be checked

Could be an end to the league in Belarus for a while if anyone else has it and if they do it should show Germany and England that its  not safe to restart our leagues
    Not sure, Belarus still playing is more a political thing (their president doesn’t think the virus is anything to worry about). 
  • Options
    If they don’t finish and it’s calculated on PPG then we are screwed.
    Everyone wants football back, but at what cost.
    I don’t see how they can finish unless they just wait and compete the season when it’s safe. Even if that’s in 2021.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    The reason the Premier League bigwigs want to get things going again is purely about money. End of.

They dont give a fuck about public health. They dont give a fuck about the integrity of the competition. They dont give a fuck about the entertainment aspect. They dont give a fuck about the fans.

Well, maybe it's time it did. Maybe then football will get its head out its arse and move back towards what really matters, before its destroyed forever.

Too right mate 
  • Options
    Whilst I agree they’re greedy immoral wankers etc etc and I also think completion seems far fetched in reality... in fairness, football and the premier league have as much right as any other business to at least consider how they might be able to restart operating

...stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:

Too right mate 

• Options
    I think when football restarts there will have to be a massive shift in financial structure. I think the players will be the ones who have to take on most of that burden. The massive majority of money goes into clubs and straight out the other end in an unsustainable fashion. In the championship at least players wages are going to have to come down I think to allow clubs to survive. 

I think/hope that if the current season is not complete by the standard
    contract end point it will force that to happen. Players out of contract will surely struggle to get any sort of deal from anyone and it will drive wages down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    In terms of the Transfer Market it'll be interesting to see how many clubs are forced to rely upon their Youth teams for a while

This could be a great opportunity for more Academy kids to get into Professional Football
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    I don’t see how they can finish unless they just wait and compete the season when it’s safe. Even if that’s in 2021.
    I'd be genuinely interested to see how many fans still miss football?

I missed it badly the first few weeks but as time's gone by I'm really not in any urgent rush to watch say Watford v Bournemouth behind closed doors being played at Burnley in what would feel like a friendly match with no bearing on the actual league table.

If you started the table afresh and just played all games behind closed doors you'd probably find crazy scores like you do in pre season and probably a real leveller of results, the form book would go out of the window. 

Maybe we could recapture our early season form if we had to resume behind closed doors. Maybe Leicester would win the league again. I genuinely don't see the remaining games played with the same buzz and just see it happening only for the sake of money.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Off_it said:

Totally agree, sounds  like Danny Rose agrees as well!  Although I don’t agree with some of his views. 
  • Options
    MartinCAFC said: IPO
    CafcSCP said:
    I'd be genuinely interested to see how many fans still miss football?

I missed it badly the first few weeks but as time's gone by I'm really not in any urgent rush to watch say Watford v Bournemouth behind closed doors being played at Burnley in what would feel like a friendly match with no bearing on the actual league table.

If you started the table afresh and just played all games behind closed doors you'd probably find crazy scores like you do in pre season and probably a real leveller of results, the form book would go out of the window. 

Maybe we could recapture our early season form if we had to resume behind closed doors. Maybe Leicester would win the league again. I genuinely don't see the remaining games played with the same buzz and just see it happening only for the sake of money.
    I’m desperate to get back to watching Charlton with family and friends and being at the matches.

I have zero interest in turning on the television to watch premier league football. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020

We have more under contract than I thought

Bet that includes: Maynard-Brewer, Doughty etc. rather than seasoned professionals
  • Options
    That table above really reflects our budget and reliance on players on short term contracts and loan with virtually half the squad eligible to leave at the end of June - we're left with 14 players (out of 27) as opposed to a well run and funded club like Brentford who will have 29/30 available.
  • Options
    I'm amazed that Brentford have 29 players under contract past June and only 1 out of contract then

But then their model is different with no academy, so I assume the large number of young (adult) players they signed are being counted
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I completely get all this, but if the Premier league worked out a way to filter some extra money down through the leagues to support the (likely many) clubs in leagues one and two who will now be struggling badly, then i think it would do them a lot of good. I don't doubt they don't give a fuck about the lower leagues, but Gary Neville was right a couple of weeks back when he said something needs to be done.

For me personally i've got no issue with them trying to look at ways to restart. Whether they can of course is another matter entirely. But whether we like it or not football is an absolutely huge business and the longer it goes on without a restart, the more money it haemorrhages, the more clubs across all leagues it threatens and that's not sustainable. Obviously the top players will be ok as they're already millionaires, but lower league clubs/players and staff at all clubs (i read Man Utd employ over 3,000 staff at every home game), these will all be affected.

So whilst i get the health aspect entirely as no one wants people to die, and obviously i understand people saying we shouldn't resume until it's safe. But what are we classing as safe? No new daily cases? A vaccine? This virus threat will be around for a long time yet, so would people really rather there was no football for potentially another year and 30 clubs went bust?  Meanwhile we have people packing onto tube trains yesterday and parks will be packed across the country if it's sunny on the next bank holiday.
    Hence the confusion with Boris's statements in Parliament. There are certain places in the country where the chances of contracting the virus are quite high- whereas in other less densely populated areas the chances diminish. As much as I would love to see the season resume - even behind closed doors- I believe safety of players and officials come first. One can only imagine the shit-storm if one or more players contracted the virus after playing a match. So as the safety of participants (whether players or officials) cannot be guaranteed for me the season should be declared void.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently, from Wednesday you can now play sport together, but only if you're all from the same family.

Norwich v Ipswich is therefore live on Sky Thursday at 8pm
    So Millwall will be OK then.
  • Options
    That table above really reflects our budget and reliance on players on short term contracts and loan with virtually half the squad eligible to leave at the end of June - we're left with 14 players (out of 27) as opposed to a well run and funded club like Brentford who will have 29/30 available.
    Let's see how well "funded" they are later this year. 

2 grounds to pay for, 29 players on "pre crash" contracts, transfer market likley to crash, major external investor makes his money on sports betting. 

I highlighted them as one of the supprise casualties a month or so ago. 
  • Options
    I'm amazed that Brentford have 29 players under contract past June and only 1 out of contract then

But then their model is different with no academy, so I assume the large number of young (adult) players they signed are being counted
    But on the flip side if they got promoted to the Premier League they'd have to pretty much go with that 29 man squad or shift out at least 10 of them to make a few signings and then likely having to take a big loss on the players they'd have to let go.

We actually got a bit lucky with how many players we could let go off the books last summer. For example if we'd still had Reeves contracted for another year would we have signed Gallagher on loan?

That said I'm probably nit picking a bit, I'd say somewhere in the middle where you can always clear a few players of the books each summer isn't a bad place to be in.
  • Options
     Cafc43v3r said:

2 grounds to pay for, 29 players on "pre crash" contracts, transfer market likley to crash, major external investor makes his money on sports betting. 

They have more chance of surviving for at least one season than a lot of other clubs. They showed a £20m profit in 2019 after all. Sports betting will return in a nanosecond of sport doing so. 

"In the land of the blind" the top 3 side that has 29 first team players available will always out do the one that is in the relegation zone with just 14 to select from. 
  • Options
    It rather depends on who you have under contract really

If all your top talent is under contract beyond June, and all your highly paid deadwood about to released it's perfect. On the other hand if it's the other way round...
  • Options
     Cafc43v3r said:

They have more chance of surviving for at least one season than a lot of other clubs. They showed a £20m profit in 2019 after all. Sports betting will return in a nanosecond of sport doing so. 

"In the land of the blind" the top 3 side that has 29 first team players available will always out do the one that is in the relegation zone with just 14 to select from. 
    I am not saying we are better off by any stretch, just the 29 players isn't as rosie as it sounds.  Their whole business basis is selling players, if the market collapses they won't be able to sell anyone. 

Are they better placed than us, of course they are.  But I think they could suffer badly. 
  • Options
    I can’t see that the season won’t now get completed. I thought that safety and common sense would prevail but the PL and EFL are determined and they now have the government support. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I’ve been saying all along that I don’t think the season can be completed, even behind close doors. I think that the players are much less keen on the idea than they are admitting, and the health risks are too high, even with testing. 

We’ve been arguing about whether we cancel the season and just pretend it never happened, or try to base promotion and relegation on various systems; the points that each club has one up to now, average points per game (PPG), or taking the points total halfway through the season. Another option is to have only promotion and no relegation, meaning the Premier League would have two or three extra clubs for one season.

Well I’m proud to say that I’ve solved the problem, while enjoying a coffee and biscuits down at the allotment. I’m sure you’ll all agree that it’s obviously the fairest solution, and I’m pretty sure the EFL will be desperate to adopt it once I’ve presented it to them, virtually. 

It’s based on a formula (the ‘Seed formula’) that includes points won (P), and budget (B), weighted so that clubs aren’t over penalised for having a few quid in their pockets. But they are penalised for trying to buy success. 
    So: P + (B/4) = X (where ‘X’ is the Seed formula points total).
    I’m delighted to present to you my definitive end of season Championship table:

1 Leeds (52)
    2 West Brom (51)
    3 Millwall (49) *
    4 Notts Forest (48)
    4 Preston (48)
    4 Blackburn (48)
    7 Brentford (44)
    8 Cardiff (42.5)
    8 QPR (42.5)
    10 Swansea (41.5)
    11 Derby (40.5)
    11 Luton (40.5)
    13 Sheff Wed (40)
    14 Bristol City (39)
    15 Fulham (38.5)
    16 Reading (38)
    17 Brum (36.5)
    18 CAFC (35)
    18 Wigan (35)
    18 Hull City (35)
    21 Barnsley (31)
    22 Huddersfield (30)
    22 Stoke (30)
    24 Middlesbrough (28.5)

(*Nothing to do with any hidden personal preferences.)

I’m working on solving the Covid-19 crisis now, over a bowl of soup. 
  • Options

Haven’t they survived by buying players cheap to sell at a big profit ? The current situation with a new stadium to pay for as well might be a bigger issue for them